Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Front speaker replacment on 2003 4runner (pictures and what i did)

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2003, 12:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front speaker replacment on 2003 4runner (pictures and what i did)

Ok i finished installed my Image Dynamics Chameleon CXS component separates CXS64. The are powered by a Pheonix Gold tantrum 500.2 so there 125+ watts each at 4 ohms. This install took alittle longer then expected but this happened cause the brachets and adapters took some time to make.

Picture below are of the factory speakers you can see the funny looking 6x9 driver and the 1 inch tweeters. Dont ask me hows stupid idea it was to put 6x9's in the front doors.

Below you can see a full picture of the door with the panel taken off. Very easy to do and instructions can be found in the pdfs I made. If you need them just pm me. I would say it took about 5 minutes to take off. Would be even quicker if i had a third hand. One to hold the panel and the other to disconnect the wires. Adapter for speaker was made by making outline of original factory speaker cutting that out of 3/4 mdf, then adding just the oval shape on top of that out of another piece of 3/4 mdf. Then hole for speaker and mounting were made.

Below is a picture of the gromet from the body to the door. very easy to run the wire through. Plenty of room and easily accessable. Just remove two bolts from gromet holding it to door. They pull end of gromet gently out of hole in the door jam. Remore piece of tape unclip and slide clear pastic peiece aside and push wires through. Evertyhgin can be seen in picture. Also were the wire enters the begininng of the gromet.

Last edited by impulsebrklyn; 03-26-2003 at 12:48 PM.
Old 03-26-2003, 12:44 PM

This is a picture of the inside of the front door panel. There are picture of a slight modification that need to be done to the panel as well. There is inch and a half trim for the factory speakers that i found to be in the way so I trimmed it off.

Before

After
Old 03-26-2003, 12:55 PM
Contributing Member

Good Job! Lookin good... now if I had the extra cash I'll be doing the exactly the same thing!!!

Looks like you have a green 4runner? SWEET! cuz i have one too!

Lance
Old 03-26-2003, 01:05 PM

nonono green I have black
Old 03-26-2003, 01:28 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Looks good, but I know that a lot of people wont want to modify their door panels even though that was a minimal mod.

Which poses my question - why not make the second mdf oval the exact same dimensions as the portion of the stock 6x9, so that it would slide into the door panel's sleeve just like the stock 6x9?

btw - the reason they chose 6x9 for upfront is for the enhanced bass production - to the untrained ear, which is most of the populus, 6x9s will sound better. If you dont have a box, there is NO replacement for surface area in the bass department.

The trained ear will pick up the weird arse distortions from 500hz-2000hz inherent to oval designs.

Good job, and I hope you love your sound now!

btw- you did sounddeaden your doors when you had the panels off?

Steve
Old 03-26-2003, 04:17 PM

yeah i know what you are talking about. I would have done what you said but it was much easier this way. Remember im not working with anything factory so trying to get the adapter in the right spot and angle to slide into the door panel would have taken forever. The speakers sound great but im still in install stages. I have no rear speakers and the sub amp wont be here till friday.

No i havent done any sound deadening yet. When i can save up a few hundred more ill be doing that. Not worried about the removal of the panels more then once they only take a few minutes a piece. There very easy. So i just figure Ill do all the sound deadening at once when i get the money. Ive spent alittle to much trying to get everything together at once. Im waiting for my tax refund. a grand in my poor just out of college pocket. Chris
Old 03-26-2003, 04:28 PM

looks good
Old 03-28-2003, 09:00 AM

Looks Great! I want to start a stereo upgrade soon, but I haven't done any stereo upgrades in a newer vehicle with airbags before. Are there any concerns working in those areas with the airbags? I have the side curtain airbags and I am not sure where the sensors and such run and I am a little hesitant at poking around in the wrong area.
Old 03-28-2003, 08:21 PM

Do you know who makes the factory speakers?
Old 03-28-2003, 09:06 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by Doublepump
Looks Great! I want to start a stereo upgrade soon, but I haven't done any stereo upgrades in a newer vehicle with airbags before. Are there any concerns working in those areas with the airbags? I have the side curtain airbags and I am not sure where the sensors and such run and I am a little hesitant at poking around in the wrong area.
Well i know that you dont want to use a test light when you are testing the wires on the newer cars as the test lights have low impeadances and you could set off the airbag... Instead use a DMM (digital multimeter) set to DCV. Also try no to hit or drop anything....lol

Steve
Old 03-29-2003, 12:27 PM

Hahaha, ok, I have a DMM, so I'll try not to hit anything too hard, hahaha
Old 03-29-2003, 05:03 PM

Nice install.

Is there enough clearance between the midbass and the door panel? I mean, if played loud, wouldn't the cone hit the door panel?

Where did you mount the crossovers?

