Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Group Buy!! -- Detroit lockers

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2003, 08:24 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Group Buy!! -- Detroit lockers

ok I've been wanting to get some lockers on my truck for some time now, and I've done a little research. Last week I narrowed my choices down to two, either the ARB, or the detroit locker.

I know the advantages of the ARB is that you can turn it on and off with a switch on the dash, and that the air compressor you have to install with it, could be used to inflate tires, etc. But the price is a huge limiting factor. Just the rear ARB locker is about $630, and the compressor to go with it is going to be about another $220, plus if there is an install kit (I'm not sure), and if your like me where your "mechanically inclined", but just not "mechanically able", then your going to have the cost of install. So just to get a locker in the rear is going to run you about $1000 installed, and a little over $800 to do it yourself.

On the other hand I can choose the detroit locker for the rear. Its advantages are, its been proven to be a solid locker, and it cost less then half of the price of a ARB. Can you break it? Of course, you can break anything if you push it hard enough, including the ARB. The disadvantage is that its always on, and if you use your truck as a daily driver then your going to feel it kick in on slow turns. It makes noise on turns, but it doesn't damage anything.
You can have a detroit locker in the rear, and if you wanted a true track locker (w/limited slip) in the front installed for less then the price of a rear ARB.

So I thought about this for a week or so,and I decided, that I would get the rear Detroit locker, and then go wheeling and see how it handles, and then if needed I could always add the true track up front, or if I really wanted, the ARB. I would have to be aware of the fact that it will kick in on the street and drag my tires a bit, but that its to be expected. I still get to keep it as a daily driver, I get to increase my off roading potential, and I can do it on the poor student budget that I am on.

If there is something else that I am mising here, please fill me in. If there is anything else I should consider let me know. While cost is a huge factor, its not the only one to consider. I want to make sure whatever I put in lasts, and most importantly works.

ok I went ahead and contacted a company the sells Detroit lockers, here in Illinois. I was able to talk him into a group discount. As you know there are a few different types of detroit lockers available. He said that if we can get any combonation of 10, then we could get the following prices on the lockers.

Detroit locker: $364.82
EZ Detroit locker: $182.32
True Track (w/limited slip -- recommend for the front): $262.47

For more information on detroit lockers, here is their web page:

detroit locker

Let me know if there is something I'm missing here, or if there is more information I need to get. Just to get a tentative date going, if this happens I'd like to do this in the middle or end of august.

Last edited by sdastg1; 08-01-2003 at 08:34 AM.
Old 08-01-2003, 08:35 AM

you're crazy!!!!!!
Old 08-01-2003, 08:39 AM
Contributing Member

˟˟˟˟ you haven't figured that out yet. You gotta hold on to your balls if you wana ride with me!!
Old 08-01-2003, 08:43 AM
Contributing Member

FYI: I got mine for $199 locally...no group discount.

You arent really missing much except for the experience with it. IT IS LOUD on the road. It will wear your tires down much faster. Off-road it is great! But on road, its not exactly fun to drive with. If you can put up with the constant banging noises, rough ride on turns, and mild difficulties parking...Detroit EZ is the way to go.

I would seriously reconsider if you plan on selling your vehicle. People who have been test driving mine have no idea what a locker is and thing something is wrong with it as well as have no interest in buying it because its LOUD.

Nevertheless, I was damn happy 6 months ago when I was off-roading every weekend for a couple months. But now since its been a good 2 months since my last outing...Im starting to rethink the purchase. The clicking gets to ya after a while...
Old 08-01-2003, 08:51 AM
Contributing Member

hey Jp-
I don't plan on selling the truck unless it breaks down, its just going to turn from a daily driver/weekend off roader into a trail rig eventually (5-6 yrs). But I am worried about the sound it makes on the road. From what I was told at the people at detroit locker, as well as the from my mechanic, was that I would only feel it kicking in on slow turns, but that on straight driving I wouldn't notice anything. I might just have to drive up there and see what yours sounds like, before I get mine.

Also do you still have the number of the guy who you bought it from? maybe we can get a better price with him.
Old 08-01-2003, 09:03 AM
Contributing Member

Well you wont hear it on highway roads nor when you are driving in a straight line, but once you start turning...you are gonna hear it. Next time you go for a drive...note how many times you turn your steering wheel.

You'll feel and hear it on slow turns. And its not just one noise per turn...its click click click click click click click click click click click. I dont mean to discourage you from buying it, but I do want you to know what you are getting into. With the low price there is a separate cost.

There was a post not too long ago on 4x4wire and I beleive recnetly here too about the detroit and the noise it makes...

Ill see if I can find his number although I dont think he had a phone...
Old 08-01-2003, 10:57 AM

JP, PM'd you....
Old 08-01-2003, 02:42 PM
Contributing Member

Re: Group Buy!! -- Detroit lockers

One thing to consider. The Detroit is going to be very similar to the ARB as far as installation goes. If you are looking to do the install your self to save money, you should be looking at the EZ.

