Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Gen 3 Electric fan Install

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 10:04 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Gen 3 Electric fan Install

Starting another install but this is one quite a few have already done. I did the electric fan install on my Gen 2 3.0 4runner about 1 1/2 years ago and it was quite the project for me. So now have decided to do this on my Gen 3 but I am running into a few snags. The radiator appears to be somewhat bigger then the gen 2 and ad to that, I tried to get the largest shroud electric I could find.

While on the hunt in another local Northwest wrecking yard, came upon this fan out of a 97 Taurus with the 3.8 V6. I was able to get the entire harness including what appears to be the OEM relay. Now the question I have about this fan is it a dual speed like the 3.0 Taurus fan? I'm kinda doubting it as the fan control wires only have 3 legs. I don't know may be it is a two speed fan. If it is, I am planning to use a rear heater fan speed select switch to control the fan speed on this electric mod. The 'LO' side will be for normal thermostat control and the 'HI' will be a manual override position which will cut out the 'LO' seting. Also I read about having the ability to turn the fan off when fording a stream. Well not too sure I will ever really need this setting but if I can figure it out that is how I will configure this set up.

I also noted that the stock Toyota shroud is quite a bit larger then the one out of the Ford. Any concerns about not covering the entire radiator? I was considering using the OEM shroud and cutting it down and then attaching it to the Ford fan/shroud. Any thoughts on this avenue?

I located the same thermo controlled relay set up which I used on my Gen 2 install. Has a selectable setting for the thermostat so you can determine at what temp you want the fan to come on. I plan on setting mine to 185 degrees. I got the harness from my local Auto Zone and with my military discount it was $34.

More to follow as I begin the process. I know I will have to manufacture some brackets but I did the same thing on my Gen 2 and it worked brilliantly.
Old 04-14-2008, 10:00 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Yeah the 2 speed Taurus fans have 3 wires. One "+" for the low speed, one "+" for the high speed, and 1 ground "-" . Get the "+" and "-" mixed up and the fan will run backwards.

If it were me I'd make a shroud that covers the whole radiator. But I live in a hot area, and have extra cooling needs because of a supercharger.

Last edited by mt_goat; 04-14-2008 at 10:04 AM.
Old 04-14-2008, 11:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I like the idea of the electric fan mod but my truck never gets to the halfway mark even in bumper to bumper traffic down here is the middle of a Texas summer. So i kinda figure it ain't broke so I aint gonna mess with it. Plus I have to admit I do kinda like the roar when the fan clutch is engaged. I have thought about adding an electric fan i have laying around to the condensor though.
Old 04-14-2008, 01:28 PM

I have thought about the Taurus fan upgrade but the question of "Why?" comes to mind. It isn't like it gets you more power or somehow relieves stress on the engine in a significant way. It is cool though!
Old 04-14-2008, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by mt_goat
Yeah the 2 speed Taurus fans have 3 wires. One "+" for the low speed, one "+" for the high speed, and 1 ground "-" . Get the "+" and "-" mixed up and the fan will run backwards.
Wasn't totally sure on that so thanks for the help. I will definitely use the dual speed hook up now. Big thing is I want to route the power through the dual speed switch I have installed in the dash. Using a two speed fan switch from a rear heater. That way it will even be for a fan! The idea is to have the normal thermo controlled speed power routed through the LO side of the switch, then run the manual control for the high speed through the HI side as a manual over ride. This way it cuts out the auto fan (LO) and runs the fan in high speed until its turned off or shifted back to "Auto" (LO).

I read about someone installing such a switch for when they ford creeks or streams as this way the fan could be turned off completely until they were clear of the water. Nice to have the capability even if I never really use it for that.

f it were me I'd make a shroud that covers the whole radiator. But I live in a hot area, and have extra cooling needs because of a supercharger.
Gr8 idea Dale, but as the radiator is somewhat larger then the fan, I was trying to figure out the best way to do that. I'm thinkin maybe I can pick up another shroud from a Gen 3 and then "manufacture" a larger shroud incorporating the Taurus fan so that it would completely enclose the radiator. Maybe use some of that ABS sewer pipe cement and literally weld the pieces together. The biggest issue seems to be the lower area so maybe I can cut off the bottom and then fabricate it together. Still have a few options so I will continue the "engineering phase". I Installed the two speed on my 95 with the 3.0 but even then I still have some issues on long pulls up steep grades at highway speeds, so having the second higher speed will be a nice bonus. I will post more as it progresses and then submit a write up when done.

Now just have to figure out which wire goes to which speed. Also need to determine what those two 'relay' looking components are
Old 04-14-2008, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Man4God
I have thought about the Taurus fan upgrade but the question of "Why?" comes to mind. It isn't like it gets you more power or somehow relieves stress on the engine in a significant way. It is cool though!
Actually what it does for you is give you that lost horse power that was being eaten up by the clutch fan. Albeit it is only about 2-3 HP but thats HP that can be doing other things when you need it. Less work to do the same job equals economy. If it nets you 1 MPG, in a vehicle that gets 17-20 thats a measurable increase. Wonder why most all race cars use electric cooling fans? It's to gain horse power! I did note improvement on my 3.0 when I did this the first time. Just MHO, but hey we do these for more then just astetics
Old 04-14-2008, 03:05 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Ritzy4Runner

I read about someone installing such a switch for when they ford creeks or streams as this way the fan could be turned off completely until they were clear of the water. Nice to have the capability even if I never really use it for that.

