Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Have to buy the right vehicle very! soon

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2003, 12:46 PM
wif

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have to buy the right vehicle very! soon

Greetings, all. I have just finished reading many posts and can tell you are a knowledgeable and friendly group. I even did a search before posting and I think I "may" have found the answer to my question, which is about the quality of the ride in the 2003 Tacoma automatic 4x4 V-6 with TRD.

This is the vehicle we are looking at. We only need the 4x4 to access property at the beach in North Carolina a few times a year. Remainder of the time we'll use it for light hauling; no towing (so far); and as a personal vehicle. Getting to the beach from here is a 16-hour drive, including high elevations in mountains of Tennessee, thus the V-6.

I'm worried that the TRD suspension will make the ride rougher than w/o the TRD. Is this true?

BTW, I read about Bilsteins and will make note of that.

Locating this vehicle w/o the TRD is proving to be difficult. One dealer found one 500 miles a way. Maybe it's not worth it to look for one w/o the TRD. Also, we need the damn truck soon so we can drive it a bit before taking it on the 16-hour trip!

What do you say? What would you do?

Lastly, dealer is prepared to offer at invoice price. Think we should try to go even further? It's been on their lot since January.

Thanks so much.

Wif
Old 07-14-2003, 12:51 PM
Contributing Member

Go with the TRD. The locker alone makes it worth it. The TRD coils and the Bilstiens will not be an impact on ride quality. These are trucks so don't expect a car-like ride anyway. I'd buy it in a heart beat!!!

Oh, and welcome to the board!
Old 07-14-2003, 01:15 PM
wif

Locker

Gene, is the locker the gizmo that allows you take it out of 4WD when it's not necessary? I did read about this feature, but am not quite sure of its function. If yes, then we definitely want it.
We looked at a '98 and it had a "lock out" as the owner called it. My husband liked this feature. If it is the same as "lock out" then he is not even aware it's part of TRD.

You can tell who is the one doing all the information gathering in the family, eh?!
Old 07-14-2003, 01:21 PM
Contributing Member

Do you have to get new? You would save yourself a lot of money by going used...

Anway, I would definetly go with the TRD package. I had a 98 Tacoma LTD TRD and miss its off-road capability so much. The e-locker locks the rear differential, allowing both wheels to turn creating excellent traction and climbing ablility.

Good luck on your purchase!
Old 07-14-2003, 01:26 PM

The locker allows you to make both the rear wheels turn at the same time reguardless of traction to those wheels, where as if you have the locker disabled the rear wheels will not turn at the same time. Picture this - You have one wheel on pavement and one wheel on dirt. Without the locker engaged you take off - the wheel on the dirt will spin and the wheel on the pavement will not spin. This is called an Open Differential. Now you engage the locker in the same situation. Both of the rear wheels will spin reguardless of the traction to either wheel. This is called a Locked Differential, hence the term "locker". That's the best way that I can describe that to you.
Old 07-14-2003, 01:29 PM
wif

No, we don't have to buy new, but it has been difficult locating a recently used one. We did not exhaust all our possibilities though. We started to seriously look too late. Have to leave on vacation with the vehicle on Aug. 1.

Sounds like the traction will help in sand.

I located the '98 one; I'm the frugal one. My husband is starting to singing the I'm-over-50-and-I-deserve-a-new-car song. LOL

He drives an '87 Honda Hatchback color of rust.

Never buy a car when you're in a hurry will be my song from now on.
Old 07-14-2003, 01:34 PM
Contributing Member

I have an 02' PreRunner with stock shocks. If you wanna trade, I'd be more than happy to

Old 07-14-2003, 01:55 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Check out this FAQ section: https://www.yotatech.com/~corey/4runner_faq.htm
Old 07-14-2003, 08:48 PM
wif

I'm back...

Love that new car smell. We did it. My first post here today was the last bit of info gathering I did before going to the dealer tonight. I shared your responses with my husband beforehand. Want you to know that it really did help us go forward.

I think I did well: invoice price and 3.75% financing.

I just drove it about 30 minutes ago for the first time. He test drove one yesterday, but I declined. Once we got it home on familiar turf, I didn't feel so intimidated. I love it! In addition to its power and everything else technical, I think it's very sweet.

Breaking it in before the trip won't be hard to do.

Thank you, thank you. We'll be in touch more in the future I'm sure.

Cheers!
Wif
Old 07-14-2003, 09:04 PM
Contributing Member

Congratulations on your purchase, Wif! I'm sure you will be very pleased for many years to come. May we see the pictures?
Old 07-14-2003, 09:17 PM

yes pics would be lovely.

Now, aren't you glad you went with the TRD?
Old 07-15-2003, 07:30 AM

They are really great "feeling" vehicles.

Enjoy

edit for spelling

Last edited by PoorHouse; 07-15-2003 at 07:32 AM.
Old 07-15-2003, 10:30 AM
wif

Hi. Yes! We're both glad we went for the TRD. I am still on cloud nine today. Yes, it's a great feeling vehicle. I think I may become a truck enthusiast! I never in a million years thought I would say this, but after driving it last night, I told my husband that I would consider doing a recreational ride in it sometime--as long as it was in a designated area for such riding. He about fell over--and so did I! LOL

I'm sorry I don't have any pictures. We still use a 35mm camera. The only thing I could do is scan the photo in the brochure, so I'll spare you that. The color is "lunar mist" which is silver. It has the chrome not the color-keyed bumpers.
Old 07-15-2003, 11:35 AM
Contributing Member

Congratulations!!! Welcome to the board and I think you'll love the Tacoma. We have a 02 Double Cab, not TRD, but we use it as our primary vehicle for trips and hauling around the new baby.

Enjoy being a Toyota owner. Once you get one all other cars seem cheap and ill-engineered.

Have fun at the beach!!!