Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Fuel gauge issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 08:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel gauge issue

So I have been reading a little on this issue that seems to be so common in the 2000 4runner. I completely filled it up last night, drove 14 miles and the needle is right at 3/4 tank. I know this can't be right, but does anyone know a solution to fix this? I have read the sender unit could be bad, cluster could be bad, or just a bad tank of gas. But does anyone know for sure what is going on here? It seems to work normally below 3/4 tank, but I don't know how much I can trust the gauge.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:42 AM

Lightbulb Yeah, I have the same issue.

Look here.

Since from what I can see the fix would require dash disassembly for a new circuit board as well as replacing the tank sensor, my thoughts are that for free I can just plan on filling up if it gets to a 1/2 tank or so knowing that it will not be as bad as I thought.

If there is an easier fix, though, I would be interested.

Britt
Old 03-13-2013, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by 94 Newbie
Look here.

Since from what I can see the fix would require dash disassembly for a new circuit board as well as replacing the tank sensor, my thoughts are that for free I can just plan on filling up if it gets to a 1/2 tank or so knowing that it will not be as bad as I thought.

If there is an easier fix, though, I would be interested.

Britt
So what your saying is both the circuit board AND tank sensor would need replaced?
Old 03-13-2013, 11:20 AM

I do not know for sure, but according to the TSB, yes.

Originally Posted by muddy4runner315
So what your saying is both the circuit board AND tank sensor would need replaced?
It says that a new circuit plate no. 3, fuel sender gauge, and suction tube assemblies have been developed.

Oh, yeah - I forgot that it mentions that replacing the circuit plate will cause the odometer to be rest to zero ...

The dealer would probably have to be the one to order the replacement with the correct mileage , and they would probably want to do the job, and it sounds like it would cost more than I would want to spend on it.

My .02, anyhoo.

Britt
Old 03-13-2013, 06:33 PM

It says that a new circuit plate no. 3, fuel sender gauge, and suction tube assemblies have been developed.

Oh, yeah - I forgot that it mentions that replacing the circuit plate will cause the odometer to be rest to zero ...

The dealer would probably have to be the one to order the replacement with the correct mileage , and they would probably want to do the job, and it sounds like it would cost more than I would want to spend on it.

My .02, anyhoo.

Britt
Do you have any idea about how much it would cost? Thanks
Old 03-14-2013, 04:53 AM

No, as I do not know what the parts would run.

Do you have any idea about how much it would cost? Thanks
Looks like the TSB calls for 1.1 hours of labor for both items , so I would guess $ 100.00 in labor.

The parts are the tricky part - I do not know if your speedo would get sent off and reset, or if you can still get 13 year old "new" reset speedos and if so , how much they would cost.

I got lucky the one time I had to play with a digital odometer - it was on the Camaro, and the rebuilder at the time was also in Houston. Drove over there with the cluster, they tested it, decided it was off, and gave me a different one (note I did not say new ! ) with my mileage on it.

I did, however, wind up having to take the car back to the dealer to get the BCM flashed to match the cluster as I had an airbag light afterwards - something about the new cluster not being the original to the car.

With all that being said, it seems like the dealer is the best route, and I would guesstimate $ 400.00 or so total.

Total meaning total guess, BTW.

Britt
Old 03-14-2013, 05:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had this happened to me last year. Filled up with gas and gauge would top out at 3/4 full the next day. It happened right after filling up at a 2nd tier gas station, Speedway gas. I went back to Mobil gas and some techron injector cleaner. The gauge went back to normal function after that and hasnt had a problem since. FWIW, When I replaced my fuel pump last december, i found that the PO had already replaced the sending unit.

Last edited by DRCOFFEE; 03-14-2013 at 05:46 AM.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by DRCOFFEE
I had this happened to me last year. Filled up with gas and gauge would top out at 3/4 full the next day. It happened right after filling up at a 2nd tier gas station, Speedway gas. I went back to Mobil gas and some techron injector cleaner. The gauge went back to normal function after that and hasnt had a problem since. FWIW, When I replaced my fuel pump last december, i found that the PO had already replaced the sending unit.
Thanks for the help. I filled it at a Bp and didn't notice the gauge drop to 3/4 tank, but after I filled up at Casey's it went to full but slowly dropped to 3/4. After only 14 miles. I will probably run some techron through next fill up and possibly have the sender unit looked at as well.
Old 03-14-2013, 01:57 PM

My fuel gauge hasn't worked properly in my 99 Ltd for years. Sometimes work sometimes not.
I just reset the trip on the odometer everytime I fill up. To much BS to fix it all.
BUT the low fuel light always seems to work properly! I know how much gas my SUV uses, temperature dependant ~ HWY/City blaa blaa.

Long story I wouldn't worry bout' it. just watch your mileage and reset trip everytime you get fuel. Oh yeah, always "fill" up the same amount each time. IE) as much as you can pack in there ~ even past the the stopper activates to prevent fuelling spillage.
Old 03-14-2013, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by nosepicker
My fuel gauge hasn't worked properly in my 99 Ltd for years. Sometimes work sometimes not.
I just reset the trip on the odometer everytime I fill up. To much BS to fix it all.
BUT the low fuel light always seems to work properly! I know how much gas my SUV uses, temperature dependant ~ HWY/City blaa blaa.

