Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Gas prices..

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2004, 10:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gas prices..

we need to take over the oil refinery in Middle east for what they've done to US, Who's with me?. I just spent $41.00 at the pump and it feels like i've gotten raped and robbed by the yellow sea shell company.
Old 05-03-2004, 11:02 AM

I'm with you! It's obvious that they aren't responsible enough to handle all that money. $41 at the pump is insane. If we did take over the oil, I'm sure the liberal hippies would cause riots in our streets though.
Old 05-03-2004, 01:37 PM
Contributing Member

$41 in your Runner? How much is gas and that's mid grade,right?

My record so far is $29 for a little over $15 gallons.
Old 05-03-2004, 01:40 PM

try 48.50 @ Chevron - competitive price, 91 octane..

it sucks.
Old 05-03-2004, 02:27 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ChickenLover
I'm with you! It's obvious that they aren't responsible enough to handle all that money. $41 at the pump is insane. If we did take over the oil, I'm sure the liberal hippies would cause riots in our streets though.
I'm not going to get into this, but WE don't own the oil over there!

I just paid $2.17 here for regular. I think the problems are with the US, and somebody seriously needs to work their ˟˟˟˟ out.
Old 05-03-2004, 02:46 PM

See also, crude prices remaining relatively the same... and US OIL COMPANIES not building any new REFINERIES.

I don't think it's right to send Americans to die for cheaper gas.

Call me a hippie I guess.
Old 05-03-2004, 03:06 PM
Contributing Member

This will really blow your mind-

All gas is the same. Most companies get their gas from the same pipe line. The difference between brands is the difference between additives. The only thing that seperates Shell from Conoco is the additives. They probably pruchased the same fuel from the same pipe originating at the same refinery, but each company adds their own additives.

The thing that really irks me is when the news says "The cost of fuel is rising because demand is rising due to people going on vacation." That's genuine grade-A bull-sh**. Production is the same year round. The demand is the same year round. Sure, more people go on vacation in the summer, but more people also drive their cars in winter. Consequently, fewer people walk and ride bikes in the winter. The demand is the same year round.

Furthermore-
Are our fighting men and women overseas losing their lives for better gas prices or are they protecting the American men, women and children from the attrocities such as those witnessed in Spain?
Old 05-03-2004, 03:21 PM

Well, perhaps if the greenies would stop blocking drilling in Alaska and we would keep that oil here, things might get a little better. However, we are still better off that much of Eurpose where has is over $4.00 per gallon and people drive micro cars. The only real answer to this is the development of alternative fuel sources (hydrogen), hybrids and more nuclear power plants. If we could lessen our dependence on foreign oil (demand), then the price will come down to be competitive with other methods of generating BTUs. As for someone's comments that the price of crude has remained stable, what planet are you on. Crude is back over $37.00 a barrel, way up from a year ago at $29.00 a barrel and many are predicting $40.00 a barrel by the end of the year. Yes, the oil companies are showing record profits but that's because Americans refuse to lessen their demand in spite of the price - the most inelastic of demand curves. Fortunately here in Va., the increases have been much less than Ca.. Regular is still $1.68 and premium $1.89.
Old 05-03-2004, 03:59 PM

Good God that is insane. I live in the cheap part of the country and I'm not too far behind you. Just invested in a little 4cyl. car because this gas stuff is just getting out of hand!
Old 05-03-2004, 05:01 PM

Here we go...

The drilling in Alaska is proposed inside the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge. The amount of oil under ANWR is estimated to amount to a 240 day supply of gasoline under current US demand. Is there a legal right for any body of any government to decide that it can just side step regulations regarding wildlife areas? After all, wasn't it 'the people' who decided that this land might be better of as a sanctuary for native animals rather than as a possible oil field?

An increase of price of 9 or so dollars doesn't amount to much in a 55 gallon drum of sweet crude.

As for Spain, considering that the individuals who carried out the bombings were terrorists, i.e. not Iraqi insurgents, I'd say their (US Soldiers) efforts are being shortchanged by an administration who cares little for the fighting Soldier. At least in terms of veteran's healthcare and enlisted mens combat pay, etc.

See also the 700 million earmarked for fighting the Taliban remnants in Afghanistan which was used instead for the gearup for war in Iraq.

This is beside the point and I don't want to argue about something that will see everyone flaming mad at it's finale.

Suffice to say that I think the right of one country to invade another strictly for it's oil and the money it can make is fundamentally wrong.