Yeah, I did that too. I used an on-off-on switch with a protective cover that defalts to the "auto high" setting and hooked up a buzzer and red LED light to the "off" position, so my wife won't accidently drive with it turned off. The buzzer and light trick was done by using a normally closed relay, when power is turned off the relay turns on.

Gr8 idea Dale, but as the radiator is somewhat larger then the fan, I was trying to figure out the best way to do that.
Here's some of what I did. https://www.yotatech.com/919669-post62.html But I have a smaller radiator than you. Maybe you could fit a Lincoin Mark VII fan, they are bigger, or dual fans

Now just have to figure out which wire goes to which speed. Also need to determine what those two 'relay' looking components are
If you look closely at the plug on the back of the motor mine showed a little "+" and "-" Also usually the high side uses bigger wires.

Last edited by mt_goat; 04-14-2008 at 03:32 PM.
Old 04-14-2008, 03:08 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here's some of what I did. https://www.yotatech.com/919669-post62.html But I have a smaller radiator than you. Maybe you could fit a Lincoin Mark VII fan, they are bigger, or dual fans

I still want your Mark VIII fan Dale
Old 04-14-2008, 03:30 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by mastacox
I still want your Mark VIII fan Dale
Yeah, Brian you are the first on the list if I don't use it. Summer is almost here.
Old 04-14-2008, 03:33 PM
Contributing Member

Yeah, Brian you are the first on the list if I don't use it. Summer is almost here.
Ha, I'm just messing with ya man
Old 04-14-2008, 04:06 PM
Contributing Member

Ha, I'm just messing with ya man
Oh, ok. I'm not sure it will even fit between the radiator and engine pulleys anyway. It will be a tight fit if it does.
Old 04-14-2008, 04:19 PM

Thanks for some gr8 photos and I may have to consider that option. I will have to measure the 3.8 Taurus fan to see how it compares to the MKVIII fan.
Old 04-14-2008, 04:49 PM

Not sure what the dimensions are for the MKVIII but the Taurus 3.8 fan is 22 x 16.

The stock radiator for the 3.4 is 27 x 24. Will definitely need to figure out some sort of shroud mod to make it fully fit the radiator for maximum cooling. Any suggesitons?
Old 04-14-2008, 06:00 PM
Contributing Member

According to this guy its 18.5 x 22 x 6 inches. The shroud can be cut down for a total depth of around 5.25" at the very minimum.
18" blade:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mark-...spagenameZWDVW
Old 04-14-2008, 06:52 PM

Don't know if there is enough room to clear the pully. I think I may still investigate the modding of the OEM shroud and then "splice" the Taurus fan into it. I'll keep ya informed
Old 04-15-2008, 12:51 AM
Contributing Member

Shame on you for putting Ford parts on a Toyota...
Old 04-15-2008, 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by Mtriple
Shame on you for putting Ford parts on a Toyota...
Well, when Toyota make an electric fan that will do the job, I will be happy to put one on it, but let me see .... driving lights off a 99 Pontiac Grand Am, autodimming mirror from a 99 Yukon, side marker LEDs off a 2005 VW Beetle, corner lights from an 83 Honda Accord, Bosch relays, wiring from various manufacturers including BMW, I don't think an electric fan from a 97 Ford Taurus is too much of a stretch. It is an international world we live in Oh and to think the idea for putting this fan on a Toyota came on this forum ... Lions and Tigers and Bears OH MY!

Last edited by Ritzy4Runner; 04-15-2008 at 05:36 AM.
Old 04-15-2008, 01:12 PM
Contributing Member

According to this guy its 18.5 x 22 x 6 inches. The shroud can be cut down for a total depth of around 5.25" at the very minimum.
18" blade:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mark-...spagenameZWDVW
I don't suppose you happen to have a picture that visually compares the thickness of the Mark VIII shroud and the Taurus shroud side-by-side, do you Dale?
Old 04-15-2008, 01:29 PM
Contributing Member

I don't suppose you happen to have a picture that visually compares the thickness of the Mark VIII shroud and the Taurus shroud side-by-side, do you Dale?
No, by the time I got the Mark VII fan I had already cut up the Taurus shroud. If it helps any the motors look identical. That ebay ad above has some very detailed dimensions near the bottom (scroll down).

Last edited by mt_goat; 04-17-2008 at 07:10 AM.
Old 04-15-2008, 02:26 PM

Here's an older thread on installing an electric fan. The pics have been moved, but it tells you where. That's the setup in my truck.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/e...stalled-61008/

Quick Reply: Gen 3 Electric fan Install