Originally posted by sdastg1

If there is something else that I am mising here, please fill me in. If there is anything else I should consider let me know. While cost is a huge factor, its not the only one to consider. I want to make sure whatever I put in lasts, and most importantly works.

Detroit locker: $364.82
EZ Detroit locker: $182.32
True Track (w/limited slip -- recommend for the front): $262.47
Old 08-01-2003, 06:40 PM

Another thing to consider is how that locker behaves on icy roads.
Old 08-01-2003, 06:50 PM

How much for the TrueTrack for the rear?

Gadget

www.GadgetOnline.com
Old 08-01-2003, 08:50 PM
Contributing Member

I love my Detroit! I get no clicking when turning, I do get the clunk at times, but I know when it is going to happen. Offroad it is incredible. I have climbed things in 2wd that I couldnt climb in 4wd before.
I paid $405 for the locker, $125 for the master install kit, and my buddy installed it for $100 with my help.
It has been by far the best mod I have done.
Old 08-01-2003, 09:52 PM
Contributing Member

Ok so how does it behave on ice? I'm assuming I'll be slipping all over the place. I'm moving back to Maryland in 2 months, and we get nothing but ice there all winter long. It would suck if I crashed the truck b/c I had lockers on it. Is there something I can do to prevent this?

I didn't know there was a Master install kit. I knew you had to replace some bearings, and to expect to pay about $40. I will call and ask about the price of the kit on Monday.

Gadget ... I talked to Mike at Xtreme off road, and he recommended the true track for the front, I got the same advice from the guys at Detroit locker. I will call on Monday and ask the price for the rear. Can you fill me in on why I (or you) would consider the true track for the rear? thanks

Jp ... any luck finding the number for the guy who doesn't have a phone?
Old 08-01-2003, 11:05 PM

I want a true track for the rear.

I am tired of the inside tire breaking traction and smoking when I am accelerating up on ramps or doing some spirited driving down a country road.

I want the true track because it is NOT a true LSD and will bias the torque without inducing bad manners like inducing a spin out like a true LSD can. It is softer in and out, but will still provide the traction I really need on the street.

For off road use, there is only one choice currently. That is the ARB. That is why I have one in both ends of my other 4Runner. Of course when Detroit comes out with their Elect Track for the Toyotas that will beat EVERYTHING else even the ARB.

So, how much for the True Track for the rear?

Gadget

wwww.GadgetOnline.com
Old 08-04-2003, 03:22 AM

I'm in for a ARB for the front IFS.

Chris
Old 08-04-2003, 08:29 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Marc P
I love my Detroit! I get no clicking when turning, I do get the clunk at times, but I know when it is going to happen. Offroad it is incredible. I have climbed things in 2wd that I couldnt climb in 4wd before.
I paid $405 for the locker, $125 for the master install kit, and my buddy installed it for $100 with my help.
It has been by far the best mod I have done.
Shazad, note that he is talking about the Detroit SOFT locker and not the EZ-Locker. The soft is much quieter as it has some springs inside that keep it from making a whole lot of noise. It also has a bit more to do in the install. I think you replace the carrier? Thus the need for the master install kit?? Someone confirm that...

Sorry Shazad, i havent been able to dig arround for the guy...been doing wedding stuff all weekend. Ill try and find it today though.
Old 08-04-2003, 03:04 PM

In all of these installations you are replacing the carrier assembly. You do not need a master install kit. What you should get is two new carrier bearings from a Toyota dealer. www.Partznet.com has the best prices I have found.

The reason for the two new carrier bearings is that it is very hard to get the old ones off of your current diff without wrecking them. You can take the diff and the new bearings to a machine shop or any mechanic shop with a press and hve them pressed on the new diff, then you can do the rest of the install yourself. The only other special tool you will need is a dial indicator for setting the backlash of the ring gear. This is pretty simple especially compared to the front. The front is a real pain. If you are going to regear then you will need a master kit that has all the stuff needed for the pinion gear reinstall.

There is something you should be aware of. Most shops that do diffs and know what they are doing do not want to install stuff you bring them. They will want to sell you what they put in. I had this very problem when I had my rear ARB installed. I had a great deal from group buy mike, but I could not find a single shop that would do the install for me. I ended up paying more to buy it from a local shop. I just did not have the time to do it myself at that time with a wheeling trip that weekend, so I had to poney up and pay the man.

Just keep that in mind when you mail order a diff. If you are not going to do the install, then make sure you have a friend or shop that will install someone elses diff.

So, how much for a TrueTrack for the rear on my 4Runner??? If it is a good price I am ready to order right now.

Gadget

www.GadgetOnline.com
Old 08-04-2003, 03:20 PM

Originally posted by Gadget
Just keep that in mind when you mail order a diff. If you are not going to do the install, then make sure you have a friend or shop that will install someone elses diff.
Hey Shahzad I bet Tom will do it for you.