Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

general question for 4runner professionals out there

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2005, 10:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
general question for 4runner professionals out there

Hi guys. I have a 2001 4-runner 3.4L V6. I was looking into installing my trd supercharger, (got it for 900 new local pick up thru ebay) Joe myers in Houston, Tx said they will do it for $300.00...very good price compared to Carboys(450)........

my main question is, what do headers and exhaust do?

and also, when do headers, exhaust break down?

I ask this because my parents wont let me install this stuff until the parts break down.

also, what 1/4 mile times do you think i will get if I install the following:

trd s/c
catback exhaust
new headers
k&n air intake

please help me out guys.
Old 04-15-2005, 10:35 PM
Banned

headers and exhaust will improve airflow, not bad ideas if gettign a supercharger

dont plan on the stock ones breaking down... they are for the most part designed and usually do last longer than the rest of the vehicle....
Old 04-15-2005, 10:38 PM

hey. but will it give horsepower? so how much horsepower do you think i will have in the end after all this?
Old 04-15-2005, 10:54 PM
Banned

it will add hp... to say how much is really incalcuable becasue there are too many variables....

and honestly, it sounds like you are young and trying to modify your parents car... unless you own it, dont.....
Old 04-15-2005, 11:32 PM
Contributing Member

yong take a look at Robs taco http://www.watrd.com/ he has dynoed his rig
Old 04-16-2005, 12:01 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jimabena74
dont plan on the stock ones breaking down... they are for the most part designed and usually do last longer than the rest of the vehicle....
Very VERY true. You live in Texas it looks like, so you will not have to worry about your exhaust breaking down. My pipes break down every 60 or 70,000 miles, but i live in Colorado, and so they see alot of moisture and MgCl, which eats them up. Your headers, i doubt, will ever wear out. I replaced mine, and the only reason was i couldn't get the 2.5 inch exhaust to mate up properly. My original set was fine after 230,000 miles.

I must also advise caution if this is your parents truck. Mods have a way of not always going as planned, or needing more money than originally thought. Also, if you are going to race it, you're stock parts aren't going to be up to that stress for long. But, if it's your vehicle, then by all means, have fun. I find mods to be rewarding, and enhancing the performance of your truck is always satisfactory.

Good luck.
Old 04-16-2005, 06:05 AM

well, they have a 97 t100 and a 98 camry. they bought this car for me new and they just feel like if its drivable, i dont need to change it. ÅÅÅÅ, now that you guys told me headers wont break down. that fking sukcs.
Old 04-16-2005, 06:34 AM
Contributing Member

headers aren't the easiest to install on the 3.4
Check out www.urdusa.com for s/c tuning tips and parts
you can do a catback or just replace your factory exhasut and save $$$ by reusing the factory pipe.
Old 04-16-2005, 07:53 AM
Contributing Member

1/4 mile times should be in the mid 14s maybe a little quicker.
Old 04-16-2005, 01:05 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by X-AWDriver
1/4 mile times should be in the mid 14s maybe a little quicker.
no way
Old 04-16-2005, 04:00 PM

well, ive seen lower times. ive seen a white 4runner tuned by Endless that di 12.5 . beat a corvette. guy lived down my street and he had nitrous, gutted everything out. ive seen him at the track. but the only thing is, i am not going nos.
Old 04-16-2005, 05:35 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Be sure to get some fuel mods and the tranny valve body reworked before hitting the 1/4 mile.
Old 04-16-2005, 09:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
YongXing, Sorry, you HAVE headers on your vehicle, or do you have the engines original exhaust manifold? I read your opening paragraph a few times, and then I read your subsequent responses, and I don't understand why you were getting upset when someone said headers/exhaust won't break down. If you have headers, you have headers, and I'd be damn happy if I had headers.

If you have the stock exhaust manifold & exhaust components which is what I suspect you have (as opposed to headers and a performance exhaust) that came with the engine when it was new, then that will last as long as the engine most likely, potentially longer, depending on where you live and your climate, etc. Usually exhausts pipes rust out and get holes in them from being exposed to moisture/salt as was already iterated.

Actual Headers will compliment the job of a supercharger quite nicely as they will improve the air flow from the exhaust valves (and as you already know, the supercharger improves air flow through the entire system but mainly through the intake hence why it's called a blower). To better compliment the job of headers you should opt for a better or higher flow cat, bigger exhaust pipes, and a higher flow muffler. There is a difference in my mind between waiting for something to break before replacing it with the same original stock components, and doing performance mods. You want to do performance mods. Doing performance mods usually doesn't consider things "breaking," - as you are replacing things with higher performance parts to improve power/mileage/response. There is the odd exception though in the case where in some vehicles that have potentiall problems with exhaust manifolds cracking or exhaust pipes getting holes in them, many will opt then to do performance mods in place of just fixing or replacing the stock system as it's not much of a difference in price really (well, you'll play slightly more to add the performance replacement in most cases, but often not much more for the most part).