After all, isn't that why we went to the Gulf in 1992?
Old 05-03-2004, 05:20 PM

I think the first step is to increase the market share of diesel vehicles. Who ever said that the prices in Europe are about twice ours is right, but they get almost twice the fuel economy. My mom has a 2002 VW Golf TDI and that thing rocks!! It has 90 hp, low I know, but just about as much as my tired 22re and it’s FAST, plus it gets over 50 miles to the gallon! If that doesn't scream of design capabilities not being fully investigated I don't know what does! Does anyone remember around a year ago when the EPA tried to increase the minimum fuel economy on SUV's? The American Auto makers screamed such bloody murder that you thought we would be walking to work before they would see a small increase. They could do it, but they won't until we make them. I hate paying $2.07 a gallon, and I won’t buy a vehicle that doesn’t jump through fuel economic hoops.

There are a TON of politics involved, but money talks. I’m conserving and riding my bike as much as I can. Just my $0.02.

Erich

PS. Some one will mention it, but you can always make your own biodiesel, until that becomes illegal when they catch on that there would be no gas tax attached :cry:
Old 05-03-2004, 05:23 PM
Contributing Member

No wonder you guys are so rich
I put $40USD into my tank every 4 days.
Be glad you don't live in Canada, let me stress that.
Old 05-03-2004, 07:49 PM

Yeah it is an old story. When I lived in the bay area the gasprices went up everytime a small incident happened at the local refinery. Being in Southern california is not much better, everyone has an suv and commutes great distances to go to work. This makes you believe that there is a shortage though there is plenty of oil in storage.

The price is regulated by the companies here in US and is high simply because they can, not because the price per barrel has gone up. But w/o a car how would most people get to work here, take the bus! what bus (and yes I do bike to work sometimes too so I make it a little further on each tank, but I doubt most people have that option). Therefore people complain but can't do much about w/o investing in a new car.
Drilling in Alaska is a mega joke, not only is it irresponsible I also don't think that is going to be cheap or lower prices at the pump. But hey what did you guys expect with a couple of Oil barons in the White house.

Overall, it keeps me from flooring the 4runner or getting a supercharger (but think of the idiots that bought a H2 just for picking up the kids!)

Last edited by Roadtripr; 05-03-2004 at 07:51 PM.
Old 05-03-2004, 08:36 PM
Contributing Member

Another gas price thread again???

Just kidding!
The pump shock is always pretty tough - it's always going to be hard to get over. But hey, if I was REALLY that concerned over the price of gas, I'd sell my gas guzzling truck and go buy a hybrid
Old 05-03-2004, 08:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If only we could run on hopes and dreams
Old 05-03-2004, 09:13 PM
Contributing Member

Yea, won't be getting a lift and tires any time soon when I can hardly aford 21 MPG!
Old 05-03-2004, 09:18 PM

Talking

No kidding! Quit the whining already. As they say, 'ya gotta pay to play'. And if you aren't towing, climbing, hauling or 4-wheeling on a weekly basis, you got the wrong vehicle man! I don't like the prices much either ($2.01 at Arco today), but we all KNEW the mileage of our vehicle when we bought them. For God's sake, you know this up front! If you're commuting in your truck 50+ miles a day....you get what you deserve...a big gas bill.

I'll leave the political squabbling to those who care. Me?! I'm gonna go play. IMHO, it's worth the price of admission. I love my truck :-).

-A
Old 05-03-2004, 09:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I always try to fill up before it drops below half a tank, 25 bucks is enough for less then half a tank :pat:
Old 05-03-2004, 09:26 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
If you don't like gas prices, sell the 4runner and buy a Prius or Echo or some other small vehicle. If that sounds harsh, thats just the reality of hte situation

Tom4416, you hit the nail on the head. Liberals and friends of owls () can never be happy or satisfied about alternative energy sources.

Bob

edit: perjorative term used for environmentalists. replaced. my apologies
Old 05-03-2004, 10:15 PM

I'll be happy when the government puts half as much money into renewable energy research as they put into subsidizing ONE nuclear power plant.

But yeah, I agree, the sun's energy is free, so who'll be able to hold secret task force meetings with the vice president if we have unlimited, free, and non-polluting energy?

And I'd rather hump an Owl than Dick Cheney.

: shivers :

edit: changed to a more disarming : wink :

Last edited by ilion; 05-03-2004 at 10:18 PM.

Quick Reply: Gas prices..