Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Having to mount my 285/75/16 to the stocker wheels. What size wheel spacer?

Old 11-10-2008, 02:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having to mount my 285/75/16 to the stocker wheels. What size wheel spacer?

I want to order a set of Pro Comp 8069's but they are completly sold out everywere until december. I am taking a trip to Ohio begining of december so I may need to mount my 285/75/16's to the stock wheels. I will be lifted on the 2" sonoransteel 1.2 lift. What size spacer should I use for the stock wheels, and were do you guys reccomend I purchase one from? This is for a 99 4runner limited 4wd. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Punch; 11-10-2008 at 02:20 PM.
Old 11-10-2008, 02:26 PM

1"

WabFab

You might not need it now, but the extra width is nice, and you will most likely need it with the new wheels since I dont think they come with proper backspacing.

Last edited by mysubaruimp; 11-10-2008 at 02:44 PM.
Old 11-10-2008, 02:37 PM

Shouldn't need em.
Bigblock
Old 11-10-2008, 02:56 PM

first, you would need them. i have almost the same setup as yours, except mine is SR5. i have tried 285's on stock rims, let me tell ya, you will need them spacers in the front to clear the UCA's.

take off the front wheel, messure how much of the wheel stud sticks out, that's the minimum thickness of wheel spacers you need to get without replacing all the studs. i had 1-1/4" spacers on mine and it barely cleared it.
Old 11-10-2008, 03:02 PM

For your trip, I'd leave your stockers on for three reasons:

1) Spacers are a hassle and if not properly mounted, very dangerous.
2) MPG will be better with the stock tires.
3) Mounting on stock rims, then remounting on your new rims plus the cost of spacers will add up.

Then after your trip, get those Pro-Comps.
Old 11-10-2008, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by TC4RNR
first, you would need them. i have almost the same setup as yours, except mine is SR5. i have tried 285's on stock rims, let me tell ya, you will need them spacers in the front to clear the UCA's.

take off the front wheel, messure how much of the wheel stud sticks out, that's the minimum thickness of wheel spacers you need to get without replacing all the studs. i had 1-1/4" spacers on mine and it barely cleared it.
What wheels are you running? I run 1" spacers and clear 315/75/16 KM2s without an issue. 285s had tons of room. I have the 5 spoke star wheels.
Old 11-10-2008, 03:39 PM

i rubbed slightly on my A arm in the front. 1/4 inch spacers from pep boys fixed that right up and i still have plenty of thread on my wheel lugs. one day, ill get around to shaving my A arm down a bit but this works fine for now. it also brings the wheels out to be PERFECTLY in line with my limited fender flares and looks very sexy
Old 11-10-2008, 03:47 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I run 285's/stock rims with no spacers and don't rub when street driving.
Old 11-10-2008, 03:53 PM

These would be on the 5 star wheel.

Originally Posted by mysubaruimp
1"

WabFab

You might not need it now, but the extra width is nice, and you will most likely need it with the new wheels since I dont think they come with proper backspacing.
The new wheels are 16x8 with a 4" BS. I have read so many opinions about that set up, but I think I should be alright.

Originally Posted by cackalak han
For your trip, I'd leave your stockers on for three reasons:

1) Spacers are a hassle and if not properly mounted, very dangerous.
2) MPG will be better with the stock tires.
3) Mounting on stock rims, then remounting on your new rims plus the cost of spacers will add up.

Then after your trip, get those Pro-Comps.
1) I've read that spacers that bolt to your hub with longer lugs are perfectly safe, am I wrong?

2 & 3) Money really isn't an issue with that. I really want to put my new mud tires to the test up in snow country.

So would everyone agree that if I add a 1/4 spacer and shave my A-arms down that I should have plenty of room? Now with the new 16x8 wheels with a 4" BS I should be in the clear. What if I don't shave the A-arms?

Your guys thoughts?

Last edited by Punch; 11-10-2008 at 03:55 PM.
Old 11-10-2008, 04:10 PM

Ohio now why would you want to come here !!!!! what part you coming to ?
Old 11-10-2008, 04:15 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
DO NOT SHAVE YOUR A-ARMS!

I tried an old set of 1/4" spacers, they did not allow the lugs to get enough threads
Old 11-10-2008, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by swaycleveland
Ohio now why would you want to come here !!!!! what part you coming to ?
I have a good friend down here in the Air Force with me and he's going back home and asked if I wanted to come hang out and party for a week. He lives in a little town south of Cincinnati.

Originally Posted by ocdropzone
DO NOT SHAVE YOUR A-ARMS!

