Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

A good weekend...then a BAD Sunday

Old 05-02-2004, 08:15 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A good weekend...then a BAD Sunday

Well...it started off sooooo good. I got new tires on both the 4Runner and the pickup. I got the Bridgestone Revos on the 4Runner. EXCELLENT recommendations guys! Sweet tires. It rained almost 4 inches on Friday night and we got to try out the tires. They stick like glue and the ride is awesome.

I put BF Goodrich All Terrains KO on my pickup and I love them. They ride just great and I anticipate some very good life out of them.

Now for the bad side. Decided to clean my Air intake system. Took it apart to spray it down with some solvent made for it. Got it nice and clean. I then did the big no no. I pushed too hard on the air meter gate and sprung something iinside the top circuits. Ok, so I cut the silicone as noted in the AFM mod page and it took me a few minutes to figure out what had happened. It had caught on the fuel pump activation arm and bent it. I straightened it out and everything seemed fine...but then I got on the road and now the engine is running horrible. I cannot get it to run right, the check engine light came on and the factory header is bright red from running too lean. I have tried pretty much everything to get it to run richer and give me some power in the upper power band. But it sputters and does not want to go over like 4500 rpm while in gear.

Looks like a trip to the dealer in the morning. Hopefully I can get there without damaging the engine and having a tow truck come pull me in.

What a rotten end to the day.
Old 05-02-2004, 08:20 PM

Sorry for the bad luck. I've been there x100. You should try a little harder to fix it yourself. I blew my engine a few months ago and replaced it myself. I had never done anything more than replacing spark plugs before.

By the way, I'm in Fort Worth too. We should get together and go wheelen or something. Good luck man.

Also, give lexutech a call. When I was putting my engine in, I would call them and they always helped me out. They never saw a penny of mine either.
Old 05-02-2004, 08:39 PM
Contributing Member

I had a Toyota mechanic mess with my air flow meter once. He cut the silicone and screwed with the spring inside and it ran like CRAP! It wouldn't idle with my foot off the gass and it took like 30 seconds to get up to 60. Nothin you can do once it's screwed up but replace it. The dealer wanted $550 which was out of the question so I got one from a local part surplus retailer (aka junk yard) for $150. Been perfect ever since.

Last edited by bike4miles; 05-03-2004 at 12:02 PM.
Old 05-02-2004, 09:04 PM
Contributing Member

I'd check the junkyards. In the mean time, do not drive it. Running that lean could very easily cause harm to your motor.

Good Luck

Old 05-03-2004, 06:35 AM
Contributing Member

I had it towed into a shop that we use at work for our fleet vehicles. They do very good work and told me they would fix it or replaced it with a good used part.

Then I get to work an we have like 40 computers down...long day ahead as we patch them.
Old 05-03-2004, 07:10 AM

I have an extra MAF sensor if you're in need - email me if you want it.
-Steve
Old 05-03-2004, 07:52 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ruizs
I have an extra MAF sensor if you're in need - email me if you want it.
-Steve
Dang...if you were closer I would take you up on it. But they just called me...they are replacing it right now. They said they would find a good used one. Hopefully under $200.
Old 05-03-2004, 10:50 AM
Contributing Member

Welp...things turned out pretty good. Got a pretty good mechanic down here on the south side of town. They already got my truck fixed.

Total bill including the MAF and towing was $274. I consider that a bargain after I called the dealership and found out they wanted $655 for the MAF plus they would have to order it! They found a used one for $120. I just picked it up a lunch and it drove great! I am happy that my mistake did not cost me more.

Designs...give me a holler sometime. I work at Alcon on the south side of town. I don't 4wheel much because there are not alot of places around here. I usually do it down near my parents house on Lake Whitney.

Thanks for listen to me whine today.