Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

garmin streetpilot 3

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2003, 08:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
garmin streetpilot 3

what do you guys think about this thing...im seriously htinking about buying this but its expensive..should i get this or just get the Garmin V .....
Old 03-08-2003, 09:57 PM
Contributing Member

I have the Magellan Meridian Marine. It is great.

Magellan also has a color screen model available.
Old 03-09-2003, 12:02 PM
Contributing Member

I got the StreetPilot III deluxe when my old StreetPilot color got stollen. I like the color display and the 128mb of memory it has. Being stationed in Europe I need alot of memory for all the base maps and country maps. I think, but I may be wrong the GPS V only has 19mb of memory. I really like my III. The voice does not update as fast as I would like so I have that disconnected now. If you are only going to use it for the car and are going to get a handheld for walking than I say go for the III but if you are only going to have one GPS for both go witht he V. Also the III is a battery pig if you run it off batteries and not the 12v, Well that is just my .02
Old 03-09-2003, 05:15 PM
Contributing Member

My area here.. Pro's and Cons on the SPIII vs the Garmin V.. I wanted a SPIII real bad untill I tried out my boss's III The voice was cool at first but got annoying, I still love the color and the larger memory.. But hands down the Garmin V still wins it. Just on the fact of how easy it is to work with (size wise) that SPIII is just too much for the dash ... It is dang huge!! The 19 megs is pretty good and I only need to change if I am going way out of my area.. I Mass. I have all of mass (and Boston area) except for the cape. ( I have a good amount of NH. VT CT & RI to boot all in my memory..) There are a few other things that my boss even likes better about the V and he did say that he wished he still had his V

BTW, I use mine every day and log a ton of miles on it.. I use it to locate customers houses, shops ect.. and I put on about 5k a month.. (+) I bought it in June and have close to 40k on it now..

It is my best friend of the day.. I would recomend the V all day long..

PS, take a peek at my site for a solution for a good dash mount!
Old 03-09-2003, 05:19 PM

Originally posted by Firefyter-Emt
My area here.. Pro's and Cons on the SPIII vs the Garmin V.. I wanted a SPIII real bad untill I tried out my boss's III The voice was cool at first but got annoying, I still love the color and the larger memory.. But hands down the Garmin V still wins it. Just on the fact of how easy it is to work with (size wise) that SPIII is just too much for the dash ... It is dang huge!! The 19 megs is pretty good and I only need to change if I am going way out of my area.. I Mass. I have all of mass (and Boston area) except for the cape. ( I have a good amount of NH. VT CT & RI to boot all in my memory..) There are a few other things that my boss even likes better about the V and he did say that he wished he still had his V

BTW, I use mine every day and log a ton of miles on it.. I use it to locate customers houses, shops ect.. and I put on about 5k a month.. (+) I bought it in June and have close to 40k on it now..

It is my best friend of the day.. I would recomend the V all day long..

PS, take a peek at my site for a solution for a good dash mount!

do you think a simple nav syste and a lap top with streets 2003 is as good as th V or should i get a stand alone unit?:pat:
Old 03-09-2003, 06:58 PM
Contributing Member

I have to tell you.. I use mine more like is is supposed to be than most people.. I am using it to navigate about 90% of the time I am driving. This being said, and having it in a couple difffrent locations I have found that if you do not have it on the top of the dash and within about 12-16" of the center of your steering wheel, it is hard to use as a "heads up display" I mean it like that because you need to be able to just glance over it with out searching and letting your eyes adjust to a diffrent distance.. They will slightly when you look at the screen, but not like if you are looking at your dash...

I tried to use it on the cup holder of my 4Runner and I found my self missing turns left & right (pun intended)

My T-bird has it slightly too far to the right and my 4Runner just a little too far to the left.. (There is a correct spot needed if you get real fussy..) This is where I come up with the 12-16" Look at my website main page www.yankeetoys.org/lee and you can find a page for my T-bird.. Take a look at where it is on the dash, and then look at my 4Runner page for the GPS mount and look at where it is.. Now you want to pretty much split that distance..

a lap top set up will get more info, but you will find it hard to navigate with.. BTW, my T-bird is set up for a laptop set-up.. I have a cable that will hook to the com port on a laptop and I can add maps directly to my GPS (it will be down for up to 45 min for a full map set) I never use it because I don't need it.. But it would be ideal for long trips.. Stop and take a lunch, load maps..

All that being said.. find me one person who does not like the Garmin V... Buy it, and you will never regret it.. Plus, they are selling full retail on e-bay! I would not spend more than $400 for one, let me know if you have trouble finding one for that price..

One last note, you may want to order extra bases (about $10) for each car you own.. Once you start driving with one, you will not want to go anywhere without it..Seriously!

buy me .. buy me...

Last edited by Firefyter-Emt; 03-09-2003 at 07:01 PM.