Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

GPS Mapping Software - Anyone use it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2003, 06:24 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GPS Mapping Software - Anyone use it?

I got a Garmin etrex Vista for Christmas and would like to use some mapping software on my PC with the GPS. I found DeLorme Topo USA, has anyone used this or another mapping software?
Old 12-31-2003, 06:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I use the DeLorme software, it's QUITE extensive, but the UI takes a bit of getting used to.

I got lucky and scored the full 7 CD set off of eBay for $50.

This is a "quick example" of what the DeLorme can show you (click for a larger pic):

From that view, you can control shadows, depth, viewing angle, zoom, etc. It's very cool. It was "easy" to generate that image from simply downloading a track off of my Magellan Gold straight into the app.
Old 12-31-2003, 07:10 PM
Contributing Member

i plan on getting ahold of the delorme topographic software soon, everyone ive heard that has it loves it. thier street map software is pretty good too.
Old 12-31-2003, 07:22 PM
Contributing Member

midiwall,
How does the DeLorme software access your GPS? I don't mean the cable, but does it automatically recognize the particular make GPS unit attached to the PC, in my case a Garmin etrex, and then proceed with downloading the GPS track? Thanks.
Old 12-31-2003, 07:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hi Ian;

There's a standard serial protocol and data defintion ("NMEA") for transfering common information like waypoints and tracks. So you run a cable from your eTrex to a serial port, then tell DeLorme what serial port to use, and it will auto-detect the baud rate by "pinging" the device at various rates until it responds.

Once the app gets a response, it uses a standard set of queries to get various data out of the device. The DeLorme software can/will ID your device based on the response it gets from the pinging process, but it's not really necessary for it to do it's job.

There's some more info up on DeLorme's site:

http://www.delorme.com/topousa/default.asp

Know that not all of the data in your GPS will come out this way... Garmin (and Magellan) both have propietary data formats to handle things like detail maps and such. That's when you get "stuck" buying vendor specific software to add detailed maps to your box. For example, I have to use Magellan's MapSend to get detailed street maps down _to_ the box.

Mark
Old 01-01-2004, 07:12 AM

You could always use Garmin's Topo software as it is made for Garmin's hardware. It offers pretty good topograhic data. However, if you are looking for detailed road info, you might be better served with their Metroguide products. Let me know if you want a screen capture to get a feel for the level of detail provided by the topos.

I bought the topo software on Amazon for around $70-80.

I am waiting for the new hand held Garmin w/ the color screen to be released.
Old 01-01-2004, 07:28 AM

Originally posted by Hermes
I am waiting for the new hand held Garmin w/ the color screen to be released.
The new Garmin GPSMAP 60C is out now. I've seen it already listed at Bass Pro Shop for $450. Want to check it out as this is something that I've been looking for. I want a GPS unit that will do on street navigation and ability to map on-river sites for flyfishing. Hopefully, this unit can handle both.

Andrew
Old 01-01-2004, 03:13 PM

Andrew,
I know places are listing it right now, but it isn't actually out yet. At least that is Garmin's official statement. I have seen places online taking orders but won't charge you until it ships, maybe that is what you saw. I actually want the GPSMAP 60CS.

Last edited by Hermes; 01-01-2004 at 03:15 PM.
Old 01-01-2004, 05:31 PM

The 60CS isn't even out yet. Talked with Garmin the other day and the tech said that model hasn't even left the factory yet. He said the company was projecting the 3rd-4th week of Jan. I too am interested in the 60CS model.

Andrew
Old 01-01-2004, 05:48 PM

I use oziexplorer with my gps. It works well with garmin stuff and is used by search and rescue here in my area. I think there is a free trial version at their site. Your garmin will work with it.
Im not too sure about street maps though. I use my gps for hunting only so ozi works well for projecting waypoints on a map etc.

Last edited by zedex; 01-01-2004 at 05:54 PM.
Old 01-01-2004, 06:27 PM

FYI

Originally posted by WatsonMD
The 60CS isn't even out yet. Talked with Garmin the other day and the tech said that model hasn't even left the factory yet. He said the company was projecting the 3rd-4th week of Jan. I too am interested in the 60CS model.

Andrew
TigerGPS states on their site the lollowing:
"Orders Begin Shipping Early March: Pre-Order Now! (Tiger GPS does not charge your credit card until we ship your order)."

They are placing orders at $420.

-Stu.
Old 01-01-2004, 06:38 PM

Re: GPS Mapping Software - Anyone use it?

Originally posted by Roadrunner
I got a Garmin etrex Vista for Christmas and would like to use some mapping software on my PC with the GPS. I found DeLorme Topo USA, has anyone used this or another mapping software?
With both Garmin and Magellan the only "maps" you can import are their own proprietary ones. For Garmin it's "Mapsource" and Magellan it's "Mapsend". Their proprietary software is the only way to get "real" maps into the GPSr. The other software can only send waypoints into the GPSr. Right now there is a new software in beta testing that allows you to create your own maps. You use OzziExplorer to create a map area. Then you open the map in the other software and create your map by "drawing" over the map. The software uses what you created to make a map that is readable by the Garmin units(Garmin only!).

This is the site for building your own maps http://gps.chrisb.org/gps_mapper.htm

If you want more info, goto the Groundspeak Forums and do some research. http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?
Old 01-02-2004, 07:57 AM

Originally posted by WatsonMD
He said the company was projecting the 3rd-4th week of Jan.

Andrew
Andrew,
That is far more specific than the information I recieved from Garmin via email. They said they knew it would be first quarter, but nothing more concrete than that.

I signed up for an email notification from GPSnow.com when they get it in stock. There prices are competitive. You might want to do the same. Here is the link:

http://www.gpsnow.com/gmmap60cs.htm