Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

have a question about oil on 87 4unner

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2004, 07:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
have a question about oil on 87 4unner

so my rig likes to eat oil ... especacially the synthetic kind so i followed the advice of my elder at work and went with a heavy weight 20 -50 now the rig purrs like a kitten just like when i bought it (yes i just learned a dealer trick ) but all is well my question is what kind of problems can i expect and how do you fix this kinda prob ? this rig has over 247000 miles on it i love it so i wanna keep it running .... last question if i change engines later on ( hope this won't be a prob) can i switch to a higher year like a 90-95 ? thank you ....
Old 03-07-2004, 07:40 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Not sure if I understand your question, but I assume how do you stop oil consumption. Oil consumption does not mean your engine is shot, it just has worn rings and or valve seals. This is normal, and this is why you re-build engines. You can probalby have you head re-surfaced and a valve job done for less than 100 bucks, being SOHC. The bottom end work will require you to pull the oil pan to get your pistons out, and if you can it'd be easier to yank the whole engine.
Old 03-07-2004, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by My99
Not sure if I understand your question, but I assume how do you stop oil consumption. Oil consumption does not mean your engine is shot, it just has worn rings and or valve seals. This is normal, and this is why you re-build engines. You can probalby have you head re-surfaced and a valve job done for less than 100 bucks, being SOHC. The bottom end work will require you to pull the oil pan to get your pistons out, and if you can it'd be easier to yank the whole engine.
thanks that's what i was trying to say
Old 03-07-2004, 10:25 PM

How much oil were you loosing before you switched to 20-50? My 87 has almost 220,000 and I go through about 1.5 quarts per oil change (3000miles). I've used 20-50 since I've had it (~2 years) I am rebuilding the tranny this spring break and I plan on living with the warn rings untill I graduate next winter then I'll decide if its worth the rebuild or a new 4 door taco. I just wanted to see how yours was holding up with about as many miles as I will have next year . Thanks,

Erich
Old 03-08-2004, 06:30 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Erich_870
My 87 has almost 220,000 and I go through about 1.5 quarts per oil change (3000miles)
Mine does the same.

jackamot...
There is a Toyota part yard down the road from me out in Buckley. If you need anything give them a call.
Sometimes when they get a 4runner in and its beyond repair you can bring your tools with ya and start picking it apart.
http://www.alltoyotas.com/
Old 03-08-2004, 02:43 PM

How much oil were you loosing before you switched to 20-50? My 87 has almost 220,000 and I go through about 1.5 quarts per oil change (3000miles). I've used 20-50 since I've had it (~2 years) I am rebuilding the tranny this spring break and I plan on living with the warn rings untill I graduate next winter then I'll decide if its worth the rebuild or a new 4 door taco. I just wanted to see how yours was holding up with about as many miles as I will have next year . Thanks,

Erich
i would say about 1.5 to 2 at least ..since switching i usually go thru a quart every other tank or so . i try to pay closer attention due to the fact i blew the engine on my old celica ... 1989 ... i use the oil gauge and also listen to the engine when it's low it lets me know ... do you have a 5 speed or auto? have you run into any other probs.... ?
Old 03-08-2004, 03:00 PM

I have a 5 speed and I'm having it rebuilt this spring break. I wrote a reply asking about the shape of your paint last night, but the internet gremlins ate it or something. So I'll ask it again.

My rig is black, or was untill I washed it this weekend. I have a patch on my roof that changed to primer gray soon after I bought it. I was just wondering how yours is holding up? On a side note, what should I do to remove a message written on my hood by my roommate. It says "Erich Loves the (Roster)" I can still see it after I washed it and scrubbed really good. Do I need to buff it out?? If thats the ticket, what does buffing intail? Just so you know the message was written out of provocation... I wrote that he liked small boys on his old toyota corolla first What can you do
Old 03-09-2004, 09:30 PM

I have a 5 speed and I'm having it rebuilt this spring break. I wrote a reply asking about the shape of your paint last night, but the internet gremlins ate it or something. So I'll ask it again.

My rig is black, or was untill I washed it this weekend. I have a patch on my roof that changed to primer gray soon after I bought it. I was just wondering how yours is holding up? On a side note, what should I do to remove a message written on my hood by my roommate. It says "Erich Loves the (Roster)" I can still see it after I washed it and scrubbed really good. Do I need to buff it out?? If thats the ticket, what does buffing intail? Just so you know the message was written out of provocation... I wrote that he liked small boys on his old toyota corolla first What can you do
haven't had any paint problems yet . but with an old vehicle you should see some . unless your rig was once in an accident and has been rebuilt and cheaply painted ... this happens alot auto spray paint does the trick ... the hood is tricky you can try buffing i would talk to a body shop or hit the junk yards for a used hood should be cheap theres lots of toyota pickups out there some parts are interchangeble ... hey i just painted my stock rims black the look a 100 pecent better .... finally found a trail to test out my rig on ... very cool . does your 4wd light give you any problems mine is funky and it bugs me ... my mechanic metioned it migh be ground wrong .
Old 03-09-2004, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by jackamot
the hood is tricky you can try buffing i would talk to a body shop or hit the junk yards for a used hood should be cheap theres lots of toyota pickups out there some parts are interchangeble ... hey i just painted my stock rims black the look a 100 pecent better .... finally found a trail to test out my rig on ... very cool . does your 4wd light give you any problems mine is funky and it bugs me ... my mechanic metioned it migh be ground wrong .
Yeah, I think buffing it out will do the trick, I just need to make sure I understand what it means. I got a power buffer from my folks, I just dont know if I'm supposed to put wax on the terry cloth cover or some unknown buffing compound If I need a new hood I think I'll my roommate. My 4wd light works fine. I had to replace the bulb behind my HVAC contrals this summer and i have noticed the map lights right above my rear view mirror are acting funny. They won't say on, like they have a loose wire or something :pat:

Painted your rims huh? Not a bad idea, were your's chromed? I don't think paint would stick to mine very well, plus I would love to have some new ones with some real backspacing. They would look some much better I have been thinking about sanding off the rust and painting the part of the wheel that is usally covered by the caps black and just leaving them off. I keep denting them when I take my wheel off anyway.

Erich
Old 03-10-2004, 03:14 AM

I've got about 330,000 on mine. I use 20w-50 most of the time, with 10w-40 in the winter since it does get cold here. I go through about 1 quart every 1500 miles or so. I've had the problems you ran into with synthetics, which is part of the reason why I don't usually run them.

I think you've nothing to fear running 20w-50 and hoping for a long life.

Originally Posted by jackamot
so my rig likes to eat oil ... especacially the synthetic kind so i followed the advice of my elder at work and went with a heavy weight 20 -50 now the rig purrs like a kitten just like when i bought it (yes i just learned a dealer trick ) but all is well my question is what kind of problems can i expect and how do you fix this kinda prob ? this rig has over 247000 miles on it i love it so i wanna keep it running .... last question if i change engines later on ( hope this won't be a prob) can i switch to a higher year like a 90-95 ? thank you ....