Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

gas smell and power loss

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2003, 09:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post gas smell and power loss

hey, i just bought an 87 4 runner everything about it drove fine and everything worked untill later that same night i was heading out of town and as i started to go up the mountain i noticed that as i pushed on the gas a strong gas smell filled the inside of the truck. I also noticed that my gas gauge started falling and then went all the way to empty. It moved back up a little on the flat road but only about a quarter of a tank then fell back down seconds later. when i was driving it earlier it was full of gas. Also too while i was out i went to try it out on a pretty steep hill and with the pedal to the floor it would barely climb the hill. i tried all combos of the tran settings from overdrive to power and still made no difference. does anyone have an idea of whats wrong. theres no visible leaks and no smells from the outside of the truck. thanks in advance.
kyle
Old 09-04-2003, 02:46 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: gas smell and power loss

Originally posted by kman5368
hey, i just bought an 87 4 runner everything about it drove fine and everything worked untill later that same night i was heading out of town and as i started to go up the mountain i noticed that as i pushed on the gas a strong gas smell filled the inside of the truck. I also noticed that my gas gauge started falling and then went all the way to empty. It moved back up a little on the flat road but only about a quarter of a tank then fell back down seconds later. when i was driving it earlier it was full of gas. Also too while i was out i went to try it out on a pretty steep hill and with the pedal to the floor it would barely climb the hill. i tried all combos of the tran settings from overdrive to power and still made no difference. does anyone have an idea of whats wrong. theres no visible leaks and no smells from the outside of the truck. thanks in advance.
kyle
That truck sounds dangerous to drive if you are really losing gas that quickly. You definately need to take a good hard look at the fuel delivery system, everything from the gas tank all the way up to the fuel injectors and look for leaks. Be very careful because you could easily have a fire on your hands if it is anywhere close to an exhaust component. :pat: