Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Has anyone tried this with "Rhinoliner"?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 09:39 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Has anyone tried this with "Rhinoliner"?

Hey everyone... I'm thinking of a spring\summer project and was wanting some opinions.

1. Instead of the normal bug guard, I was thinking of putting a strip of Rhinoliner (or some other product like it) on the first 10inches or so of my hood (hood is black already). I was thinking of this to cover up rock chips that are already on there and to prevent any more.

2. Rhinoliner a strip along both sides of the Runner along the bottom of the doors (there is a natural line where it would look right). I would like to do around the wheel wells also, but the line just isn't there. I don't think it would look good at all.

3. This is the one I need to try the most. My rear bumper (chrome) has a few small dents in it, the plastic trim along the top is chipped up on the edge (priced a new one from dealer... Over $180) and there are a few places of the chrome is bubbling and there is rust under it. So I saw one guy do his bumper on his limited (plastic I think) and it came out pretty good. What's the best way to take the chrome off the bumper to prep it for the Rhinoliner (I'm thinking a grinder with wire wheel on it)? Does all the chrome have to come off (I bet the liner wont stick to chrome)? Also, for $180 I don't think I'll be putting the plastic trim back on the top. So I was thinking of filling the holes (I'm guessing where the top trim goes in the bumper there are holes for the clips or what not). Then coating the whole thing with the liner.

Along with this, I'll most likely take the little chrome trim pieces off the wheel wells, I'll be getting black wheels and MAYBE take the running boards off so my runner will be solid black. What's your opinions on this cource of action? Should I go for it, or should I take a different path? Give me your ideas, opinions and suggestions.

Thanks!
Old 01-01-2008, 09:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the bumpers and door panels have been done before, it is popular to use herculiner because its much cheaper and DIY.

as for the hood, i think its a fine idea. not something i would do on my green vehicle, but then again i dont like the texture of rhinoliner.
Old 01-01-2008, 09:47 PM

I know MillerPKA ( https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f79/...97-sr5-115238/ ) has done the rockers and rear bumper. I plan on doing it when it get warmer out too
Old 01-01-2008, 10:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I take it that you are thinking of doing this on your '99 4runner?

personally, I don't like the way it looks when guys start bedlining things on the outside of thier rigs one piece at a time, esp if it's a near stock rig, it just doesn't look right to me, it's okay for lower doors and rockers maybe, but [stock] bumpers and hoods?

If you do decide to do it, I would go with a prof job done at a shop, I just think that it is extremely hard to get the do it yourself jobs to look right, esp if you are going to do it on your hood and anything you'll have to look at everyday, just my $0.02

I would look into just getting a bug/rock guard for the front, and if you pull the running boards, then put the clear vinyl stick on stuff along the bottom of the sides if you don't do the bedliner, otherwaise you'll get the same rock chips there too, and the same thing will happen in you wheel wells if you pull off the trim pieces, i would just paint the crom part of those black, there is a guy on here that did a write up on that (if you need one?) and he also did the whole hood and some other stuff in bedliner too

whatever you do, just make sure that you do it right, because it's your truck and your going to have to look at it everyday and if you don't like the bedliner it's going to be fun trying to fix or remove it, oh and all back 4runners look sick

Last edited by b.miller123; 01-01-2008 at 10:18 PM.
Old 01-01-2008, 10:32 PM
Contributing Member

Yes, this is on my '99

I saw the hood done fully in the liner and I have to say it looked neat when it was off the truck, but when it put on the truck, I had different opinions. The only other time I did any work with a "do it yourself" liner was a full size blazer canopy. That was easy and looked great. But as for my "Bug guard" or the sides, I think I would have a pro do it or at least someone who knows what they're doing. The back bumper.. I think I would have to do all the prep work myself (remove the chrome fill the holes, smooth out the dents).

With my truck being black already I think the sides and the bumper would look good (Would look like MillerPKAs truck, though it looks like he didn't go all the way up to his front wheel wells on his rocker panels. I would try to take mine all the way to the wheel wells.) I was looking at my hood today and I have a few smaller chips farther up on my hood (about 14" up or so). I would hate to cover that much with the liner, I was hoping for only 6-8 MAYBE 10 inches. I'll have to take a closer look at it and see how many would still show. If I do just a bug guard, I'm not fixing my hood any, so it would still need a paint job if I go that far. But I'm not throwing your suggestions out the door. I like all opinions and everyone's welcome.

