Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Got me a new truck!

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 07:32 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got me a new truck!

OK, so I finally sold my '91 Runner and bought an '04 Tacoma Dbl Cab 4X4 TRD. Best decision of my life (after getting married and having a kid, and going to school and buying a house and all that crap). Love the new truck! Gas mileage is much better than the Runner's and the acceleration is much better. Got room for the baby seat in the back and has a bed. Couldn't be happier.

Now for a few questions: The auto transmission shifter moves forward and backward about a half inch when I accelerate hard then let off the gas. Is this normal? Also, the transfer case shifter will move, but less and in the opposite direction. The transfer case shifter will also vibrate a noticeable amount. Its kind of annoying if your knee is resting against it.

The other thing I had a question about is braking. When I perform a rather hard braking, after I come to a complete stop the truck will kind of slouch back a little, and it feels like something is loose. Its not like a normal car does. Almost like the rotors are loose from the truck. Its really hard to explain. Anyone experienced something like this before?

Anyways, glad to be a new Tacoma owner, and if anyone could chime in on the above questions I would appreciate it.

Thanks!

Last edited by WillRadford; 05-18-2009 at 07:54 PM.
Old 05-19-2009, 05:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As far as the breaking issue i have no idea.

As for the shifter and 4wd selector both of mine move while driving. I have a 5spd now but my last tacoma was an auto and it moved too. I dont think it is anything to worry about.
Old 05-19-2009, 06:03 AM

Sorry, I can't be much help on your question but congrats on the new truck. If I ever get back up that way we need to go wheeling again.

A photo in memory of your old 4runner.
Old 05-19-2009, 06:22 AM

The moving of your shifters is normal, my 03 Taco does that all the time and has always done it, so i dont think its something to worry about.

As far as the braking, does it make a sound, like a clunking or thud sound also or just the feeling? I think the mass of the truck moving forward and then being slowed quickly cause it to compress the front suspension. When the truck finally comes to a complete stop the suspension can right/correct itself again, causing the mass to move quickly back to the rear suspension. Make sense?
Old 05-19-2009, 08:29 AM

My truck has all the same quirks. I tend to agree with the others that the tranny movement is ok (all the tacos I test drove before this one did it too).

I have heard some on here (I think there was a recent thread) describe that shift as axle wrap. Mine almost acts like you're putting it back in gear. Since the previous owner of mine installed 1" lift blocks on it, I would like to believe thats all it is, but won't know for sure till I get the extended shackles and remove the blocks. It is enough, that when ever I make a fairly quick stop, I now will let the truck ease forward slowly (till I feel the shift) before I get back on the gas.

Oh, and congrats, hope you love it as much as i love mine, it seems to be the perfect truck for me

Last edited by ericdg16; 05-19-2009 at 08:31 AM.
Old 05-19-2009, 08:43 AM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
My trans moves a lil also, when I get on it while its in gear (5speed)..
Might me the tranny mount bushings worn out..?
Thats just a guess..

Oh and about the new truck, Pics or it didnt happen