Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

a functional hood scoop?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2003, 10:37 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
a functional hood scoop?

hey, i just saw this page - http://www.geocities.com/sailbop/PICS.html (thanks to the links on corey's page. hey corey you gotta get my site on there too and i'll link yours on mine). anyway, the guys connected some tubes from the hoodscoop to his airbox...and it got me thinking. what kind of impact does this have? i didn't really see any information on the webpage. is it worth it, easy to do?? i'm curious, because this is the first time i've seen this done
Old 05-30-2003, 03:22 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The guy did his math wrong though. He states "The 4 pieces of_ 3/4" tube equal a total inner diameter of 3"."

My calculations show a 3" tube having a cross sectional area of 7.1 square inches. His piping has a combined cross sectional area of 1.8 square inches. His four 0.75" pipes added as much cross sectional area as one 1.5" pipe.

Plus all those bends in the piping will slow the velocity of the air flow and give it more time to absorb engine heat.

But it is a auxiliary intake.
Old 05-30-2003, 04:42 AM

Originally posted by gwhayduke
The guy did his math wrong though. He states "The 4 pieces of_ 3/4" tube equal a total inner diameter of 3"."

My calculations show a 3" tube having a cross sectional area of 7.1 square inches. His piping has a combined cross sectional area of 1.8 square inches. His four 0.75" pipes added as much cross sectional area as one 1.5" pipe.
That's the first thing I noticed too. Did any of you see the extra electric fan he has mounted in there? I wonder if he put that in due to an overheating problem?
Old 05-30-2003, 04:58 AM

he's probably using that fan to help keep the supercharged engine cooler than normal.
Old 05-30-2003, 05:08 AM

He installed the electric fan in to increase performance. The factory fan is a mechanical type that uses a clutch and belt. This is parasitic and creates a drag on the powertrain. By removing the fan he probably added 10hp+. Several members of TTORA have done the same to there Tacoma's using the Flexlite 210 fan. Almost all of them have reported a significant gain especially with the s/c. I plan to do the same soon!
Old 05-30-2003, 05:20 AM

Links not working...
Old 05-30-2003, 05:21 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by kaneman23
He installed the electric fan in to increase performance. The factory fan is a mechanical type that uses a clutch and belt. This is parasitic and creates a drag on the powertrain. By removing the fan he probably added 10hp+. Several members of TTORA have done the same to there Tacoma's using the Flexlite 210 fan. Almost all of them have reported a significant gain especially with the s/c. I plan to do the same soon!
We're pretty smart here too. We know of this mystical beast as well:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...t=electric+fan
Old 05-30-2003, 05:24 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
calrockx, I'll try and add you sometime soon.
I'll drag your bookmark to my desktop so I know to add it later.

His page is hosted with Geocities, so it will go down often due to people looking at it, and he has the free account.
Geo is not made for high bandwidth use.

Members who use Geocities can upgrade for $$$ to host pics on forums that will show up, and also get more bandwidth.
Old 05-30-2003, 05:41 AM

Yep, we know about replacing the factory fan with the flex, but I was talking about the auxilary fan mounted off to the side. It's on the driver side mounted at an angle. I've only seen that a couple of times before at car shows trying to cool a big ol' RAT!
Old 05-30-2003, 07:12 AM

Originally posted by gwhayduke

He is technically correct - they do have equal DIAMETER. But of course that is irrelevant - area is what counts!

C

Last edited by GV27; 05-30-2003 at 07:15 AM.
Old 05-30-2003, 07:39 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Cebby
Yep, we know about replacing the factory fan with the flex, but I was talking about the auxilary fan mounted off to the side. It's on the driver side mounted at an angle. I've only seen that a couple of times before at car shows trying to cool a big ol' RAT!
Yeah I saw that. I am not quite sure why there would be an extra fan there. Its not like there is an InterCooler to blow air through. It seems like it would be doing more harm than good because he is using more of the engine's power to run that useless fan.

The hoses IMO are a joke, there is no way you could get more air through the hood scoop than either the deckplate or elbow mod. To add, why did he cut his bug shield, I doubt that it made that much of a difference with the shield in-tact..
Old 05-30-2003, 07:53 AM
Contributing Member

Got the kids taking a final...Thought I'd check in.

We don't know his thoughts on the hood scoop or the fan. But looking at both of them brings home why we have this forum. It's great to bounce ideas off of each other and get feedback on whether those ideas are well based or not.

I agree that any gains from the hood scoop are minimal or in the guy's mind. The fan appears to be the same. At the angle it was at when I looked at it this morning, it would be impossible for it to draw any air through the radiator. In fact if it's blowing rather than sucking, it could impede the airflow.
Old 05-30-2003, 08:05 AM

The History Channel had a piece on the GTO a few weeks back. One of the early features was a hood scoop. The engineers talked about how, with the air flow over the hood, the scoop was useless...but it looked cool. If they REALLY wanted more air to the engine, an intake needs to go along the front edge of the car, or in our case truck.

I think the deckplate mod will get more air to the engine than this configuration.
Old 05-30-2003, 11:19 AM

keisur

That's cool. After reading the other guy's post it sounded like he had never seen the electric fan mod...
Old 05-30-2003, 04:08 PM

Re: keisur

That's cool. After reading the other guy's post it sounded like he had never seen the electric fan mod...
Old 05-30-2003, 04:12 PM

What if it rains?
Old 05-30-2003, 11:09 PM
Contributing Member

duct tape! /nod
Old 05-31-2003, 03:36 AM

hood scoops

Yeah, the area from about a 6 inches back from the leading edge of the hood is in a low pressure area, because of the air flow over the grill crown and then over the windshield . You'de need a tunnel ram to make any difference. But I've always been a sucker for the looks of a scoop
Old 05-31-2003, 04:29 AM
Contributing Member

Yeah, the area from about a 6 inches back from the leading edge of the hood is in a low pressure area, because of the air flow over the grill crown and then over the windshield .
You're right. Wouldn't it be ironic if the "scoop" was actually having a reverse effect and was actually sucking air out of his airbox?
Old 05-31-2003, 11:18 PM

Now that I consider it, I realize how common the e-fan is on transverse mounted engines. Given the apparent advantages, why wouldn 't 'Yota have made this a stock engine feature? And I've also thought about the A/C compressor...it doens't make difference that I can tell on my V6, but why not use an electric compressor on smaller engines?

Quick Reply: a functional hood scoop?