Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Front headlight shot with BB gun

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2005, 08:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front headlight shot with BB gun

Would any one have any suggestiions on replacing or repairing the front head light glass.
It appears some punks shot it with a BB gun. It is possibe that a rock hit it, but it looks to perfect of a hole for a rock, and it is dead center.

The stealership wants $500 to replace and I was hoping the forum might have better suggestions.

Wayne
Old 02-17-2005, 08:17 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
I once had a Hella H4 headlight that took a rock and punched a clean hole about midway up. After draining the water that got inside and letting it dry for a day or two, I filled the hole w/ a clear silicone, trimmed it flush with a razor blade after it cured and it worked fine for many years after that. Since then, I have always run wire grills over my headlights and have not had another rock chip. They also make a clear plastic overlay that you might also try.
Old 02-17-2005, 08:58 PM
Contributing Member

I;ve got two shots in my passenger headlight lens from a bb gun. I just took some aquarium sealant and squirted it in and around the hole and smoothed it over. been like that for about 5 years now.
Old 02-17-2005, 09:02 PM
AUJWE

I would start calling and searching junk yards if I was you. That or eBay. They are expensive from the stealership as you already know.

Also, do some searching on here, I know that folks who do HID swaps into their 3rd gens usually remove the glass from the headlight housing using an oven to heat it. One Ex. writeup . So the glass itself can be replaced.

BTW, sorry to hear about your headlight. Last week someone stole my PIAA covers. I know it's not as expensive as your problem but same kind of thing.
Old 02-17-2005, 09:04 PM
AUJWE

Originally Posted by keisur
I;ve got two shots in my passenger headlight lens from a bb gun. I just took some aquarium sealant and squirted it in and around the hole and smoothed it over. been like that for about 5 years now.
Man, what the hell? Are you pissing the neighborhood kids off or something? Time to put the smack down J.
Old 02-17-2005, 09:32 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by AUJWE
Man, what the hell? Are you pissing the neighborhood kids off or something? Time to put the smack down J.
It happened my first month in texas, and you know how I feel about the people there. it just comes with the state I guess. punks were sitting in the woods by the ap[artment and when cars pulled out of the gated confines they'd cap the car, got two windshield dings from those bastards too. haha, just got me a new windshield last week though.

PS, and would you believe I leave from Greenville tomorrow, to go back to Houston for good!!!?

Last edited by keisur; 02-17-2005 at 09:33 PM.
Old 02-17-2005, 09:43 PM
AUJWE

It happened my first month in texas, and you know how I feel about the people there. it just comes with the state I guess. punks were sitting in the woods by the ap[artment and when cars pulled out of the gated confines they'd cap the car, got two windshield dings from those bastards too. haha, just got me a new windshield last week though.

PS, and would you believe I leave from Greenville tomorrow, to go back to Houston for good!!!?
Those kids need an ass whooping!

About the Greenville to Texas part, PM sent!

Last edited by AUJWE; 02-17-2005 at 09:46 PM.
Old 02-18-2005, 12:03 PM
Contributing Member

$500.00!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WTF? I had no idea. I like the silicon/aquarium sealant fix idea.
Old 02-18-2005, 12:07 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dang I've always wanted to go to TX someday. Especially Irvin to watch a Cowboys game. My gf and I are thinking of making a round trip after I graduate from Tech in May. We are gonna hit TX, CA, WA, MT, then back here to good ol' South Carolina.
Old 02-18-2005, 12:11 PM
Contributing Member

"begin hijack"
I'm moving to Houston in April!!!
"end hijack"

Last edited by terryjmatthew; 02-18-2005 at 12:15 PM.
Old 02-18-2005, 12:30 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dang I was hoping to 'wheel with you before you left. BTW, was that you that I pulled out in front of this morning? I never got your PM back.
Old 02-18-2005, 01:40 PM

hey guys, i just moved to houston from st.louis and i noticed that drivers here are nuts because they dont have to drive in snow or sleet..probably a few more crazy folks here too...at least no state tax =)
also, you can get a brand new headlight for probably around $160 from toyotaparts4u.com if your looking to get the clear glass headlights instead of the fogged out ones. I am sure they are a direct swap.. good luck
Old 02-20-2005, 08:28 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by uboatcmndr
$500.00!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WTF? I had no idea. I like the silicon/aquarium sealant fix idea.
What? I know there's an online place you can get one for 1/2 or less than that $500. let me look around for the link and I'll post it if I can find it.

sorry for the offtopic...

Originally Posted by Ironmike4x4
Dang I've always wanted to go to TX someday. Especially Irvin to watch a Cowboys game. My gf and I are thinking of making a round trip after I graduate from Tech in May. We are gonna hit TX, CA, WA, MT, then back here to good ol' South Carolina.
give me a call or email when you do and we'll meet up somewhere if you're close to Houston. This goes for you too terryjmatthew.