Long story I wouldn't worry bout' it. just watch your mileage and reset trip everytime you get fuel. Oh yeah, always "fill" up the same amount each time. IE) as much as you can pack in there ~ even past the the stopper activates to prevent fuelling spillage.
Thanks, I figured that since my gas light comes on with about 5 gallons left I will just fill it then. As long as it lets me know when it needs gas then I'm good, is the way I look at it now.
Old 03-14-2013, 02:15 PM

I looked into replacing the Fuel sending unit. Too much BS because the sending unit and fuel pump are all one unit. You have to remove the fuel tank by 'lowering' it off of the vehicle. and then you can acces the top off the fuel tank to remove and replace the Pump/Sending unit.
I think I priced one out at $350.00
And then the work involved ~ Forget it.
I think the low fuel light comes on at 1.5 Gallons left? I know I have about 35 miles ~ ish ~ once it comes on? Certainly not 5 gallons thou

Last edited by nosepicker; 03-14-2013 at 02:18 PM.
Old 03-14-2013, 02:23 PM

I looked into replacing the Fuel sending unit. Too much BS because the sending unit and fuel pump are all one unit. You have to remove the fuel tank by 'lowering' it off of the vehicle. and then you can acces the top off the fuel tank to remove and replace the Pump/Sending unit.
I think I priced one out at $350.00
And then the work involved ~ Forget it.
I think the low fuel light comes on at 1.5 Gallons left? I know I have about 35 miles ~ ish ~ once it comes on? Certainly not 5 gallons thou
Mine came on just under a quarter tank. I filled it and it only pumped 12.5 gallons. I read that once the sender unit goes bad, it messes with when the fuel light comes on.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:53 PM

Mine came on just under a quarter tank. I filled it and it only pumped 12.5 gallons. I read that once the sender unit goes bad, it messes with when the fuel light comes on.

Hmm I may have seen that a little bit once in a while? maybe twice ~ But most of the time the low fuel light was always really close to where it is normally, with or without the proper functioning of the fuel gauge. So I would disagree that Quote is true. Looks like you actually may of had 6 gallons left?

My advice is to just let her simmer down a bit first. who knows ~ but from my experience its a different story everyday with the fuel gauge. To my knowledge if I remember correctly... The fuel gauge float sending unit (in the fuel tank) sends electrical info based on the amount of "resistance" it is sensing ~ If you have A LOT of time on your hands you could pull the tank and put the Multimeter to it just like the repair manual demonstrates.

Me, I just reset the trip and usually refuel at 370 Km's and then see how much fuel I put in and so forth.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:16 PM

Hmm I may have seen that a little bit once in a while? maybe twice ~ But most of the time the low fuel light was always really close to where it is normally, with or without the proper functioning of the fuel gauge. So I would disagree that Quote is true. Looks like you actually may of had 6 gallons left?

My advice is to just let her simmer down a bit first. who knows ~ but from my experience its a different story everyday with the fuel gauge. To my knowledge if I remember correctly... The fuel gauge float sending unit (in the fuel tank) sends electrical info based on the amount of "resistance" it is sensing ~ If you have A LOT of time on your hands you could pull the tank and put the Multimeter to it just like the repair manual demonstrates.

Me, I just reset the trip and usually refuel at 370 Km's and then see how much fuel I put in and so forth.
I have only owned the vehicle a little over 2 weeks and this was my second fill up- forgot to mention that earlier. I'm sure it will be hit or miss as you said but I was more or less just looking to see if anyone knew any easy fixes. I appreciate your help and will keep the thread updated with what I find out with my situation.
Old 03-17-2013, 07:34 AM

Yeah mine does something like this as well. When I fill it up it says its empty. Then I drive about 75 miles and it will go to full. Then stays on full for the rest of the tank. It has brand new Toyota sending unit in it and didn't fix it. Now here's the kicker. If I hook my utility trailer up with weight in it. The guage works perfect. So I just fill it up ever 225 miles. My runner gets crap for fuel mileage with 285/75-16 and 410 gears with a lift so it sucks the fuel down.
Old 03-17-2013, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by 4runner joe
Yeah mine does something like this as well. When I fill it up it says its empty. Then I drive about 75 miles and it will go to full. Then stays on full for the rest of the tank. It has brand new Toyota sending unit in it and didn't fix it. Now here's the kicker. If I hook my utility trailer up with weight in it. The guage works perfect. So I just fill it up ever 225 miles. My runner gets crap for fuel mileage with 285/75-16 and 410 gears with a lift so it sucks the fuel down.
Would you say it's safe to say I could go 225 mi then fill up? I'm planning on just going to 200-225 then fill up, considering I don't know how reliable the gauge is.
Old 03-29-2013, 02:07 PM

Update: my dad surprised me and got the fuel gauge issue fixed. When they looked up the VIN it showed it just needed the sender unit done, and that's what did it. It cost just a little over 300 to have it done. Just thought I would let everyone know my experience. Oh, but note that the VIN lookup the shop does is not always completely accurate, but in my case it was.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:26 AM

Thumbs up Thanks for the update, and Congrats !

Update: my dad surprised me and got the fuel gauge issue fixed. When they looked up the VIN it showed it just needed the sender unit done, and that's what did it. It cost just a little over 300 to have it done. Just thought I would let everyone know my experience. Oh, but note that the VIN lookup the shop does is not always completely accurate, but in my case it was.
I'll keep that in mind - we just got back from a road trip to Louisiana, and I filled up at around 3/8 tank with 9.271 or so gallons. So, much like my Cruiser, the gauge is a little pessimistic.

But, not horribly so.

Britt
Old 04-01-2013, 09:25 AM

I'll keep that in mind - we just got back from a road trip to Louisiana, and I filled up at around 3/8 tank with 9.271 or so gallons. So, much like my Cruiser, the gauge is a little pessimistic.

But, not horribly so.

Britt
The total for the sender unit ended up being $350 and some change. For the circuit board, you're looking at about another $200-300 most likely.