I tried an old set of 1/4" spacers, they did not allow the lugs to get enough threads
Don't shave your A-arms? Why not? sonoransteel sells them http://sonoransteel.com/store_shaved_upper_arm.html and Steve seems to be a very knowledgable person. What is your reasoning?
Old 11-10-2008, 04:39 PM

X2 on the sonoran steel A arm product.

but i dont think you will need them if you are comfortable with the 1/4 inch wheels spacers. some may feel that there is not enough thread but if u remove your center cap and watch how much it is, it put my mind at ease. just check ur lugs.
Old 11-10-2008, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by onroadrunner
X2 on the sonoran steel A arm product.

but i dont think you will need them if you are comfortable with the 1/4 inch wheels spacers. some may feel that there is not enough thread but if u remove your center cap and watch how much it is, it put my mind at ease. just check ur lugs.
A 1" spacer would probably have my tires stick out crazy far, wouldn't they? Does anyone make a 1/2" spacer that bolts to the hubs with new lugs?

I like the SS A arm, but I can't justify $250 dollars when I can do this myself. For people who don't feel they can do this, it's a great idea to buy them.
Old 11-10-2008, 06:28 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
You won't find a wheel spacer under 1".

You will find lots of "washers" 1/4" to 1/2" but these often require longer wheel studs.

Wheel spacers are perfectly safe, but like anything else, dangerous if not installed properly.

Old 11-10-2008, 06:59 PM

Lots of speculation on what may happen when you put the tires on there....to be honest, you will not know until you get it done. When i put 285/75 nittos on my stock wheels, they cleared the a-arms at full droop. The problem was at full turn when my tires rubbed the frame. So don't purchase anything until you get them mounted and see exactly what you need. Some people have mounted them without a problem and others couldn't even get them on there...

Last edited by shiftMX; 11-10-2008 at 07:00 PM.
Old 11-10-2008, 07:21 PM

waskillywabbit you have a PM.

ShiftMX, that seems to be the way I may have to go. I just want minimal down time when I through all this stuff on my runner.
Old 11-10-2008, 07:55 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Since you have a '99 4Runner (and hence hub-centric wheels), WabFab's spacers are technically not the correct application for your vehicle. Wabbit's spacers >might< work fine, or you might have a vibration you'll never get rid of.

The only true hub-centric that I've seen (that aren't custom) are Spidertrax Spacers; they are 1.25" thick.

http://www.spidertrax.com/s.nl/it.A/id.2294/.f

For the record, I was running 285x75r16s on stock alloys for a long time, they cleared the upper A-arm by only about a 1/4" though...

I needed a set of spacers to fit my 17" FJ Alloys, but thought that 1.25" would be too thick, so I designed a set of 0.75" spacers and had them made at a machine shop instead. They worked out well, but being a custom set you can't buy them from any companies, and I had to cut off about .25" of my wheel studs to get them to work.

http://www.ultimateyota.com/index.ph...6&topic=4657.0

Last edited by mastacox; 11-10-2008 at 07:59 PM.
Old 11-10-2008, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by mastacox
Since you have a '99 4Runner (and hence hub-centric wheels), WabFab's spacers are technically not the correct application for your vehicle. Wabbit's spacers >might< work fine, or you might have a vibration you'll never get rid of.

The only true hub-centric that I've seen (that aren't custom) are Spidertrax Spacers; they are 1.25" thick.

http://www.spidertrax.com/s.nl/it.A/id.2294/.f

For the record, I was running 285x75r16s on stock alloys for a long time, they cleared the upper A-arm by only about a 1/4" though...

I needed a set of spacers to fit my 17" FJ Alloys, but thought that 1.25" would be too thick, so I designed a set of 0.75" spacers and had them made at a machine shop instead. They worked out well, but being a custom set you can't buy them from any companies, and I had to cut off about .25" of my wheel studs to get them to work.

http://www.ultimateyota.com/index.ph...6&topic=4657.0

Oh geez, you just opened up a whole bunch more questions, lol.

I was told my wheels were not hub centric. I'm a little confused on what hub centric means but I believe it has to do how the wheel mounts to the hub, correct? If thats the case I need to make sure the ProComp 8069's I buy are the hub centric ones, correct? If I decide to run these spidertrax 1.25" spacers how bad are my tires going to stick out past my fender flares? (remember I have a limited). I wish I could see the pics but these Government computers here block photobucket. Are they pics with the spacers, wheels, and tires on?
Old 11-10-2008, 08:33 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Easy way to tell hub- vs. lug-centric is to look for how the wheel fits on the hub. If there is a tight fit of the hole in the wheel with a raised lip on the hub, then is it hub-centric (i.e. the wheel is centered on the hub). If there is a gap between the center of the wheel and the hub, then it is only the lug bolts/nuts that center the wheel (i.e. lug-centric):

On my '85, you can see a good 1/8" gap between the center hole in the wheel and the hub body:

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Having to mount my 285/75/16 to the stocker wheels. What size wheel spacer?