Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

giving up on my '85 EFI 4Runner and need info on 2nd gens....

Old 03-10-2003, 07:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
giving up on my '85 EFI 4Runner and need info on 2nd gens....

Well, as much as I prefer to generally speaking anyway, I've decided to call it quits on my '85 EFI 4Runner. I had a great 8yrs and 3yrs of messing with a motor I could never get set up right and after this last go around I'm just not up to messing with it anymore. I suppose if there wasn't a baby on the way I could convince myself to spend another 5yrs trying to get it all set up right, but the concept of being in my 40's and trying to stuff a baby and seat into the back of a 2 door has no appeal.
So, I have to swallow my solid axle pride and go with a 4 door 2nd gen. What I need to know now are the pluses and minuses of them. I've already learned a lot about the V6's (bad headgaskets, bearings and wrist pins), chain drive transfercases and sagging rear ends, but I would be interested in some specifics both good and bad.

What I want:

1. Preferably very early 90's since I don't want to have a lot of money in it up front. Maybe then I can afford a spring over swap, plus I'll be honest, I'm a cheap SOB and not interested in frills.
2. V6, if already replaced. I have found while surfing the net that there are a surprising number of 4Runners out there for sale that have new V6s in them. Hopefully, the new motors come with the old problems fixed. Or, I would even consider a 4cyl. I'll miss what little extra torque and ponies that I had in my old one, but maybe I could go with a different outfit next time.
3. Basically, power nothing. I want something very close to the old Utility models. I DON'T want power windows, power locks, rear heaters, sunroofs, air conditioning, ABS, air bags...you name it. Power steering and power brakes and that's it. I want a truck, not a car with a transfercase.
4. Gear driven transfercase. Did the V6 only come with chain drives? Did the 4cyl stick with a gear driven case?
5. 5sp manual transmission.

Anybody have the real 411 on the 90's Runners or know good sites to find out about them? My wife suggested just buying an old fj40 and a Honda Accord. Tempting, but I'm pretty positive I'm going to miss having a 4Runner, especially an '85.
Any insights would be appreciated.
Old 03-10-2003, 08:25 PM

All 2nd gen V6 Runners and matching trucks have a chain driven transfer case. Marlin sells an adapter to put in the gear driven unit from the 4 banger. I wonder if the R151F from the turbo 4 cylinder in 1986 will bolt to the V6 bellhousing? It is stronger than the R150F tranny that came with the V6 and has a stock gear driven transfer case. Lower first gear too.

As far as a stripped down model - wow that may be a tall order. I searched for months to find a 4Runner with cloth interior and 5 speed. My truck has a sunroof and power everything. You may find a decontented 4Runner that is a 4 banger but in all my searching I never saw a v6 with manual windows/locks. All those power accesories have been very reliable for me. I suggest you find a truck with the tranny you want and not dwell so much on the power accessories. Toyota sold the 4Runner as an upscale alternative to what a lot of other manufacturers were importing.
Old 03-10-2003, 09:55 PM

Gotta agree w/Victor on this one. My money is on you NOT finding a stripped down 4Runner. When they introduced the 2nd gen., it was as a plush/capable SUV.(and thirsty too) Got another vehicle?? I say, let the rig sit in your yard..... put a brand new 4 cyl. in your 85 in about 2 yrs. One short year after that, your kid will be climbing into the back WITHOUT your help, and strapping him/herself in the child seat.
Old 03-11-2003, 03:08 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There's always a lot of negativity on 4Runner boards about the 2nd gen, but it my book, it was the first practical version. Getting into the backseat of a 2-door that sits two feet off the ground never struck me as a good way to make friends.

Those power accessories are nice....no more reaching back between the seats to roll up the baby's (or dogs' in my case) windows. And that sunroof is one or the best treats.

As for the early ones, lots of them are still running around, so they must be dependable. I always like the last year of a model run. Usually manufacturers will get all the bugs worked out by then.

Mechanically my '95 has been great, maintenance wise it has finally settled down to a low maintenance status. First 3-4 years it was costing an extra $100-200 per month (dealer did what I couldn't) just to take care of the little things that wore out, leaked or whatever.

The 3.0 engine has been reliable for me. torque comes on low, so I don't feel the need to rev it all the time. I generally shift before 2K rpms. I noticed that when I added the glasspack, the torque was stronger on the bottom end and seemed weaker on the top end which is why I'm getting a Magnaflow 2.25 catback. I think it will help both ends.

I endorse your choice of a 2nd gen for a family vehicle, and believe you will love it. Keep in mind down here in El Paso they sell pretty cheap and they're rust-free...something I see is an achilles heel in other locales. And don't rule out Ebay...lots of beauties there from Texas (no or less winter salt).

Good luck!
Old 03-11-2003, 03:18 AM
Contributing Member

Although this may put a few panties in a wad......... If your gonna SAS it go 2nd gen. If your going to keep it IFS and low for child loading ease. I know, been there done that twice. The front coil setup on the 3rd and 4th gen 4Runners is worlds better than the torsion bars of the 2nd gen.

I owned both, I know you guys love your 2nd gens, but guess what, Toyota actually made the IFS better, Imagine that.

See if you can find or at least go look at a 96-98 4Runner.
Old 03-11-2003, 03:48 AM
Contributing Member

Yep, coils are better than torsion bars. More comfort on the road, better articulation on the trail. But Farenheight indicated he's on a post-baby budget.

1. Preferably very early 90's since I don't want to have a lot of money in it up front. Maybe then I can afford a spring over swap, plus I'll be honest, I'm a cheap SOB and not interested in frills.
Old 03-11-2003, 04:20 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have a 90 with the 3.slow and (chain driven trasnfer case?) First Ive heard of that. Right now it has 217000 miles on it without any rebuild, so if the previous owner took care of the engine and tranny it should last. It came with every option save the sunroof. The only problems I've had with it were your typical maintenance stuff - 1 radiator, 1 evaporator cooler, 5 sets of tires, 2 rims, lots of brakes, 1 master cylinder, on its 5th timing belt, lots of oil and oil filters, the occasional glass adhesive to reanchor the windows to the actuators in the doors....

Several things are bothering me right now though
1. The main seal leaks
2. The power steering pump leaks
3. I think my driver's side head gasket is leaking - not sure though.

Incidentally, my immediate family has owned this truck since it was new waaaaaay back in '90. It has also survived 2 separate accidents - neither of which were my fault.

(Damn stupid people not knowing what all the red lights meant - "oh look there's the back end of a 4runner, Ill use that to stop..." grrrrrr)

It is a very nice vehicle and Im sure you will like it a lot...

steve

Last edited by Bumpin' Yota; 03-11-2003 at 04:26 AM.
Old 03-11-2003, 05:27 AM

I second the love of power accessories. I love having the sunroof open with the back window rolled down an inch or so. Great ventilation. Power windows and locks are a must in my opinion when you have kids. I just don't recommend leather if you have kids and dogs. The kids really do a number on the interior of my wife's TDi.
Old 03-11-2003, 03:58 PM
Contributing Member

While I can't talk about the leather and kids, it's great with dogs. Just teach them to stay in the cargo area. No dog hair sticks to the seats. And the scratching everyone is always talking about is nil.