Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Got Hit Headon by a Semi Truck this Morning

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 01:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got Hit Headon by a Semi Truck this Morning

I was sitting at the stop sign waiting for the truck to pass when he turned into my front end. His first words to me were "I'm sorry, I thought you were gonna pull out". well his boss showed up before the police and then his story changed to me pulling out in front of him. The police sided with him and cited me for the accident saying I pulled out in front of him.

This is where I need your help to find something out. Is there any feature on the ECU of a 2003 Tacoma that saves data when an airbag is deployed? If i can get that data I can prove that I was sitting at the stop sign. I called a dealership and they said they would have to call me back, of course they never did.

So can anyone give me any info on this? It would be greatly appreciated

heres some pics of the aftermath, my poor truck only had 113k miles on it

Name:  20131203_071256_zps8cf90e1d.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  55.0 KB

Name:  20131203_073451_zps94723189.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  63.8 KB

Name:  20131203_073500_zpsa3ca6b80.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  53.1 KB

Name:  20131203_073509_zps24d90bcf.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  70.6 KB

Name:  20131203_073629_zpsdf03f88d.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  61.7 KB
Old 12-03-2013, 01:51 PM

Not that I know of tacos didn't support edr's till 05
Old 12-03-2013, 01:57 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Sorry man....she's a goner.

What did the police report say? Did they fault him or you?
Old 12-03-2013, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by HighLux
Sorry man....she's a goner.

What did the police report say? Did they fault him or you?
Me. Which resulted in me arguing with the officer until he got pissed off at me. Gonna have to go pled not guilty in court
Old 12-03-2013, 03:35 PM

Well remember....the cop wasnt there. Its his word vs yours in court.

Big trucks always lose.
Old 12-03-2013, 03:42 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Get your insurance company involved if you can.
Old 12-03-2013, 03:59 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yes, get an attorney if necessary. Plead your case, don't give up! Too bad about the Tacoma. She was just a pup.
Old 12-03-2013, 04:04 PM

Am I terrible? I thought...oh noes....hes ok...ok good....... hmmmm maybe 4wd conversion parts for my taco. Then I saw Ohio. Not too far.

What have I become. Im a Toyota vulture!!!!

Old 12-03-2013, 04:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No witnesses?
Old 12-03-2013, 04:18 PM

Pictures aren't really clear, did he drift into the wrong lane or what?
Old 12-03-2013, 05:38 PM

Received 215 Likes on 157 Posts
I have been thinking of a dash cam lately, stuff like this makes me think more.

Glad your ok let us know what happens.....
Old 12-03-2013, 06:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Was a dash cam thread recently and yes have been thinking of it too.

Are they easy to change vehicles with? I have 3 daily drivers. Lol

I was minorly sideswiped by a rig in my fastback years and years ago. No cop report (in Cali their is no report unless injuries occur) and the insurance found it 50/50 split.

Last edited by SoCal4Running; 12-03-2013 at 06:11 PM.
Old 12-03-2013, 06:17 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
You might want to ask your insurance company to contact trucking company to check for GPS or constant data updating as many trucking companies use these to monitor there drivers whereabouts and movements. Good luck
Old 12-03-2013, 06:56 PM

That trucking company wont give up nothing without a writ of discovery or a subpeona (sp)

Even your own insurance company kinda screws you if they think you might be at fault. They will "give it up" to make a quick settlement if they fear a risk.

I have a class a cdl. I didnt drive proffesionally for long at all (cause it sucks)
but....they always told us to never say anything when a wreck happens and that it is always our fault. Most drivers will get fired from a driving job for big trucks...even if it was not there fault....just for being in an accident.

That guy is tripping for his job...believe me.

So honestly...no one is on your side at all actually. If it really was the trucks fault...and the way you described it...it sounds like it...

Call a lawyer asap. They wiil either accept your case on a contigency...thye only get paid after you collect...or he will tell you you dont have a case you are screwed.

I got screwed over real bad by a good freind and his family when I was about 21. Me and freind went out partying one night in his Capri 5.0 He was driving on way home and I was passed out in pass seat. He fell asleep and we went down a hill into a huge tree. I split my head open on the windshield...with seatblet on. Car was wasted. I had a softball on my forhead. No cell phones in them days so we walked the couple miles we had left back to his house. Gushing blood. In the rain at like 3am.

