Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Fog lights in the grill?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 05:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fog lights in the grill?

Has anyone abandon the 3rd gen factory fog lights for another location? I am thinking of some 4 inch round ones in the lower valance on the sides of my license plate, then cover them with some metal mesh for protection.
Anyone else try this with the factory bumper/valance?
Thanks!
Old 03-28-2010, 08:52 AM

I don't know if this helps but I mounted mine to the existing holes in the bumper. I'm sure they would work better if they were mounted lower but this beats the stock headlights any day.

Fog lights in the grill?-4runner-001.jpg

Fog lights in the grill?-4runner-002.jpg
Old 03-28-2010, 09:16 AM

I have them on top of my bumper. Great light output from there. Here's where mine are at:

RDGT4R (from T4R.ORG) put them down by his license plate:

Old 03-28-2010, 09:56 AM

here are mine
Old 03-28-2010, 11:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/99-02...-/130368945285
Old 03-28-2010, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by 02_Limited

RDGT4R (from T4R.ORG) put them down by his license plate:

Thats what I am looking for. Thanks!
Old 03-29-2010, 04:00 AM
Contributing Member

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
Here's my response in a recent, similar thread:

All done - for now. I'll re-install my original harness sometime this week and be able to once again enjoy 200W of proper light.

The pictures below should explain what I came up with. After using these lamps for 2 or 3 years, I just decided to remove them. The original mounting never appealed to me. So they've sat in a box for nearly 4 years.

I have a new gray plastic top trim piece for the bumper, so I had no issue making my old one a bit lighter. My new solution does not rely on the flimsy bumper for support - rather, it attaches to the frame in 5 places. I did some initial placement tacking in place on the truck and all finish welding in my shop. Before painting (Dupli-Color self-etching primer & Dupli-Color High Temp low-gloss black), I cleaned the structure in my bead blasting cabinet. I'm very happy with the solution and look forward to using these again. They're too damn expensive to sit in a box.....

And this is how it looked 4 years ago:

Andreas

Last edited by aowRS; 03-29-2010 at 04:04 AM.
Old 03-29-2010, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by aowRS
Here's my response in a recent, similar thread:

All done - for now. I'll re-install my original harness sometime this week and be able to once again enjoy 200W of proper light.

The pictures below should explain what I came up with. After using these lamps for 2 or 3 years, I just decided to remove them. The original mounting never appealed to me. So they've sat in a box for nearly 4 years.

I have a new gray plastic top trim piece for the bumper, so I had no issue making my old one a bit lighter. My new solution does not rely on the flimsy bumper for support - rather, it attaches to the frame in 5 places. I did some initial placement tacking in place on the truck and all finish welding in my shop. Before painting (Dupli-Color self-etching primer & Dupli-Color High Temp low-gloss black), I cleaned the structure in my bead blasting cabinet. I'm very happy with the solution and look forward to using these again. They're too damn expensive to sit in a box.....

And this is how it looked 4 years ago:

Andreas
Wow.

I want that. That looks freakin' awesome.
Old 03-29-2010, 04:08 PM

Or....

AOWRS and I did this to my '97 with much less hassle than his personal mount. We used two small, thick pieces of bent metal to secure the lights to the radiator frame.

I love the look of the lights down low next to the plate but I have to admit with the lights up on the grill it is really good for cooking the head of the person who cuts you off at night.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/b.../#post51359954
Old 03-29-2010, 04:29 PM

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/0...35/index2.html
cvlighthouse has the best foglight grille setup IMO. I love the stealth look of it
Old 03-29-2010, 05:54 PM
Contributing Member

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by avalonracing
AOWRS and I did this to my '97 with much less hassle than his personal mount. We used two small, thick pieces of cut / bent / re-welded metal to secure the lights to the radiator frame.
Fixed that for you, FHR.

Andreas
Old 03-30-2010, 08:34 AM

I think I am going with the IPF 968 set up down in the lower valance. when I start Ill get some pics up.
Old 04-03-2010, 04:34 PM

Good choice, I love mine in the valance!

Old 04-03-2010, 08:42 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Yota Runner
Good choice, I love mine in the valance!

What are you using to bolt those lights to? I would love to move a pair of mine down low and have them recessed in somewhat. Maybe trade a pair of my 170s for 140s so they fit in better....
Old 04-04-2010, 09:35 AM

Ya, what is a solid mounting point? I am looking under there and not finding alot od places to mount the IPF 968 I'm looking at getting.
Old 04-04-2010, 09:40 AM

This is a nifty idea by blcktpgsr on T4R.ORG

Old 04-04-2010, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by psraff
What are you using to bolt those lights to? I would love to move a pair of mine down low and have them recessed in somewhat. Maybe trade a pair of my 170s for 140s so they fit in better....
There are some factory mouning points on the metal bumper. Mine are mounted on those and I have the valance trimmed perfectly on the bottom to help support them for now. When I have some free time I'll build some bracktets to help beef up that mouning point. As they are now I have no vibrations even when on rutted out washboarded roads! You should have the same points on the bumper but they may be hidden by the different valance on your 99.
Old 04-04-2010, 11:34 AM

I dont suppose you have a decent pic of where you bolted those down do you?
and holy cow! I found the Hella 500 FF kit for half of what the IPF cost! Just need the rock covers and Im good to go.
Old 04-04-2010, 03:01 PM

I snapped some pics for you.

I also wanted to say that the hella 500's (at least mine) are not recomended for mounting upside down. I drilled a couple small moisture drains on the bottom of mine and have never had any problems with them getting moisture and fogging up ever. Oh yeah...100 watt bulbs work nicely too (just upgrade the wireing so you don't burn down your truck!)
Old 04-04-2010, 03:09 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Yota Runner
There are some factory mouning points on the metal bumper. Mine are mounted on those and I have the valance trimmed perfectly on the bottom to help support them for now. When I have some free time I'll build some bracktets to help beef up that mouning point. As they are now I have no vibrations even when on rutted out washboarded roads! You should have the same points on the bumper but they may be hidden by the different valance on your 99.
Thanks.. I'll look harder for some mounting points under mine. I poked around a little bit, but nothing jumped out at me so I didn't look any harder. Running my finger along the edge of the metal bumper only shows about a 1/2" "lip". Not enough to drill and mount to. But looking at your pics you just posted it may get fatter in places like yours.

I've heard complaints about mounting to the bumper (like mine), but I have to say mine are very tight and don't bounce around what so ever. I just thought I was one of the lucky few.

Last edited by psraff; 04-04-2010 at 03:11 PM.

Quick Reply: Fog lights in the grill?