Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Flowmaster or Vortex Cherry Bomb

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2005, 09:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Flowmaster or Vortex Cherry Bomb

I apologize cause I know this topic is repeated on here over and over again, but I searched and never found a comparison of these two, I just want a flat out opinion if the Flowmaster 40 series or the maremount vortex cherry bomb muffler (not glasspack) would be a better choice if I want a combination of deep and loud? I would do a poll, but I am somewhat new and don't know how to do that. Thank you very much.

Last edited by CO4Runner99; 12-01-2005 at 09:08 AM.
Old 12-01-2005, 09:14 AM
Contributing Member

um this one compares them exactly

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...tex+Flowmaster
another
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...tex+Flowmaster
another
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...25&postcount=2
Old 12-01-2005, 11:37 AM
Contributing Member

I did weeks and weeks of research and decided on the Vortex from Jason B., completely 110% satisifed with it.

Nice throaty tone, not TOO loud, no high pitched coffee-can sound, not ricey.

It can be a little loud to some people, after driving it for about a week or so you'll get used to it and learn to love it. I love the sound of it, it's a lotta fun to drive through a University lot and punch it and just listen for all the alarms to start blarin (mostly ricers, never do it to a fellow 4Runner).

I am very happy with my Vortex however it's ALL personal preference, neither the Vortex or a Flowmaster will give you more of a power increase, neither one will prolong the life of the engine, neither one will do anything more than the other except sound different and that is definitely something that is a personal preference. Jason B. has some good sound clips/vids on his site.

http://get.to/jason

About a third of the way down there's a list of them, this gives you a good idea of what it will sound like...Corey's site is awesome too.

Good luck in your decision, if you decide to go Vortex and have a Meineke nearby go that route, if you don't have one nearby definitely order it from Jason B. (www.burtmanindustries.com)

Fink

Last edited by Fink; 12-01-2005 at 11:39 AM.
Old 12-01-2005, 12:30 PM

I have a Vortex right now, but I'm considering changing it to a Flowmaster 40.... Any ideas? I just have never heard a flowmaster 40 on the 3.4. I've heard it on big V8's but I want a loud throaty sound, maybe a lil more growl than my vortex. Sometimes I feel like it's a big farty sound which i'm not a fan of.
Old 03-05-2010, 11:40 PM

My neighbor worked on Thermal Dynamics in the Apollo Program. He and I actually designed a muffler together. So as to not sound like I am cheerleading my company I will recommend another, but just so you know flow through is always the best way to muffle an engine. The oem's do the multi pass multi chamber mufflers because the easiest cheapest way to make the quietest exhaust is to restrict the system. That's why the manifolds on most vehicles are so wheezy. You quiet a system 15-20 DB with wheezy manifolds and 'y' pipe. Then make the sound almost nothing with a multi pass chambered 'wall' muffler.

The other baffle chamber style V mufflers are slightly better than stock at the low end of the rpm band, but up top, it's almost the same. When you put a wall in the way of the exhaust stream it backs it up the entire system creating backpressure. This backpressure actually gets worse and worse as the rpm's increase.

A flow through muffler with perforated core is the only way to go. Not louvered, perforated. At low rpm's the exhaust travels down the tubing in pulses. When it hist the perforations in the core of the muffler, the pulse expands into the muffler canister, at which point most of the sound is absorbed into the canister. An added benefit to this expansion is that the exhaust slows down when it enters the canister, effectively 'putting on the brakes' at low rpm. Once the rpm increases the pulses turn into a steady stream and the pressure in the canister remains constant. When the pressure in the canister is the same as the pressure in the exhaust tubing, you have a flow through muffler. As you can see 2 mufflers in one. Here is a more detailed write up on the subject.

Cheapest isn't always the best in the case of mufflers. I've used PepBoys stock mufflers=3Aracing, Magnaflow, Flowmaster, Borla, no name glass muffs, Spintec. All on the same vehicle! The Borla and Magnaflow both made similar power and were superior to the others. For a little more you get a muffler which will give you more power, for sure!, good sound just comes along with it.
Old 03-06-2010, 08:55 AM

Received 101 Likes on 79 Posts
way to bump a 5 year old post. both mufflers suck. go borla or magnaflow... 'nuff said.