Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners
Old 03-30-2016, 10:37 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Toyota Tacoma Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Guide on How to Combine Both Front & Rear Antennas into One on an Aftermarket Stereo

Old 03-12-2010, 09:36 PM
LK1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Thanks again. I'm going with the 2 prong switch on the antenna for ease of install.

I looked at my metra harness and know where the confusion is coming from. On the Toyota harness diagram you linked, J is the orange/white wire and it says "Do Not Use". This coupled with dire warnings about the orange wire put the fear of god in me.

Edit: This link http://www.installdr.com/Harnesses/Toyota-Wiring.pdf

I am going to connect the wires and wait for the explosion.

Last edited by LK1; 03-12-2010 at 09:38 PM.
Old 03-13-2010, 07:06 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sure thing.

lol, I must have missed those dire warnings when I did my install...cause I connected the org/whit wire right off.

I did open everything back up and disconnect the org/wht to see if it helped my Field Monitor display issue, but all it did was cause my HU to stay at full brightness day and night. Def too bright at night, so I reconnected it. HU dims properly now when I turn my lights on.
Old 03-26-2010, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by Rock Slide
the rear glass antenna picks up all the reception I need.
have you tried it w/ the mast ant disconnected?

ill probably go the 'Y' route and just disconect the mast power.
Old 03-27-2010, 06:20 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by surf4runner
have you tried it w/ the mast ant disconnected?

ill probably go the 'Y' route and just disconect the mast power.
I have not. I guess I still want the option to raise it if need be.

Let me know how the reception is when you go the Y route and disconnect the mast power.
Old 03-27-2010, 07:59 PM

hey guys i did this just the other day and i can say that i love it i get way better reception than before since i installed an aftermarket antennaon my car
Old 03-28-2010, 07:10 AM
Contributing Member

Great
Old 03-31-2010, 08:58 AM

Can't find those parts in Canada and Amazon dpoesn't want to ship them to Canada.
Anyone willing to help???
Old 03-31-2010, 09:21 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
you don't have METRA brand parts available in the Great White north? The cost of shipping here and mailing again to get to you would exceed the parts cost, nonetheless stay in touch with me if that is the way you want to go. The tariffs would cost you a bundle then too I think...

You must have car stereo outfitters that can help you out-the one adapter (for the rear diversity antenna) is designed for GM vehicles, and those are built up there I do believe.

good luck...
Old 04-01-2010, 02:50 AM

I'm trying to call car install shops locally.
Car-audio stores doesn't carry those accessories.
So far I found one store which has it, but they ask too much. I can get cheaper with eBay... I'm keep looking, but thank you for keeping me a back-up option.
Old 06-12-2010, 08:00 PM

I did this with a HU that has a VERY good reception spec and the radio quality SUCKS compared to stock. I don't have a switch installed, so both antennas are wired when I turn the tuner on. If only the stock unit had an AUX option....oh and amp outputs.....
Old 06-15-2010, 04:26 PM

You know... if anyone is considering doing this, it would be interesting to measure the impedance of the toyota antennas, both the front and rear while separate, and then together when connected with the Y adapter. An irregular (as in, different than a typical 50 ohm for coax cables, and other audio equipment sometimes use 150 or 600 ohm) impedance could be explaining the poor reception... Just a thought.

I also noticed poor reception after installing my premier HU using just the front mast antenna, compared to the OEM HU.
Old 06-15-2010, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by rideexileex
You know... if anyone is considering doing this, it would be interesting to measure the impedance of the toyota antennas, both the front and rear while separate, and then together when connected with the Y adapter. An irregular (as in, different than a typical 50 ohm for coax cables, and other audio equipment sometimes use 150 or 600 ohm) impedance could be explaining the poor reception... Just a thought.

I also noticed poor reception after installing my premier HU using just the front mast antenna, compared to the OEM HU.
How would you do that? Impedance is not the same as resistance and cannot be measured with a VOM. As far as I know you need something like this:Antenna Analyzer
Old 06-15-2010, 05:21 PM

Just use a DMM... Measuring resistance over the coax lines will give a general idea whether or not the systems are similar. You don't need the reactance part - I'm curious whether or not they are similar, not necessarily match.

Reason being, the OEM HU has two inputs for two antennas. Configuring two in a Y configuration alters the load characteristic seen by the HU
Old 06-15-2010, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by rideexileex
Just use a DMM... Measuring resistance over the coax lines will give a general idea whether or not the systems are similar. You don't need the reactance part - I'm curious whether or not they are similar, not necessarily match.

Reason being, the OEM HU has two inputs for two antennas. Configuring two in a Y configuration alters the load characteristic seen by the HU
I know, I said that early on in this thread, although I would not use the word load for a receive-only antenna. But I also question whether you CAN leave out the reactance part. I know I can build two systems with the same impedance but different low-voltage resistance. I think we agree on what goes on--I just have a difference of opinion on how to prove it. That said, everything in antennas in the real world is subject to trial and error, even TV towers. If this does improve reception for some, it doesn't matter what the theory is.

Personally, my Alpine HU picks up Yankee games in Maryland starting just north of the Susquehanna from WCBS on the Empire State Building in NYC with just the mast. Nothing on FM for me anymore. So I'm fine without this.
Old 09-12-2010, 04:09 PM

Thanx very much for posting this. I'm installing a new deck and was beginning to scratch my head trying to figure out what the smaller plug was for. Ordering the "Y" cable regardless of reception effect just to satisfy my OCD.
Old 11-07-2010, 08:37 PM

Help With Antenna Cable Routing

Hope I'm not off topic here but regardless, maybe someone can shed some light.

I already have the Y-adapter but my problem is I had to change antennas and I can't seem to figure out how to get the antenna cable through the hole on the fender well up anyplace high enough inside the truck so I can even grab it. I have almost the whole dash ripped apart and the glove box completely removed but there is just such a huge mess of stuff back there the the cable just wont route itself up. Heeeeeeeeeeelllllllppppp!!

Oh, and if it matters my truck is a 98 4runner SR5.

Thanx,
Joe
Old 11-07-2010, 08:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Harpo-Rider

feed a wire coat hanger through the opening-attach one end to your antenna lead with electrical tape or similar. Then pull through ever so gently....
Old 11-07-2010, 09:08 PM

Actually tried that. Couldn't get it anywhere I could even see it.
SHoot, if no one comes up with a better idea maybe I'll just try that again.
Thanx
Old 08-06-2012, 05:12 AM

This is a great solution and I've done this to my T4r per this thread. If I may, I'd like to add one thing to it. The small male antenna plug on the diversity antenna didn't fit tightly in the Schoche adapter. What I had to do was squeeze the adapter in the vice at its opening to make it oval. Just tight enough for the male plug to click into place tightly. Otherwise it kept falling out of the adapter.

Thanks again for the write up.
Old 01-06-2013, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by nocalhoo
Sorry it took a while. I used a Radio Shack switch, part number 275-730, a $3 part. I spliced it to the blue power line from the head unit and stuck it under the cig lighter with double sided tape. There is a small hole there already so no drilling.

that seems relatively easy and straight forward for me to try this coming weekend

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Guide on How to Combine Both Front & Rear Antennas into One on an Aftermarket Stereo