Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Flywheel and clutch upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2005, 11:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Flywheel and clutch upgrades

Hello all,

I have not been here in awhile but I am glad you are all still here. I have a 99 4Runner SR5 5 Speed Manual trans. The truck has been nothing but a total nightmare from the moment I bought it. I will not go into the boring details. However, I still love the truck and can not see myself driving anything else.

So here is my problem, The stealership states I need to have the flywheel resurfaced or machined. I get a chatter when I start from a stop in 1st gear. Sometimes it is soo bad that the truck lurges and bucks until i put in the clutch and release it. The clutch was done last year becuase the trans was replaced. I figured they were there and I might as well replace it because it had like 85K miles on it . So I refuse to allow the inept service people at Middletown Toyota to service the truck anymore. So my question is Can someone give suggestions about brands of clutches and flywheels? Also I am thinking about putting a heavier flywheel in and a heavy duty clutch.

Thanks in advance.

Jim

BTW, the truck just turned 96K.
Old 08-11-2005, 11:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Every time you replace your clutch you need to machine the flywheel due to glazing and heat spots. If you don't you end up with a slick surface and that cuases your new clutch to chatter (it doesn't grab nicely). Also when replacing the clutch you need to replace the pressure plate to ensure that there is sufficient spring to allow the clutch to grab. Was all this done???

Putting in a heavier flywheel will kill some of your power and fuel economy. Some people with bigger tires are putting in lighter flywheels to regain some of the lost power from the extra weight of the large tires.
Old 08-11-2005, 11:31 AM

I know they did not macine the flywheel. They told me that yesterday. I think the preasure plate was done but not 100% positive, maybe 90% sure.

I thought putting a heavier one would give you better bottom end and hi-way mileage. I quess a lgihter one is the answer?

Thanks for the quick reply.
Old 08-11-2005, 11:52 AM
Contributing Member

I just replaced my clutch, and got my flywheel machined. My starts are REALLY smooth, and shifting is perfect, the clutch grabs really well too. I used an OEM clutch, i was going to use a centerforce dual friction, but it was WAY expensive (over $400)... i found an OEM clutch for $250. From what i've read the centerforce dual friction is nice for not slipping, but that can be a bad thing, when you clutch doesn't slip, that torque and power has to go somewhere... ending up with stuff behind the tranny being broken.

I've also heard the ACT 6 Puck can hold it's own. Although, I really recommend the OEM clutch... it lasts a long time, and mine grabs REALLY well; apart from doing heavy offroading or racing it's totally sufficent and it will save you some cash too. The guy i know with the ACT 6 puck is supercharged though... so it might be overkill for your application.

As for a heavy flywheel, like the other guys said, kills gas mileage and acceloration... but you can get more torque.
Old 08-11-2005, 12:37 PM

I am wondering how big of a job it would be to do the work myself. Has anyone done the work themselves? I consider myself pretty handy, just finished putting a BMW r100 back together.
Old 08-11-2005, 01:36 PM

the hardest part is getting the bolts for the bellhousing out (the top ones are close to the fire wall) You will need to support the gearbox well so it doesn't drop but the job isn't too bad.
Old 08-11-2005, 01:55 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by lzyellodog
I am wondering how big of a job it would be to do the work myself. Has anyone done the work themselves? I consider myself pretty handy, just finished putting a BMW r100 back together.

Me and my buddy did it ourselves. He was the handy one, i was the one helping. Anwyays... if you do do it yourself, make sure you have a transmission jack, makes the job a LOT easier. If you have a hydrolic lift or a pit, i'm sure that WOULD have made it easier (mine was on jackstands)... Make sure you have loctite for putting the flywheel back on (blue works fine), RTV sealant, if you take the transfer case off, and some high temp grease to lube the throwout bearing. Also, is your 4runner 2WD or 4WD... because the 4WD tranny has the transfer case on the back end, which makes it slightly more difficult.

To give you an idea of what has to be done... you have to remove the driveshaft(s), take out the shift levers. and take off the wiring harnesses from the transmission (the part that sounds easy, but actually ends up being one of the hardest jobs). Also when putting it back together, MAKE SURE YOU DONT MIX UP THE 4HI AND 4LO harness... they are the same, and are interchangeable... that made for some pain in the ass troubleshooting after finishing the clutch. Last getting to some of the transmission to engine bolts is a pain, but it's do-able.

Get a clutch kit and replace the throwout bearing, clutch plate, pressure plate, and pilot bearing. DEFINITLY resurface your flywheel, i bought my clutch from carquest, and because of that the local guys did my flywheel for free (nice guys).

All in all, it took us two nights, first taking it apart, and taking the flywheel off... after it was resurfaced, putting it back together the next night. Took us about 8 to 10 hours total.

I have to say i don't know how experienced you are, but there was a few times i was frusturated and felt like i was in over my head.... but it was all worth it in the end, and everything works GREAT (good to know how it's done, and the satisfaction of knowing it's done right)

here is a site which tells you what it takes to do it, and some instructions.... if you have a repair manual, that's helpful also... plus you can get torque specifications (although, just post here and i'm sure everyone woudl be happy to tell you what torque specifications you need)

http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/4Runne...enance/clutch/
Old 08-11-2005, 05:52 PM
Contributing Member

I had my flywheel resurfaced and I went with a Marlin Clutch kit. I'm very happy so far.

A heavier flywheel will help with low end torque for towing and offroading, but it will hurt everywhere else. Nobody makes a heavier flywheel for the 3.4 anyway-I looked very hard for one when I replaced my clutch.