Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Front and rear True Trac's. Yeah?

Old 01-10-2007, 06:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front and rear True Trac's. Yeah?

First off, yes i have searched and searched. Probably 43 times. I read pretty much everything there was to read. Read of a few people considering this setup, but never read anywhere that some one actually did it.

98% of my time is spent on the road. Front and rear ARB's, yeah, that would be cool but, there is no way in hell i can justify the cost to myself. Auto locker in the rear? Yeah, thought about it but i would rather not have to deal with the few small issues that are associated with it. I want the truck to drive and handle on the streets as it does now in its stock drivetrain form. I will probably hardly ever have a floating wheel when wheeling so a locker will probably not be needed. I figure that front and rear True Tracs would be pretty sweet. Not expensive either. I need to regear so i figured that while it was all apart, i would do this also. Not worried about the snow/ice driving that always comes up in these discussions either. I have driven vehicles with LSD's in the snow/ice many times and its all good.

Is there any concerns to speak of? Things should only be better right? Right On. TIA.

Colin
Old 01-10-2007, 06:10 PM

Hey i just bought Yukon 4.56 gears and detroit trutracs front and rear also. I havnt had any chance to install but my situation is about the same.
Old 01-10-2007, 06:19 PM

Damnit. Install it all right now and drive around all night and give me a full report in the morning. Haha. Well hopefully someone can chime in and school us and put our minds at ease. Especially yours since you already spent the money on all the parts. Haha.
Old 01-10-2007, 10:00 PM

i considered that setup for my 4runner, and am still considering it for the front at least. i think i queried the board at one point, or just searched 4crawler, or got opinion from someone, that the setup was not bad at all (for the intended purpose).

i did get a warning about the potential for losing traction, if a wheel (or one on each axle) gets hung up in the air, then no power will be delivered to to that (or both) axles. 4crawler pointed out the break pedal maneuver in that situation.

thats about all i have. hopefully 86 Yota will report back after his install and some shakedown...

Last edited by bktaco; 01-10-2007 at 10:01 PM.
Old 01-10-2007, 11:29 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I thought about doing the same thing. BUT, I soon realized that there will come a day when I need true lockers and don't have them. And the last thing I want to do, is buy Tru tracs and then end up wanting more and losing a great deal of money because I didn't just go with ARB's in the first place.

My advice, just save up until you can afford what you really want. Everybody knows they want ARB's. So don't compromise and be patient. I'm still waiting, have been for a couple years now, and will probably continue to do so for at least another 2.

If you do decide to go with tru tracs....try justifiying the cost of upgrading. It will be worse than what you face right now about ARBs
Old 01-11-2007, 12:12 AM
Contributing Member

Since cash is an obstacle and even if is wasn't, i'd personally ARB or e-lock just rear and leave the front open. That will outperform two LSD's anywhere.

If 98% or less of your time is on road, then having a rear selectable locker is hands down the best option.

There are no issues when it's installed correctly.

I used to live right up the street from you and my opinion has nothing to do with ice or snow.
Old 01-11-2007, 05:17 AM

Since cash is an obstacle and even if is wasn't, i'd personally ARB or e-lock just rear and leave the front open. That will outperform two LSD's anywhere.
Well i actually have the money to go ARB's but i think i am also trying to be responsible with my money and convince myself not to do it. Haha.

If 98% or less of your time is on road, then having a rear selectable locker is hands down the best option.
I think that is the best thing i have heard thus far. Right On.

There are no issues when it's installed correctly.
Werd!

I used to live right up the street from you and my opinion has nothing to do with ice or snow.
Did you realy? You from T-town?
Old 01-11-2007, 06:00 AM

I agree with rocket, a rear selectible will out preform the two LSD's...

I have never wheeled a TT, but I have wheeled LSD's, and wont wast my $$ ever again. When I want extra traction, I want it, dont want to have to wait for it, get wheel spin to get it or loose it half way up the hill or over the rock as torque loads/unloads with weight transfers.

I assume this is for your 01... it would be kinda cool to have helical gears at both diffs, and the torsen in the middle.... that would be some AWD traction (provided TT's are as good as they claim)... but off road you would still be better with real lockers... since its an 01, the elocker swap would require a whole axle, not just the center (or do 3rd gens use 8" too??)...

ARB it... you will thank yourself..
Old 01-11-2007, 07:08 AM
Banned

3rd gens have 8 inch rear diffs. you dont really need the whole axle however you would have to make it fit into the housing a little differently that I dont know what it entails.
Old 01-11-2007, 09:37 AM

i've waged this debate with myself and on this board before, and had all the same responses that are posted above. i basically agree with them.

so far the best option that i've come up with for myself is a selectable locker in the rear and a trutrac in the front (wow, how original). this would provide some degree of increased traction (above open differentials) just by engaging the front drive line. in most conditions, i dont think there would be any negative effects. it would also allow for the hyper increase of traction when locking the rear (above a rear locker alone). from my browsing, this setup seems to be pretty popular.
Old 01-11-2007, 03:20 PM

i think i have actually been convinced due to Rocket's response. "If 98% or less of your time is on road, then having a rear selectable locker is hands down the best option."