There's a Rhinoliner place around here, I'll call them and get a price quote for the work and see how that effects my decision. As for DIY. I know of Huculiner, I've used the Duplacolor version, and I've even seen a kit put out by Bondo. I'm sure they are all just about the same....

As for painting the chrome trim pieces around the wheel wells.. I really like that idea. I'll have to look up that write up and read it. I didn't want to take them off (due to the rock chips), but I really like the solid black look.

Last edited by psraff; 01-01-2008 at 10:37 PM.
Old 01-01-2008, 10:47 PM

yeah, I have to do the wheel trim pieces myself too, and when I get around to replacing the windsheild, I'll do the trim around that too, my truck is gray, and I would like to get rid of all the chrome on it, as I think that it is tacky, and I have to do the rear slider too, as it's just aluminum, I think the black/grey look will be much better

the lower part of the doors do look good on millerpka's 4runner

you could probably ask then for a quote for if you did the prep work yourself too, as that could save some $$$, just make sure you know how they need it done
Old 01-02-2008, 12:36 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
there is a guy near me that took the DIY stuff and painted his whole bronco with it and if u ask me it looked like crap. but i have seen the 2-tone done on some toyotas and it looks really nice i think it is all in if u DIY and prep good or get a pro to do it and it will look good. if u half@$$ it, it shows in the finished product
Old 01-02-2008, 06:24 AM
Contributing Member

I second that brother!!!!

If it was on my '88 I would do it myself to learn how to do it. But not on my '99.
Old 01-02-2008, 04:00 PM
Contributing Member

prep is definitely the most decisive step. if you do plan on going the professional route, i would choose line x over rhino liner, just a thought
Old 01-02-2008, 05:46 PM

Not my cup o tea, but its not my truck:
Old 01-02-2008, 07:28 PM

I took off all the metal bumper pieces and brought them into line-x. They sprayed them for $60.

It has been a few years and has held up great.
Old 01-02-2008, 10:20 PM

What about a shot of powdercoat? You can choose any colour.
Old 01-03-2008, 05:45 AM
Contributing Member

I wouldn't do the hood but the bumper parts look nice on Greedy's truck.

Going crazy witrh Rhinoliner on what is still a newer vehicle won't help re-sale values.
Old 01-03-2008, 06:37 AM
Contributing Member

I think for now, I'll get prices for the rockers and the rear bumper. As for the bumper, I was thinking of just leaving that plastic off of it because the edge of it is beginning to break up. But looking at Greddy's I think it would like half assed without it (even if I do the work to fill any holes and smooth it out).

I'm not looking forward to spending $180 for a piece of plastic though.... I'll have to keep my eye out for someone parting their Runner out and see if I can get one. Do they just snap into place or are there screws holding it on there?
Old 01-03-2008, 07:28 AM

Doing the bumpers are ok, but the hood? Even though your 4Runner is black, it'd still look silly. Maybe getting some clear bra or something for the hood will be better.
Old 01-03-2008, 08:35 AM

I'm liking the Rhinoliner idea a lot too... It adds onto the rugged look of a 4Runner. Nice move guys... This makes me want to look for a place nearby that does Rhinoliner...
Old 01-03-2008, 09:22 AM

I had thought about this as well. If I had a limited or whatever model that came with the plastic on the bottom of the doors do those and the fender flares and probably aftermarket front and rear bumpers. I think that would look good esp with my silver color.

I think that I might do my little black plastic SR5 fender flares sometime. Probably after I remove the running boards in a couple if years.
Old 01-03-2008, 09:33 AM

Do it! I love that stuff! My rock rails and lower door panels are coated. If I had the time, I'd probably just cover the entire exterior.
Old 01-03-2008, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by Greedy
I took off all the metal bumper pieces and brought them into line-x. They sprayed them for $60.

It has been a few years and has held up great.
So no prep work for the Chrome? Do you think they could match the color of Limited Grey trim?
Old 01-03-2008, 11:07 AM

Yes!!!!!!!!!!!! You need to take a grinder or something of that nature to chrome before lining it! Chrome is very hard and nothing will stick to it.

Just look at my photos and ask me whatever, and I dont care if you bash it because I love it and have had many instances where I needed it for numerous trees on the trail.