We got to his house and his parents didnt call the cops...make a report...nothing. My freind picked me up and I got stiches. His parents didnt want to claim anything for fear of him getting dwi which would have sent him to jail. couple years. So I lost a freind. Insurance company would do jack with no report from cops...and at 21 I had a $900 hospital bill.

Lawyer up for yourself. your insurance company will lay down for the driver of the truck based on police report.
Old 12-03-2013, 11:49 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

From the damage I sure can`t figure out what happened!!

Looks to me from the pictures that you pulled out and hit the truck just from the way things ended up.

coming into this i might have thought just that.

Having been involved in more then a few accidents over the years

So much information to be gained being on site that pictures can never tell.

Over the years I have done some stupid things and opened my mouth to a law enforcement officers it never really pays .
Old 12-04-2013, 01:04 AM

heres a diagram i made to help explain

basically it was super foggy, i've had my license 14 years and that morning hands down was the foggiest morning i have ever seen. I was at the stop sign and seen head lights, so i was waiting for them to go by. then i noticed they were coming my way, then bam. From my point of view it looked like him seen the road come up sooner than he thought and tried to make the turn. he claimed he thought i was going to pull out so he swerved. All I know is I was sitting at the stop sign waiting for him to go by

Name:  crashdiagram_zpsbd1f8032.png
Views: 59
Size:  211.8 KB
Old 12-04-2013, 01:05 AM

you can see in this picture how he got my passenger side, he cut around and back into me

Name:  20131203_082824_zpsd0440f7c.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  57.9 KB
Old 12-04-2013, 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by HighLux
That trucking company wont give up nothing without a writ of discovery or a subpeona (sp)

Even your own insurance company kinda screws you if they think you might be at fault. They will "give it up" to make a quick settlement if they fear a risk.

I have a class a cdl. I didnt drive proffesionally for long at all (cause it sucks)
but....they always told us to never say anything when a wreck happens and that it is always our fault. Most drivers will get fired from a driving job for big trucks...even if it was not there fault....just for being in an accident.

That guy is tripping for his job...believe me.

So honestly...no one is on your side at all actually. If it really was the trucks fault...and the way you described it...it sounds like it...

Call a lawyer asap. They wiil either accept your case on a contigency...thye only get paid after you collect...or he will tell you you dont have a case you are screwed.

I got screwed over real bad by a good freind and his family when I was about 21. Me and freind went out partying one night in his Capri 5.0 He was driving on way home and I was passed out in pass seat. He fell asleep and we went down a hill into a huge tree. I split my head open on the windshield...with seatblet on. Car was wasted. I had a softball on my forhead. No cell phones in them days so we walked the couple miles we had left back to his house. Gushing blood. In the rain at like 3am.

We got to his house and his parents didnt call the cops...make a report...nothing. My freind picked me up and I got stiches. His parents didnt want to claim anything for fear of him getting dwi which would have sent him to jail. couple years. So I lost a freind. Insurance company would do jack with no report from cops...and at 21 I had a $900 hospital bill.

Lawyer up for yourself. your insurance company will lay down for the driver of the truck based on police report.

I'm getting one if insurance doesnt supply one. my boss was coming to work right behind me, he didnt see the wreck happen, but he was there before i was off the phone with the police. The truck driver told him "I thought he was gonna pull out). then the police chief was on his way to work when he happened to be first on scene. He was out of jurisdiction, so when the state trooper got there he left. I called him and asked if the truck driver told him what happened. He told me the truck driver told him "I thought he was going to pull out, so I swerved". So I got 2 witnesses (one of them a police chief) of the truck driver admitting fault. Hopefully that is enough.

I also want to add one piece of info I left out, the guy who owns the rig that hit me is my fiance's uncle. Which pisses me off even more, since he told his driver to lie about it to cover his own ass.

more than anything I just want things to be set straight, I did noting wrong, i dont want to be blamed for something i didnt do.
Old 12-04-2013, 01:16 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/car-dr...es/airbag1.htm
thought airbags were not impact sensors but measure deceleration, so they deploy when you slow down extremely fast
You would have to be in motion for them to deploy...I could be misunderstanding how they work..

One thing to ask is why was he driving on the wrong side of the road?

Last edited by dropzone; 12-04-2013 at 01:19 AM.
Old 12-04-2013, 03:22 AM
Contributing Member

Things like this is why a Dash cam should be a must IMO. Kinda like how every car in Russia has them.

Takes all possible question out of the equation.

Quick Reply: Got Hit Headon by a Semi Truck this Morning