Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Fog lights

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 01:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fog lights

Hi, I'd like to know if my 4runner is "pre-wired" for fog lights, attach are some underside pictures of my 4runner.

Also, I have a set of Hella 700ff wire harness unopened. When I changed my Hella 500, I used the existing 500 wire harness and just switch the fixture to 700ff, so, may I use the 700ff wire harness for the Micro DE fog light if my truck is not "pre-wired" for fog light?

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 10-08-2008, 01:10 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
looks prewired also i dont trust any premade harness that comes with lights i rather make my own it dont cost much
Old 10-08-2008, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Elton
looks prewired also i dont trust any premade harness that comes with lights i rather make my own it dont cost much
Elton,
Please elaborate on how I might be able to do that. I would like to run higher wattage bulbs for my H3 fog lights. Thanks.
Old 10-08-2008, 01:22 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
get your self a spool or two of 12ga wire a standard 30amp relay and a inline fuse holder and some connectors maybe some split loom also that's all you should need

Last edited by Elton; 10-08-2008 at 01:25 PM.
Old 10-08-2008, 02:16 PM
Contributing Member

You are prewired for fog lights, but you do not have a switch. You have a plug for the switch and a plug for each light.

If you up the wattage I would up the wire gauge to be safe. Also make sure the fixtures can handle the higher wattage bulb without melting the housing, etc.

Last edited by nieuwendyk-25; 10-08-2008 at 02:18 PM.
Old 10-08-2008, 02:20 PM

I bought like 5 Toyota OEM switches a while ago, so is that good? Or am I missing a wire/plug for switch?
Old 10-08-2008, 06:51 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by pius222
I bought like 5 Toyota OEM switches a while ago, so is that good? Or am I missing a wire/plug for switch?
I think you just plug the switch in. You take the cover off one of the open spots on to the left of the steering wheel and it should be behind there. I don't think anything else was required, but it has been about 7 years since I installed mine. I bought the Hella kit that Toyota Sells.

By the way if you are putting them in the stock position you need to know something. The OEM lights will fill up with water...and your aftermarket ones might also. It will ruin the bulbs and the inside of the light. Toyota later found that when driving through water, the tires violently spray the back of the fog lights in this position. You have to make a shield to keep them from getting sprayed. It ruined my first set but I got Hella to replace them free. Do a search on here and there is a template you can print out for making the shield. Toyota later included this shield starting with 2002 I think.
Old 10-08-2008, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by Elton
get your self a spool or two of 12ga wire a standard 30amp relay and a inline fuse holder and some connectors maybe some split loom also that's all you should need
Thanks Elton.

Originally Posted by nieuwendyk-25
I think you just plug the switch in. You take the cover off one of the open spots on to the left of the steering wheel and it should be behind there. I don't think anything else was required, but it has been about 7 years since I installed mine. I bought the Hella kit that Toyota Sells.

By the way if you are putting them in the stock position you need to know something. The OEM lights will fill up with water...and your aftermarket ones might also. It will ruin the bulbs and the inside of the light. Toyota later found that when driving through water, the tires violently spray the back of the fog lights in this position. You have to make a shield to keep them from getting sprayed. It ruined my first set but I got Hella to replace them free. Do a search on here and there is a template you can print out for making the shield. Toyota later included this shield starting with 2002 I think.

Doc, I tried teh search but could not find it. Do you remember the thread title because I need to make a shield for the fog light.
Old 10-08-2008, 08:01 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 2000t4rAKS
Thanks Elton.

Doc, I tried teh search but could not find it. Do you remember the thread title because I need to make a shield for the fog light.
I'll find it and post it for you.
Old 10-08-2008, 08:15 PM
Contributing Member

Click here for the template
Old 10-09-2008, 06:32 AM

Thanks man!!!
Old 10-09-2008, 06:44 AM

Wow thanks guys, the template will def help.