I'm pretty sure i'm sold. Its gonna be ARB's front and rear for me most likely. We will see here pretty soon, shopping around right now. Right On.
Old 01-11-2007, 04:36 PM

For the Money i would do the TT's front and rear especially in your situation with most of your time spent on road. I have also done extensive research on this and have heard nothing but good reports. The selectable arbs are alot more electronics and stuff hanging around to be torn up. My theory is less computers and wires the more often it's likely to work. Same with electronic activated 4wd. What happens when your solenoid goes out on a trail. happened twice to my friend. You can do what you want to but for me it's gona be TT's front and rear. Less stuff like axles are going to be under bind and extreme prssure with a limited slip differentials. Randy's Ring and pinion will set you up with everything you need. Great customer service too. If you have any more questions you can contact me thanks. Clint
Old 01-11-2007, 06:15 PM

I have a TruTrac in the rear of my 4Runner and I love it. The advantage for me is that it's always there and it's always helping. Everyone needs to weigh out their own needs and decide accordingly. When I'm pulling out of a driveway and into traffic I don't need to push any buttons, I just gas it if I have to. In the rain it's a huge improvement and it definately helps off road. I have a buddy that had one in the front of his FZJ 80 and he could drive right up trees with it. Is it as good as the E-lockers on my 80? No way, but the 80 is specifically for off road. For me the TruTrac is perfect.
Old 01-11-2007, 06:31 PM

We'll im in between once again. Got the quotes from Randy's today and the gearing+TruTracs is 1000 less than the gearing+ARB's. Thats a lot of money for something that i will rarely put to use. But then again, even the TruTracs is a lot of money for something that i could probably do without. Hmmmm. Lets keep this going. I like the input that everyone is putting in. Very helpful.
Old 01-11-2007, 06:47 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by bktaco
so far the best option that i've come up with for myself is a selectable locker in the rear and a trutrac in the front (wow, how original).
I ran that set up for about 2 years. I could keep up with people with hard front lockers, but I had to try harder. I made the switch to an ARB in the front after I broke an axle and couldn't even back up out of the position I was in because all of the torque went to the broken axle side.
Old 01-12-2007, 06:39 PM

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0oGkmC8Ua...rsonal156.html
Check out this Link above for more personal experience with the detroit truetracs front and rear. Has lot's of info and actual trail rating.

Last edited by 86 yota; 01-12-2007 at 06:41 PM.
Old 01-12-2007, 06:57 PM
Contributing Member

I've got TT in the back with just a tug of the Park brake it locks...was watching them work both wheels for traction last weekend.
The TT are an easy install for mechanic something about you don't have to shim them.And there mechanical so no special oil.
I didn't put them up front because where I wheel there is a lot of maneuvering in close proximity to trees and such. I've heard locker up front tend to push steering straight forward when you want to turn...just something to think about
Old 01-12-2007, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by 86 yota
http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0oGkmC8Ua...rsonal156.html
Check out this Link above for more personal experience with the detroit truetracs front and rear. Has lot's of info and actual trail rating.
Hmmm. That was a good read. Good find. Still havent made up my mind. We'll see.
Old 01-12-2007, 11:01 PM

Personally, I'll never run a mechanical type locker in the rear of a street driven vehicle again. It increases tire wear, makes it impossible to be smooth on the throttle around neighborhood corners, and is generally a minor pain.

Super for 4x4, expecially in the rocks... It's an amazing difference.

The 4runner is getting an E-locker in the rear, courtesy of a donor Tacoma. Front may or may not see another lunchbox type mechanical locker...
Course, I spend 95% of my time on a paved road.
Old 01-13-2007, 12:24 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by crackerjack
I've got TT in the back with just a tug of the Park brake it locks...was watching them work both wheels for traction last weekend.
The TT are an easy install for mechanic something about you don't have to shim them.And there mechanical so no special oil.
I didn't put them up front because where I wheel there is a lot of maneuvering in close proximity to trees and such. I've heard locker up front tend to push steering straight forward when you want to turn...just something to think about
Hmm....I thought you had a lockright in the rear. I'm gonna have to ride in your truck at some point.
BTW, we should get a Windrock run together. Feb. would be best for me. I'm going to OK for spring break the first week of march, but I would probably be up for a weekend after that if no other times would work.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Front and rear True Trac's. Yeah?