Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Getting started as a wheeler.

Old 10-17-2005, 06:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Getting started as a wheeler.

I am wanting to begin modifications to my 4runner to build it up to an offroad rig. All of the different aspects of offroad rigs are a bit overwhelming at first. My 4runner has 118k on it, so I'm wanting to figure out the best plan of action. I'm narrowed it down to 3 basic choices. I can't afford to buy everthing at once, so I'll have to figure out what aspect I want to take care of first.

1) engine mods (ie: s/c, urd, headers, exhaust, etc. I'm already running on amsoil tranny fluid, amsoil oil and filter, and amsoil air filter. Since it has 118k I'll probably need to change out the diff and transfer fluids as well as the timing belt and water pump. Also it will need new rotors and brake pads before long (rotors are already warped.)

2) suspension mods (ie: springs, shocks, tires, gearing, etc)

3) protection mods (ie: skid plates, sliders, bumpers, etc)

Now I just need to figure out which order I should do these things in.
Old 10-17-2005, 06:22 PM
Banned

the way i see it, number one will cost you $$$$. with that money, you could do 2-3. Do the tundra/ome set up, get some budbuilt skids, stubbs or 4crawler sliders, 4crawler body lift, 285s on 16x8, a new bumper(front and/or rear) and winch. Do the engine mods later or just regear

EDIT: Definately do the general Maint. before anything. Dont worry about having too many miles to do modding, i started when i had aroun 150k? i now have 201K

Last edited by Localmotion; 10-17-2005 at 06:23 PM.
Old 10-18-2005, 10:37 AM
JGM

Go for option 4 first: Do no modding.

If you haven't done much offroading, then do that before anything else (except gen maint). That is pretty important because you don't want to spend $$ on a mod you will never need, or not need for a long time.
Old 10-18-2005, 10:51 AM

I agree. Go wheeling for 1-2 years and figure out what you want to do with your rig and where you want to be able to go. Then build from there.
Old 10-18-2005, 01:03 PM
Contributing Member

Job #1 - general maintenance
#2 - recovery and safety gear
#3 - wheel.
#4 - mods

Wheeling will give you the direction to go. MTs vs ATs, lift, protection etc. I'm sure someone will pipe up that upgrading the driver is the best performance increase you can get.

Plus, you may find out you like breaking (and fixing) your rig less than you enjoy difficult wheeling. This happened to me. I enjoy a challenging drive, don't mind using those skid plates, recovering vehicles etc IF there's a fishing hole, ski hill, backpacking trip etc at the end of it. Going hard, to find your limits, has beauty in it. But right now, its not for me.

That wasn't meant to be preachy.

ANd of course if you're a veteran offroader new to toyotas, IMO, 2,3,1.

If not - go with an experienced friend.

You may check the off-road forums as well. Much tech stuff in there as well as hookups for trail rides etc.
Old 10-18-2005, 02:15 PM
Contributing Member

i concur with the driver mod as #1. you will be pleasantly surprised with what your rig can do as it sits right now. get some seat time, dont worry about getting stuck, so long as you are with other experienced people. get recovery gear, learn how to use it properly and safely. as tempting as it may seem, DO NOT WHEEL ALONE.

there are plenty of experienced people on this forum, read up on the posts for maintenance, trail runs etc, watch for people near you that are working on their rigs and offer to help. you will meet some great friends on here!

good luck and keep us posted with pix and write-ups.

lee
Old 10-18-2005, 02:47 PM

Good advice in this thread

Just start wheelin' and everything else will sort itself out.
Old 10-18-2005, 03:08 PM

I'd get some experience wheeling and then get your suspension/body lift + tires.
Then decide how hard you want to wheel and buy the armor accordingly.
Engine mods are fun for highway speed, but not really necessary for wheelin
Old 10-18-2005, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by formulatoy#36
Good advice in this thread

Just start wheelin' and everything else will sort itself out.
X2
Old 10-18-2005, 03:39 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Crux
I'd get some experience wheeling and then get your suspension/body lift + tires.
Then decide how hard you want to wheel and buy the armor accordingly.
Engine mods are fun for highway speed, but not really necessary for wheelin

Bingo... just start out small and always be sure to have a buddy with 'wheeling experience of course to ride behind. I've personally found out that it's more of a waiting game with mods. You have to save money for it as well as judge your mod needs accordingly. Also be prepared to dish out more money for when something breaks or goes wrong. It's a great but expensive hobby so don't go with overkill like an SAS for a trail with gravel roads.
Old 10-18-2005, 08:42 PM

Thanks for all the tips everyone.