So clarify for everyone - do you have the stock exhaust manifold, or headers? Also, do you still have the stock exhaust system as well (ie cat, muffler, pipes, etc.) ??
Old 04-16-2005, 09:49 PM

hey coed, thanks for responding. well , i got stock everything right now. i purchased the 900 s/c. i couldnt pass it up, it was a steal.........not only that, friends been telling me that i will need new headers, exhaust, iridium spark plugs. all this stuff. i was thinking maybe i should do all this together.

but to clear things up, everything is BONESTOCK.

how much mileage do you think i will get city and hwy? after all this is installed?
Old 04-17-2005, 07:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OK, so in that case opting for a good set of headers & a better performing exhaust system will be a performance modification in your case as opposed to fixing something that is broken. If you can sell THAT to your parents then perhaps you might be able to get it (if they can understand your lust for power). I've read lots of good reviews on guys who get superchargers, and then guys who decide to add a set of headers/exhaust system to their supercharged system giving them an even more noticeable amount of kick, so to speak.

I can't comment too much on the fuel situation with a S/C as I only know as much as what I've read on here from various others who have a 4runner/3.4/s/c set up, but the "going rate," I think is that you're going to need some fuel mods (someone can chime in on the 7th injector setup or whatever it's called - a fuel kit to work with the s/c). YOu are also going to need to run premium fuel with your supercharger to avoid pinging/detonation.

In terms of mileage, well I can't comment to much on that one again as you would be better of listening to the real world numbers from the pro's here, but I'm going to guess that it's a catch 22. One - you're running more expensive fuel because you need to. Two - You will have more horsepower at your finger tips so you'll probably use it a bit more. Both of these cost more $$$ from a fuel standpoint. But on the same note your engine won't have to work as hard to move your vehicle so that is beneficial in terms of fuel mileage (assuming you don't push it much more than you do now with the engine stock). Perhaps if you can get some real world numbers to compare to the stock numbers that might be a selling point to your parents. You can do a search and probably find this or perhaps some guys with S/C's can chime in.
Old 04-17-2005, 07:55 AM
Contributing Member

The SC'r is awesome...no other minor bolt ons will give you anything close to the power increases that this one item provides (see my sig). The key here, like others have mentioned, is to do it right the first time. Like you, I have a SC'r in my possession and plan on installing it after it returns from Magnuson from a rebuild. I got to drive a bone stock (except the SC'r) 97 home from CA to AZ and the power was amazing. However, it did ping under load, so I drove very conservatively.

I will not install this on my 96 without AT LEAST a Walbro FP, colder plugs, and some type of proven tuning device. Midiwall and Blink here on yotatech are knowledgable about tuning these with SMT devices.

In your case, given the Auto trans and it being your parents vehicle, I would skip the mod all together. I would sell it for $1500+ and invest the money. But that is just me. If you are hellbent on installing it, tack on another $1000 or so in mods to make it work, and that doesn't include installation of those mods.

Sorry man, but it's more than just a bolt on affair.
Old 04-17-2005, 08:40 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by CoedNaked
YongXing, Sorry, you HAVE headers on your vehicle, or do you have the engines original exhaust manifold?
The exhaust manifold is part of the engine, and the headers bolt to that. So, yes, he does have headers, even stock. They are a "log type" header. Performance headers are usually a "tri Y" design. TRD makes a decent set-up for the 3.4 to be used with the S/C.
Old 04-17-2005, 09:25 AM

Axle--is the log type header the brass pipe that bolts to the exhaust manifold? what is its purpose exactly and how is the tri-Y design different? my stock manifold had a huge crack in it (100K) so I replaced it last week. I never knew anything connected to it besides the flange and exhaust until I went to change out the manifold!
Old 04-17-2005, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by AxleIke
The exhaust manifold is part of the engine, and the headers bolt to that. So, yes, he does have headers, even stock. They are a "log type" header. Performance headers are usually a "tri Y" design. TRD makes a decent set-up for the 3.4 to be used with the S/C.

Prove it.

wade
Old 04-17-2005, 10:17 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by wimpywade94
Prove it.

wade
Prove What? TRD does make an exhaust kit for the 3.4, go to the dealership. IMO it is a decent kit. As for the rest of it, a "log type" is what i've heard the stock headers referred to. That isn't their actual name, but i'm not sure. Tri Y's are just that, 3 pipes connected at one end to a flange which bolts to the manifold, and come together at the other end to connect to the exhaust pipe. If you look at them, they sort of form y-shapes. (you have to use your imagination.

Quick Reply: general question for 4runner professionals out there