Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Got a 2000 limited 4runner on 3/21 w/o any service history...what do i need done?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 09:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got a 2000 limited 4runner on 3/21 w/o any service history...what do i need done?

As some of you may know from my posts on another thread I bought a nice clean '00 4runner limited but unfortunately I have no maintl. hist. of any kind with it. I know it had the oil changed in January but thats about it. So...

I will make an apt. at the dealer to get the timing belt/water pump, etc. changed out soon (it has 99k on it).

But, first, tomorrow I'm taking it to my mechanic to get it checked out and tuned up. My question is, what do i need done (assuming after he looks at it, it needs done)?

Here is what I'm thinking:
-All filters
-All fluids (flush radiator, brakes, ps... assuming the fluids look like the need to be changed). Ya, it be nice to just get it done for a piece of mind, but it costs money and what if it was done recently, just no record.
-Plugs/wires
-Service tranny (its an AT)
-Check brakes

Am I missing anything?

Thanks, Peter
Old 03-25-2008, 06:45 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
that list looks pretty good to me. I was in the exact same boat last year. Bought a 2000 with no idea what had actually been done to it other than they took care of it (could tell just by looking at it).

So i am very lucky to have a good mechanic i trust look it over and in the end i pretty much did what you are having done differnce is the only thing i paid someone to do was the timing belt.

I did the rest myself, which was not hard, took 2 weekends (first time working on it and i took my time and also wanted to get a feel for everything).

But yes i would do all of the above, only think about doing most of that yourself if $$$ is an issue.
Old 03-25-2008, 08:38 AM

Thanks, anyone else wanna chime in?
I would do it all myself but I'm sick of working on cars and doing the same thing I just did. I got my 85 last march (look at my join in date) and did all of that, plus a bunch of other stuff i was constantly doing like replacing just about every little thing in it. Just sick of working on cars for now.
Old 03-25-2008, 10:20 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Congratulations on the new ride.

How did my old wheels work out on your 85 4runner?

Your list looks pretty complete, you may want to add the following:
- grease the driveline
- adjust your emergency brake cable (if necessary)
- rotate/balance the tires
- post a picture
Old 03-25-2008, 10:21 AM

replace tranny filter, check back drums for leaks, lube drivetrain zerks, you will know if the sparkplugs haven't been changed if one side is denso and the other ngk
Old 03-25-2008, 10:32 AM

Location: Shelburne, VT previous: Everett, WA; Bellingham, WA
I don't know if you had the differential and transaxle fluids in mind by all the fluids. I was disgusted with what I found after 110k.
I, too, haven't touched my plugs/wires, and I'm at 125k now- still running perfect (as far as I know), and when I change them, it can only get better, right? Good luck and congrats on the purchase.
Old 03-25-2008, 11:18 AM
Contributing Member

all the above are also good ideas, i did all that as well. I did so much i can't even remember what all i did, lol.

But you are better off doing more than less. Most of those things are just a few bucks and a little time so there is no reason not to do them.

And do the plugs a wires, when i did mine along with everything else I could tell a differnce.
Old 03-25-2008, 12:04 PM

skjos, those wheels worked out awesome....after i got spackers ($200!), painted them black and I had to hog out two of them b/c they would not fit over the manual hubs! None of the above any of your fault as far as fitment, I did the research and thought they'd fit. I did get them on though and they looked aswesome! I'm sure they would have only looked better if I put bigger tires on them like I was going to but then I'm gald I didn't since I sold it! I'll post pics of both my rides when I have time to download them from my camera.

Yes, I did mean all fluids as in the diffs, and thanks for reminding me about greasing everything!

I took all the crap off of it today like running boards, oem roof rack, rear wind, front bug deflector, all the badges, cut rear mud flaps, etc..... it cleaned up quite a bit, again, will post pics when i'm not lazy!

ps, all the take offs are for sale and will end up on the seattle craig's list soon.