Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Hard starting. HELP

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 05:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hard starting. HELP

My 4-Runner takes too long to start. Sometimes a really long time. It turns over fine, but doesn't start. The starter is working fine. So far I have replaced all of the following for this problem and maintenance too.

Timing belt
Water pump
Crank sensor
Cam sensor
Throttle position sensor
O2 sensor
Water temp sensor
Fuel pump
Fuel filter
Fuel pressure regulator
Circuit opening relay
EFI relay
3 ignition coils
Spark plugs
Wires
Cleaned MAF sensor
Cleaned IAC valve
All of these parts Toyota branded except for temp sensor

Funny thing is, I can relieve my fuel pressure or completely drain the fuel lines and it starts quicker after this than it does when it acts up. So, I'm sure it is not fuel related. Sometimes I can stop for only a minute and restart with very much trouble. Sometimes it start perfectly. By perfectly I mean with only about a second on the starter. Other times it may take 4-5 seconds. Doesn't seem like much, but if you think about it 4-5 seconds on the starter is way too long. Anyone with a suggestion, please help. This is an irritating problem and sometimes embarassing.
Old 05-11-2009, 05:04 PM

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/3...-heavy-105098/
Old 05-11-2009, 05:15 PM

My starter is working fine though. I have run this by all the mechanics at work, but they act like a Toyota is the plague.
Old 05-11-2009, 06:28 PM

Is your cold start injector working? or the thermal time switch that activates the cold start injector?
Old 05-12-2009, 05:14 AM

I guess I should have stated that it is a 3.4l. No cold start injector.
Old 05-13-2009, 05:27 PM

Any suggestions from anyone else? There is probably a simple fix that I'm just not thinking of. Simple but expensive I'm sure.
Old 05-13-2009, 05:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
fuel filter, grounds, Igniter. ???

how does it run and sound when it is running?
Old 05-13-2009, 05:54 PM

Have done fuel filter and checked all grounds shown in FSM. The ignitor is the only thing I haven't tried. I looking toward a possible bad coolant temp sensor. It has been replaced about a year ago and is aftermarket, but I'm not sure if it can even be the cause of my problems. Vehicle runs great otherwise.
Old 05-15-2009, 05:44 PM

Really doesn't seem like an igniter issue though!

Ok if you release the fuel pressure it starts faster
have you tried blowing through the return line to see if it is open?
not clogged!
Old 05-16-2009, 04:03 AM

Return line clear and free of blockage.
Old 05-16-2009, 04:20 AM

I think I'm going to have to come off the hip and buy a good diagnostic tool. I'm thinking Auterra or URD BR-3.
Old 05-16-2009, 04:25 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
heh. The most common, and I mean 99% of the time with hard starts is the contacts of the starter are starting to wear. Did you physically remove the starter and look at the contacts?

Usually you want to start with the easiest things, and since it looks like you never did anything with it, I'd go ahead and remove it, and replace the contacts or buy a new starter. This is a common problem with these trucks (...there aren't many, so its easy to remember the common ones)

I had slow/hard starts for months. The starter contacts were the culprit.

Obviously if the mechanics dislike Toyota, they must not be that smart...so I wouldn't take their advice.

You can open up the starter, bring the copper contacts in and Toyota will sell you just the contact kit. Its like $10

Last edited by BajaRunner; 05-16-2009 at 04:26 AM.
Old 05-16-2009, 12:16 PM

Yep, I have a new starter sitting here waiting to be put on. I figured my sarter issues were coming from the excess start times I'm having. It seems to operate normally, except it will not disengage sometimes. I have no engagement problems, but I will put the new one on now to see if it indeed is my whole problem.
Old 05-16-2009, 01:06 PM
Contributing Member

Definitely report back. I'd be surprised if it wasn't the starter.

Good luck.
Old 05-16-2009, 03:12 PM

I can only hope the starter fixes it. The problem is very intermittent. Hasn't done it in two day. I went to Lowes earlier and I didn't think it was ever going to start. Pretty embarrassing in a full parking lot. I don't know if it's just coincidence or not, but when it did it a little while ago I patted the gas and it fired right up. I came home and put the old TPS back on since I still had it. May have a dead spot in it. This is also a symptom of a IAC valve, but it is clean and checks out electricaly. It will be later next week before I can get the starter installed.
Old 05-16-2009, 04:38 PM

If the starter turns over the engine well this is not the issue
Honestly it sounds more like vapor lock than the starter!!
you can go ahead and throw money at the wrong issue like the last $600-$1000
you already have but this will not do any thing other than drain another $100 or so from your wallet!!

look somewhere that you have not already thought of!

all the starter does is turn over the engine it has that much to do with it starting!!

are there any present unread codes that have not thrown the CEL

is this issue only when it is warm? I mean only when the engine has been recently started and you attempt to crank it again?

break the return line when the line is under pressure and see if fuel comes out and if any air/gas vapor comes out!!

throw as much money at parts as you want butthis issue will not be solved till you eliminate the issue and the starter is not it!!

coolant temp sensor is more likely than the starter.
along with clogged fuel line or just plumb vapor lock!

seriously look there you go with starter!
Old 05-17-2009, 06:01 AM

I have no pending or stored codes since replacing timing belt. I replaced the belt after having misfire codes at highway speeds. I found that the previous owner had the belt replaced and the shop put the belt on backwards and did not torque the crank bolt properly. That resulted in a worn out crank gear.

I have these start up problems hot and cold. They do seem the worse when hot though. I have the most trouble with it when it's been parked for 10-15 mins or so. But sometimes it acts up after sitting overnight.

I haven't suspected the starter at all. I only had the replacement ready for when I have my problems resolved. All this extended cranking is taking its toll on the original starter.

I have considered that maybe the temp sensor, although fairly new, may be the culprit here. I had no problems at all until the truck set for a week or so while I was getting parts for the timing belt and doing the repair. I have taken it back apart to verify mechanical timing and replaced sensors that could have possibly been damaged during the repair.

I am guilty of throwing parts at it, but it's paid for and it's still cheaper that a new truck. Once I get it all figured out, I'll have basically everything new and no more worries. Hopefully........

I appreciate finally getting some outside input on this issue. The Toyota mechanics that work for my company are too arrogant to take the time to talk with me about fixing this. They want me to bring it to them. Go figure.
Old 05-17-2009, 06:40 AM
Contributing Member

The other poster probably hasn't had the experience of wearing starter contacts.

I, among many others on this board, have had problems just like you mention. For almost a year, I had weird starting issues. I would turn the key, and nothing. Sit there, nothing. Tap the starter with a wrench... nothing... Then come back 5 mins later and it would start up no problem.

Some days it would start very first try...others would take a while.

When you open the starter up, and inspect the copper contacts, there is actually wear shown. The connection of the plunger and the two conacts from the battery cable do not make the physical connection anymore after so many thousands of turn overs.

Now the question is this.... Does your car ever not even engage the starter or not when you turn the key? Maybe I am missing the whole point here.

Once again, starter contacts are only $10 .. they take literally 10 minutes to change out...Once you get the starter out of course...which could take an hour.
Old 05-17-2009, 06:44 AM
Contributing Member

So maybe I am missing the point...

When you turn the key, starter will run strong, turn the engine over and over, but not actually "start".
Old 05-17-2009, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by SC4Runner
So maybe I am missing the point...

When you turn the key, starter will run strong, turn the engine over and over, but not actually "start".
That is correct.

Quick Reply: Hard starting. HELP