I live in Amarillo, TX, and as far as I can tell, to go wheeling with other 'yota enthusiasts I would have to go a LONG way as there doesn't seem to be too many on these forums from around here. The only places I know of to go wheelin' in this area is Red River (a dried up river bed in the middle of the woods that is hundreds of miles long that is mostly sand/dune type terrain) and Palo Duro Canyon (which, from what I hear, is the largest canyon/desert type area in this part of the United States.)

I know some people I could go wheelin' with, but they are mostly jeep/GM enthusiasts with bigass offroad rigs who will be going places that I probably couldn't attempt to get to with a stock rig. I just need to talk to more people and see if someone with a more mild setup would want to go riding sometime.

I keep thinking that I should probably invest in skid plates and sliders before I start wheeling because I figure it would be a good idea to have insurance and the peace of mind of knowing that if I make a stupid newbie mistake I can prevent damage to my rig or in the very least the damage will be much less severe. Does this seem like a good idea?
Old 10-18-2005, 08:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Haniblectre
Thanks for all the tips everyone.

I live in Amarillo, TX, and as far as I can tell, to go wheeling with other 'yota enthusiasts I would have to go a LONG way as there doesn't seem to be too many on these forums from around here. The only places I know of to go wheelin' in this area is Red River (a dried up river bed in the middle of the woods that is hundreds of miles long that is mostly sand/dune type terrain) and Palo Duro Canyon (which, from what I hear, is the largest canyon/desert type area in this part of the United States.)

I know some people I could go wheelin' with, but they are mostly jeep/GM enthusiasts with bigass offroad rigs who will be going places that I probably couldn't attempt to get to with a stock rig. I just need to talk to more people and see if someone with a more mild setup would want to go riding sometime.

I keep thinking that I should probably invest in skid plates and sliders before I start wheeling because I figure it would be a good idea to have insurance and the peace of mind of knowing that if I make a stupid newbie mistake I can prevent damage to my rig or in the very least the damage will be much less severe. Does this seem like a good idea?
we've got a texas group going here in DFW area. theres not too much around here, but if/when we plan a major wheeling trip to mineral wells or barnwell, we'll start a thread and maybe you'll be able to drive down for the weekend.

youd be surprised how far you can go with your stock 4runner. especially if you find yourself wheeling with GM/chevy fullsize pickups, you might actually go places they can't cause they're so darn long. i think theres someone else on yt thats in amarillo, cant remember who...maybe they'll see this thread...

protection is a good idea yes, if you feel the need to buy it right now. you can go wheeling and see where you would need protection without actually damaging your druck. if you want peace of mind, i would get sliders first, bc most everything else already has SOME sort of stock protection.

but the best advice has already been given: go wheeling, and the rest will fall in line. you'll see what YOU really need vs. what everyone says you 'need'.

good luck

Last edited by garrett1478; 10-18-2005 at 08:59 PM.
Old 10-18-2005, 10:41 PM

I'm in college right now, and I'm moving to Denton, TX next summer to go to the University of North Texas. I'll probably see about joining the DFW club after I move down there next year. It would be nice to be near a group of 'yota wheelers who would be able to give me pointers, advice, and possibly even help with modding my rig. I'd like to get involved with a group that helps each other with mods and such. Basically a 'I'll supply the tools and beer if you'll supply me with an extra set of hands'' kinda thing where we help each other whenever help is needed.
Old 10-19-2005, 01:11 PM
Contributing Member

go out with the full size gm guys once, they will probably laugh at you but when you go places they cant (as mentioned:too long), you can wave to them and ask them whats wrong that they cant follow you!

i wheel with a local jeep club, i get ribbed all the time. my payback was pulling out three of the members on one muddy run. one big tj w/34 truxus and ltd slip, a libby lifted, locked frt & rr and a cherry california xj. i even have pix!! that was all done on pretty much worn out toyo open country tires. oh, did i mention my rig was compeletly stock at the time?!

have fun, watch, listen and learn. if you are not sure about something, dont let anyone goad you into doing it. you pay for your repairs.

lee