I am buying a used set of Micro DE from Rockslide, here are the question that he suggests we ask follow members here

Re: Micro DE
Quote:
Originally Posted by pius222
I am going to post a new thread that'll have pictures of my 4runner's underside where the fog lights go, and hopefully some one or yourself can point out whether my truck is pre-wired or not. Thanks,

Also, I have a set of Hella 700ff wire harness unopened. When I changed my Hella 500, I used the original 500 wire harness and just switch the fixture of 700ff, so, may I use the 700ff wire harness for the Micro DE?

I have a couple of spare Toyota OEM fog light switches I bought a while ago, I can use those for the Micro DE switch.

Thanks
Yep, looks like your 4Runner is prewired . Although, the factory wiring may only be good for 55wt bulbs. In case you want to upgrade to 100wt bulbs, you'd need to install your own wiring harness instead.

Now I can't be 100% sure, but it does sound like your spare wiring harness should work fine. See if anyone post any neg reasons not to use it in your thread.

And yes again, one of your oem fog light switches would make a great on/off switch for them

Also, I cannot remember if the mounting brackets that come with these lights with will work on your 4Runner or not? Post that question in your thread. See what kind of mounting brackets other guys are using.

Again, here's what mine come with (Feel free to use this link in your thread if you need to.):

You're off to a good start!

Later

Rock

The questions are: 1. Does the mounting bracket he has fit my 4Runner? 2. Will the wiring harness from 700ff work if I want to use the 100W bulb he's including.

Last edited by pius222; 10-09-2008 at 06:50 AM.
Old 10-09-2008, 08:14 AM

I read somewhere that you can buy a wiring harness from Hella that is a simple plug and play for the fog lights. If anyone knows the part number, I would much appreciate it.
Old 10-09-2008, 09:54 AM

I ran 100watt bulbs in my OEM fogs with stock harness for years with no problems...
Old 10-09-2008, 10:13 AM

Thanks for the confirmation and I do remember you saying the same thing in another thread awhile ago. You are the expert when it comes to this topic so thanks. The reason for my concern is that I will be on a road trip Sacramento,CA to Colorado during the winter and I will be using the fog lamps during the whole drive. So if I do get a Hella Micro DE fog light kit for my Runner, it should be safe to run 100W bulbs, right?
Old 10-09-2008, 10:28 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by pfdaxe
I ran 100watt bulbs in my OEM fogs with stock harness for years with no problems...
Good to hear. In that case, there's no need to upgrade the harness then.

What did you use to mount your hella de's? As pictured above, I don't see these brackets working on pius222's 4Runner.
Old 10-09-2008, 11:13 AM

I'm also thinking about installing the Micro DE's on my 4runner. This is a very informative thread. I was thinking about buying from Yellow and Blue Lighting.

In their online description, it looks like the correct brackets and Toyota switch and are included, and the vehicle should already have the wiring harness and relay. Will I need anything else? Thanks.

http://www.yellowandbluelighting.com...3/Default.aspx
Old 10-09-2008, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by Mtn Mike
I'm also thinking about installing the Micro DE's on my 4runner. This is a very informative thread. I was thinking about buying from Yellow and Blue Lighting.

In their online description, it looks like the correct brackets and Toyota switch and are included, and the vehicle should already have the wiring harness and relay. Will I need anything else? Thanks.

http://www.yellowandbluelighting.com...3/Default.aspx
That's all you should need. That's the same kit I used as the brackets were vehicle specific. I added HIDs to mine so I just had to splice the ballasts into the OEM harness as noted in the posted thread.
Old 10-09-2008, 11:20 AM

Here's how I did my rear ones, would be much the same putting in the front:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f131...floods-144984/
Old 10-15-2008, 07:14 AM

I installed the micro de kit from yellowandbluelighting as well. My SR5 was prewired, I just had to mount the lights to the brackets, the brackets to the truck, install the relay, and tap two wires with the excellent instructions and install the switch. The kit is very high quality.

Quick Reply: Fog lights