Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Got pics of your CV boots AFTER lift? How should they look?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2003, 06:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Now with pics- CV boots, How should they look?

I just installed my SAWs and diff drop last week and wanted to know how the CV boots should look.
Basically, after putting on my Downeys/OME HD shocks the rear is an inch or two higher than the front. I wanted to know if I could crank up the front some more and not cause any harm.
Right now only 2 CV fins are touching on the outside edge towards the rim. Thats with the diff drop. I know the downeys might settle, but I liked the "prerunner" look before I put on the rear coils/shocks so cranking the front up would help that too.
So, if you have pics of your CV boots maybe I could compare them to mine and determine if it's possible to crank more. Also how long have you been running them problem free, looking how they do.
Thanks

Last edited by RobT2k; 11-30-2003 at 03:44 PM.
Old 11-25-2003, 06:18 PM

j/k That was a looong time ago. I can't find the pics I took of my cv's a few weeks ago
Old 11-25-2003, 07:33 PM
Contributing Member

Rob, pix man c'mon pix!!!! shoot.... sweet deal, looks like the next time i see ya it'll be abit higher huh! hehe

Btw, as long as the fins are touching you should be fine
Old 11-25-2003, 07:39 PM
Contributing Member

Lift, skidplate, BFG's---I am beginning to feel like I need to spend some money too.

Lets try your new setup on Carveacre soon.

Too bad the manual hub conversion is so expensive for your truck. With them on cv angle is not such a problem.
Old 11-25-2003, 09:06 PM

Originally posted by Good Times
Btw, as long as the fins are touching you should be fine
ARE touching? I thought that was bad?
Marc- I've been "testing" out on carvacre and a new place a buddy showed me in blossom valley(talk about close to home!!)
First we did Hanglider(the place in blossom valley) with stock susp. then we ran it again with just the SAWs up front. Then we did carvacre with just the SAWs, then today we did carvacre with the rear coils/shocks(much better!) I was bottoming out the rear with SAWs up front and stock in back.
Carvacre has changed since we last ran it, I guess all the rain we got earlier this month really washed out a lot of the ruts the old "hard" ones are now bigger trenches! Stuff that was hard before is much harder, and stuff that was nothing before is now definitely something! I noticed a lot of basketball sized rocks and bigger in some of the ruts that weren't there before, so different lines are a must now.
Ever since I've been on strike, all I've been doing is wheelin' & snowboarding, with a little picketing on the side
Marc-PM me your cell, I'll let you know when we're going next, and I wanted to ask you about getting my transmission flushed(if you guys do that?) and changing my diff fluids.
Oh yeah, anyone else have any real cv boot pics?
Old 11-25-2003, 09:10 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by RobT2k
ARE touching? I thought that was bad?
Marc- I've been "testing" out on carvacre and a new place a buddy showed me in blossom valley(talk about close to home!!)
First we did Hanglider(the place in blossom valley) with stock susp. then we ran it again with just the SAWs up front. Then we did carvacre with just the SAWs, then today we did carvacre with the rear coils/shocks(much better!) I was bottoming out the rear with SAWs up front and stock in back.
Carvacre has changed since we last ran it, I guess all the rain we got earlier this month really washed out a lot of the ruts the old "hard" ones are now bigger trenches! Stuff that was hard before is much harder, and stuff that was nothing before is now definitely something! I noticed a lot of basketball sized rocks and bigger in some of the ruts that weren't there before, so different lines are a must now.
Ever since I've been on strike, all I've been doing is wheelin' & snowboarding, with a little picketing on the side
Marc-PM me your cell, I'll let you know when we're going next, and I wanted to ask you about getting my transmission flushed(if you guys do that?) and changing my diff fluids.
Oh yeah, anyone else have any real cv boot pics?
Mah bad.... i mean not touching... lol
Old 11-27-2003, 09:54 AM

Nobody has any pics or advice?
How many fins can touch and still be alright?
I only have 1 3/4" of threads showing on the bottom of the shocks, how much more can I go up?
Old 11-27-2003, 11:06 AM

I think it really just depends, if you have grease coming out of the boot then that's bad. But if there's no grease, then you should be fine. Right now I have 2 fins touching, been like that for the past month and a half. No problems here.

If it looks like they're pressed up against each other really bad, then I would worry about it, if not then it's ok.

Why don't you snap a pic of it?
Old 11-28-2003, 05:54 PM

Originally posted by Toyo_Runner96
Why don't you snap a pic of it?
Finally got one taken, the truck is sitting not quite level in the pics. I'm parked on the street with the passenger side in the gutter, so it's leaning slightly that way(if that matters). I did notice a little grease around the inner boot on the axle, but I don't know how long it's been there. I wiped it off and will look for it later.

Drivers side pic
and Passengers side
Old 11-30-2003, 03:46 PM

BTT
Check out the pics, let me know what you think