Thanks- Jeff
Old 03-29-2003, 07:01 PM

to a previous question I have no idea what type of speakers the factory ones are, no manufature at all. all i know is the front speakers at 20w rms peak i dont know and the tweeter is 9w.

yeah there is plenty of room for the speaker to move.

I mounted the corssovers in the cargo area, ill have new pictures up sometime this week when i get my second set of infinity speakers for the rear doors and my amp for my sub.

Chris
Old 03-29-2003, 07:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Bumpin' Yota
The trained ear will pick up the weird arse distortions from 500hz-2000hz inherent to oval designs.
I recently discovered that my JGC has 6x9's up front. It too makes some wierd arse distortion in that range. I'm going to live with it for now, I want to trade the Heep for another Runner...
Old 04-09-2003, 03:06 PM
Contributing Member

quick question...

I am looking to do the same thing you did...just a question...how come you just didnt put 6"x9"'s back in the front as replacement? Just out of curiousity...thanks for the help
Old 04-09-2003, 03:15 PM
Contributing Member

Lives4Well:

Originally posted by Bumpin' Yota
Which poses my question - why not make the second mdf oval the exact same dimensions as the portion of the stock 6x9, so that it would slide into the door panel's sleeve just like the stock 6x9?

btw - the reason they chose 6x9 for upfront is for the enhanced bass production - to the untrained ear, which is most of the populus, 6x9s will sound better. If you dont have a box, there is NO replacement for surface area in the bass department.

Hope that answers your question

Lance
Old 04-10-2003, 03:54 AM
Contributing Member

speaker sizes

the component set that you installed, are those 6 3/4" or 6.5" ?

Because i am thinkin about goin with a Kenwood 6 3/4" component system, KFC-P703 for the front doors and 6 3/4" Kenwood KFC-1789ie for the rear door and either the Phoenix Gold T400.4 or T600.4 to power them. How does this sound? Any input is appreciated
Old 04-10-2003, 06:23 AM

I installed 6.5 inch components. You will have many more choices in a 6.5 and all of the high end speakers are 6.5. If i was you I would stay away from kenwood, there alright but you can get much better for the money. Also the KFC-1789ie is a 3-way which will supply less bass then a 2-way. Most people would put a 2-way speaker in the rear, there just fillers and cost less.

For speakers in that price range I think the Infinity Kappa Series are your best bet. I would get the 62.5i for the rear or 63.5i if you wanna spend alittle more for the 3 -way. You can get them at www.thezeb.com for cheap and they are authorized.

For the front look into the infinity or i would look into a set of MB Quarts in that price range, or a set of Mid range Focal speakers like the 165a they have them on ebay for 159. or a set of 165H which i can see for 130 on ebay. I believe there the same just one is a 2002 model and the other is a 2003.

heres a list from www.ikesound.com not authorized but gives a 1 year warranty on everything they sell and they do back it up. I know from experiece. All are 6.5 component

MBQuart DSC 216 129.00
MBQuart DSD 216 135.00

Infinity KAPPA60.5CS $159.00
Infinity Reference 605cs not as good as above but $105.00

Infinity KAPPA62.5I $85.00 6.5 2-way multielement loudspeaker

Chris
Old 04-10-2003, 06:28 AM
Contributing Member

ok cool...thanks a lot for the the info...i will look into either the infinity's or the mb quarts...i appreciate the help

brian
Old 04-10-2003, 06:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good looking install!! Reminds me of when I did mine a few weeks back.

I have the Infinity Reference 605cs speakers and I can't imagine going up to anything better quality because when I crank these up, it sounds so clear that I'm afraid I'm gonna bust my eardrums out or something. But then again, I just have an extended cab truck... not a 4Runner. A 4Runner with a bigger cab space and more room for the sound to go would probably be a better environment for the higher quality speakers. So if I had a 4Runner, I'd definitely fork over a little extra for the Kappa series or maybe even a set of Focals if I had enough in my wallet.

Having just dealt with theZeb.com, they DO have the best prices I've seen, but their customer service is a little shoddy. I placed the order and received an email confirmation about the order and was told that I'd be emailed with a tracking number if one became available. A few days passed and I still hadn't gotten my stuff or received another email. So I contacted them and was told that the amp I ordered was on back-order and that they'd have some in the first of next week. So I waited until that Tuesday, still no email from them. So this time I called them to see if my order had been shipped and if I could get a tracking number. The guy was like "Um, I'm pretty sure your order has been shipped." so I asked for the tracking number and he said "Let me dig around a little and I'll email you if I can find one." 5 hours later I got an email with the tracking number and realized that my order was shipped right after I got off the phone with that guy. Makes me wonder if they ever would have shipped it if I hadn't called them. But I got the stuff and I'm a happy camper now. If you order from them, you'd probably be better off ordering on the phone... and be prepared to haggle them a little to get what you want.
:pat:

Quick Reply: Front speaker replacment on 2003 4runner (pictures and what i did)