Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Front wheel bearing install question

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2012, 06:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front wheel bearing install question, NEED HELP!!

Vehicle: 1996 4Runner Ltd. 4X4, ADD and ABS

Installing a new wheel bearing on passenger front. It took a bit to press out the old hub but we got it, the bearing came out easier. We pressed in the new bearing with a 60 Ton press no problem and the hub in too. Now we're putting the ABS ring in (just drops in, no pressing needed) and the spacer with the tapered side facing away from the bearing. We can't get the spacer to seat with the press, meaning it won't go onto the hub at all. We put a lot of pressure and it won't move. The ABS ring will spin freely and so does the spacer.

We thought the spacer was upside down so we put it with the taper side facing the bearing, it went on to a point then nothing. It won't seat fully either, ABS ring still spins so we pressed it off. While looking at the spacer it seems to have a machined lip on the inside that gets pressed on the hub and we think that's where it's stopping.

I remember when we first pressed out the hub it took a lot of pressure to get it to move but eventually it all came apart no problems. So I'm not sure if we just need more pressure or what. I'm 195 and I had all of my weight on this thing and I couldn't get that spacer to seat at all. I don't have any pics, the spindle is at work. I've read a lot of threads on this and seen pics but nothing of the back side of the hub. All of the pics I've seen are of the bearing in the spindle once the hub is pressed out.

Any thoughts y'all???? The 4Runner is down until we get this fixed.

Last edited by terminator; 08-18-2012 at 06:15 AM.
Old 08-18-2012, 01:01 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Not going by the FSM instructions? Because it clearly states to use a press to install the bearing spacer.
5. INSTALL BEARING SPACER
Using SST and a press, install the bearing spacer.
http://ncttora.com/fsm/1996/SIL/tech...a/fah/reas.pdf

And, I assume by press, they mean one that's capable of applying much more than 195lbs. of force. But, unfortunately, since I've never done it before, I can't tell you which way the spacer should face. Sorry.

Maybe this will help? PNC 43524B/C is the bearing spacer.
Old 08-18-2012, 01:13 PM

Yes, we're using a press. Check the second sentence of the post and it states we're using a 60K press (sorry I put 60 Ton but it's a 60K). I work for a shop and have access to a lot of information and we're second guessing ourselves on this. The tech hasn't installed a wheel bearing on a 4Runner of this generation before, none have actually. I and they have installed bearings on the tapered spindle before and have pressed bearings on but for whatever reason my 4Runner is being difficult. This difficultness is causing the experienced tech to second guess what he's been doing and since I only have minimal experience but lots of access to FSM's, AllData, YT, TTORA, T4R, etc I have read pretty much every bit of info but nobody talks about installing the spacer and how difficult or easy it was. I'm assuming we just need to wait for the BANG and then it will be set but with us not having done this yet we're not positive that's what we're waiting for.

Last edited by terminator; 08-18-2012 at 01:33 PM.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:26 AM

Does anybody know if the spacer that goes on the back of the hub last is supposed to sit flush with the end of the hub shaft or is there supposed to be about a 3/16" difference on where they stop? Meaning the spacer sits higher off the hub shaft and there's about 3/16" to where the hub starts.
I'll have to get pics later, no camera at work.
Thanks
Jason
Old 08-21-2012, 03:46 AM

OK, the spacer doesn't need to fit flush with the hub and the taper side faces out the back of the spindle. That's good news, we have it together correctly. Guess I should have taken a pic prior to taking it apart.

On a less happy note though, I broke a lower ball joint bolt in the spindle while torqueing it down so back apart it comes and we'll see if I can get it out.
Old 08-21-2012, 03:55 AM

what are you talking about a spacer on the hub i have do those a few times and i have never had a spacer to me it sounds like you still have half the bearing on the thing and needs to come off can you send a pic..... its a very common thing that when you press it out the bearing blows apart and you are left with part of the bearing on the hub
Old 08-21-2012, 04:07 AM

Check out the instructions above for a 4WD. From the rear you have the seal, spacer, ABS ring, bearing, snap ring and seal. The bearing goes in through the front, then the hub. Flip the spindle over and the ABS ring drops on, the spacer gets pressed on.

My original question was if the spacer is to sit flush with the hub but it does not. I pulled my driver side to compare last night.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:32 AM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by terminator
I pulled my driver side to compare last night.
I was going to suggest that(in fact, I typed it up yesterday, then changed my mind on submitting it for the reasons I'm about to mention). But I was still hoping that somebody, who actually knew what they were talking about, would eventually give you the correct answer. And I didn't want to insult your intelligence.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:32 AM

It takes a lot to insult me MudHippy! I was at work and was hoping to find an answer before I got home and was forced to pull it. I ended up finding a pic on somebody else's thread but I felt better pulling mine to double check. The pic showed me what I wanted to see, the spacer not having to sit flush. What I was not able to tell was whether or not the tapered side of the spacer had to face inwards or outwards. Pulling the driver side showed me what we thought which is it faces outwards.

Now, I just need to extract the broken bolt in the spindle. You can't order just the bolt from anybody, have to buy the lower balljoint to get them. I was lucky enough that our shop has the "used parts bin" like most of us here have at home. It's full of misc. bolts, nuts, blahbityblah and I found a matching one in the stash. Large savings finding that bolt I must say!!!

One of the PO broke the bolt holding the brake hose/ABS wire bracket on. While the spindles are out I'm going to see if we can extract those too.

Sucks being so close to the finish line with this brake upgrade and not being able to complete it yet.
Old 08-22-2012, 05:51 AM

Got the broken bolt out of the spindle. Stupid me, when it broke I was so PO'ed that I just cleaned up the tools and put the spindle in the trunk. While replacing the UBJ we flipped it over to look at we'd need to do my tech was able to spin it freely. Turns out the head popped off and it wasn't seized in the spindle at all. HELLS YEAH!

Now we're going to go ahead and extract the broken brake hose mounting bracket bolts on each spindle and I should be able to have these on tonight and driving again if the weather holds out.
Old 08-24-2012, 05:21 AM

All back together, need to bleed the brakes and put the wheels on to complete the front. Then on to new shoes on the rear.
Old 12-03-2013, 12:24 PM

I wish this thread had made it clear if the spacer goes bevel side towards bearing or away? I'm having this same dilemma, The shop that did the work(bearing pressing) handed me back the spacers and said I no longer needed them?
Idiots.