Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Fuel Injection Problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2004, 10:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel Injection Problems

I was wondering if anyone on here knows some good ways to impove fuel injection on a 96 Toyota 4ruuner. I'm looking for better performance. I know for a fact that the fuel injectors have never been cleaned professionally, and the filters or pumps haven't been replaced. What would anyone with knowledge in this area of mechanic recommend.
Old 05-07-2004, 11:31 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Cooper04
I was wondering if anyone on here knows some good ways to impove fuel injection on a 96 Toyota 4ruuner. I'm looking for better performance. I know for a fact that the fuel injectors have never been cleaned professionally, and the filters or pumps haven't been replaced. What would anyone with knowledge in this area of mechanic recommend.
What are you trying to achieve?
If you're looking for better performance, try the deckplate mod and larger exhaust. You will notice a very marginal increase in performance. You won't gain much from the injectors, especially if they have been cleaned.
If you are looking for a big bump in power, install a supercharger. Then you can add larger injectors and a few other things that will really give the beast some kick.
Old 05-09-2004, 09:32 AM
Nic

For starters, you may want to first run a can of BG 44K through it. After you get done with that, you may want to change the fuel filter since the BG 44K may put a lot of deposits in it. Also wait to change your oil after doing the first two. I noticed my oil got dirty afterwards, especially on my Camry.

I found out about the BG 44k here. I am convinced it is good stuff. It really helped my 84 Camry run better.

At the very least, change your fuel filter. When I changed the one in my Tacoma, it was really dirty.

Also, I forgot to add, a throttle body cleaning may help too.

You should be able to do all this yourself if you have the tools and patience.

Last edited by Nic; 05-09-2004 at 09:34 AM.
Old 05-09-2004, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by Cooper04

Buy new fuel filter, plugs, and two cans of Seafoam Motor Treatment. Change the fuel filter. Read the directions on the Seafoam can. You want to run it through the fuel system, directly into a vaccum line. Seafoam will clean your injectors and remove carbon build-up. Change plugs. Motor should run much smoother and powerful, like new.
Old 05-09-2004, 10:56 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by calamaridog
Buy new fuel filter, plugs, and two cans of Seafoam Motor Treatment. Change the fuel filter. Read the directions on the Seafoam can. You want to run it through the fuel system, directly into a vaccum line. Seafoam will clean your injectors and remove carbon build-up. Change plugs. Motor should run much smoother and powerful, like new.

How does the seafoam clean the injectors if you run it all through the vacum lines?
That may clean the valves but how does it do the injectors?
Old 05-09-2004, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by MTL_4runner
How does the seafoam clean the injectors if you run it all through the vacum lines?
That may clean the valves but how does it do the injectors?

You are right. I was in a hurry and I did not explain myself completely. Run a can (16 oz.) with a full tank of gas to help clean the injectors. Run it through a direct manifold vaccum line (p.v.c. valve or brake booster) to clean carbon build up. Results = smoother idle, more pick-up, etc. This stuff really works great and I recommend it all the time.

www.seafoamsales.com

And no, I don't work for them