Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Got a few mods done this weekend

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2003, 12:21 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got a few mods done this weekend

I finally got around to installing my XM radio receiver in the 4Runner. While I had the dash apart, I also added an extra 12v power outlet to the passenger side of the console.

My regular radio is a Pioneer FH-P4400 CD/Tape combo with IP bus input. The IP bus can be used to connect a Pioneer CD changer (the in-dash unit then controls the changer) or an aux input device. With a PIE adaptor, I can connect any line level input to that IP bus port. I used it to connect my Delphi Skyfi XM receiver to the IP bus port. Skyfi units use a cig lighter plug for power, yuck. I put an extra 12v power port INSIDE the dash so there would be no ugly plugs. I also used a ProFit vehicle specific mount to mount the cradle. The mount included with the Delphi "Car Kit" is weak and ugly. Please ignore the fingerprints all over the Delphi's screen .

BTW, XM is great. With the Delphi unit, I can move it from car to car or indoors, or even portable with the "boombox" product. It's definately worth the $10/month, especially if you like to listen to programming other than top 40 music (talk, comedy, truly alternative music, etc is available).

Here's the install:

Here's the extra 12v power port:

edit to add: Pioneer also makes an XM add-on receiver equipped with an IP bus port to connect directly to and be controled by radios like mine. It appears to be a nice product, but it is not "portable". Since I didn't want multiple XM accounts and wanted XM in both cars and the house, I went with the Delphi unit.

Chris

Last edited by mtnbkr; 08-24-2003 at 12:58 PM.
Old 08-24-2003, 12:40 PM
Contributing Member

Wow dude that is sweeet. Do you have a write up for that extra outlet that is awsome?
Old 08-24-2003, 12:42 PM

Wow that looks sweet man. Very clean install.

I'm surprised how small that CB is underneath there.

Was the 12v mod pretty easy? You use Bob or Dan's write-up in the tech section?
Old 08-24-2003, 12:53 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Stump1883
Wow dude that is sweeet. Do you have a write up for that extra outlet that is awsome?
Thanks. I don't have a writeup, but there are some in the tech section. It's pretty simple. I got a 12v outlet from Radio Shack and connected the pos and neg wires to an existing pos and neg wire. I connected it to an always on circuit so I can use it without having the key in the ignition. The hardest part was cutting the hole since I didn't have the right sized bit. Instead, I drilled a pilot hole and used my dremel tool to "hog" it out, checking it with the outlet as I went along. When it got just big enough to push the outlet in, I stopped.

Chris
Old 08-24-2003, 12:55 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Toyo_Runner96
Wow that looks sweet man. Very clean install.
I'm surprised how small that CB is underneath there.
Was the 12v mod pretty easy? You use Bob or Dan's write-up in the tech section?
Thanks. That radio is no longer in production AFAIK, but Uniden and others make radios of the exact same size (actually, I think Uniden or Midland made the radio for Radio Shack). I read their write-ups some time ago, but I did the install based on memory and what "looked" right to me. If you have the center console apart for any other reason, there's no reason not to add an outlet. It took me about 20 minutes extra.

Chris
Old 08-24-2003, 01:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Got a few mods done this weekend

Originally posted by mtnbkr
Skyfi units use a cig lighter plug for power, yuck.
I installed the Delphi unit in my truck a few days ago, I love it.

I know you have the power issue dealt with, but as a tidbit of info for others, the lighter adapter is actually a DC->DC converter, it takes 12v in and puts 6v out. So youo HAVE to use it, you can't just cut it off and wire the Delphi straight into your power source.

But, I popped mine open and it _can_ be hardwired into a 12v system.

If you pop open the adapter (unscrew the nose piece, the gently pry open the case) you'll find a fuse inside and the step-down/regulation circuitry. Pull the spring-loaded nose piece and solder up a length of two-conductor 18 gauge wire ("lamp cord") to where the fuse connects and the side contacts, then snap the case back together.

Then you can wire up the adapter just like anything else in your system.

The lighter socket behind the dash in an interesting idea as well.

Congrats man! Nice install!
Old 08-25-2003, 05:40 AM
Contributing Member

Re: Re: Got a few mods done this weekend

Originally posted by mpulver
I know you have the power issue dealt with, but as a tidbit of info for others, the lighter adapter is actually a DC->DC converter, it takes 12v in and puts 6v out. So youo HAVE to use it, you can't just cut it off and wire the Delphi straight into your power source.
But, I popped mine open and it _can_ be hardwired into a 12v system.
I thought about doing it that way, but decided on the outlet behind the dash method after reading it on xmfan.com. It just seemed easier and less likely to go wrong to me. Frankly, I wish Delphi had made a "wire in" option for their car kits. It's bad enough that you have to have a separate kit for each car, but they even make it tough to get a nice install.

BTW, one thing I forgot to mention is the antenna installation. I positioned the antenna at the front of the truck right at the edge of the windshield. It's a mag mount and low profile (about .5" tall and 2" long). I threaded the wire (16gauge, maybe smaller) into the small "channel" between the window gasket and body. This is an open gap about 1/8" wide and equally deep. It goes all the way around the window. I followed that till I got to the bottom corner of the windshield, where I then threaded it into the engine compartment. From there, it went into the passenger compartment though the same hole my CB antenna coax is threaded through. After driving to work this morning (speeds of 35-70mph), the cable hasn't moved at all.

Chris
Old 08-25-2003, 01:28 PM

:bigok: looks sweet.... I took out the ashtray and mounted my CB in the same location. I did have to cut some plastic so it would mount flush. And also had to use a 90 deg ant. addapter. Did you as well??Or did you find one that is shallow enough to fit as is??
Old 08-25-2003, 02:50 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by idahorunner
[BI did have to cut some plastic so it would mount flush. And also had to use a 90 deg ant. addapter. Did you as well??Or did you find one that is shallow enough to fit as is?? [/B]
Nope, had to do it the same way. oh well, I don't smoke, so it was worth it.

Chris
Old 08-25-2003, 09:33 PM
Contributing Member

two thumbs up for XM radio

ive had it for 7 or 8 months now... and i love every minute of it
Old 08-25-2003, 09:48 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Mtn,

Looks like you did some quality work there! I have the same ideas to mount a small monitor on my Pro-fit mount too as part of a carputer system.

You use Bob or Dan's write-up in the tech section?
Looks like Bob's write-up.

Bob
Old 08-27-2003, 07:13 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Bob_98SR5
Mtn,

Looks like you did some quality work there! I have the same ideas to mount a small monitor on my Pro-fit mount too as part of a carputer system.

Looks like Bob's write-up.

Bob
Thanks. I normally don't achieve results that clean, but this is going to be a long term vehicle for us and I wanted it "right".

I read your write-up today. You know, I think I read it some time ago and filed the info away in my brain without realizing it. When I opened that page today, it was like looking at my own truck.

Chris