Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Flex-A-Lite Fan Owners!!! POST REPLIES!

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2004, 06:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Flex-A-Lite Fan Owners!!! POST REPLIES!

I am considering adding the FLX-210 fans to my 2002 Tacoma. What I want to know is, are you out there that have done this modification happy with the results and has it been relatively trouble free?
Thanks
Old 07-12-2004, 06:49 PM

i installed the same unit on my 2.7L. like everyone else, no dyno proof. but i did feel a small increase in throttle response, a bit more torque at highway speeds (probably all rpms), easier starts, and runs quieter. milage increase not noticable, probably because any extra efficiency is being applied to power.

worth $220? maybe. for my 2.7, all the little ponies help out. from your sig, i imagine you'll get your $ worth just in tooling time.

what about your airraid? fact or fiction?
Old 07-12-2004, 07:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a 165 on my 3.0 and it has been trouble free. I installed it about a year ago.
Old 07-12-2004, 07:30 PM
Contributing Member

I also have the 165. Rig overheated once when it failed to come on . Turns out my ground had corroded. Other than that it's been great.
Old 07-12-2004, 10:47 PM

Just installed the 210 on my taco this weekend.. It doesnt fit 100% and it causes the truck to vibrate a LOT at idle. Not sure how to fix it
Old 07-13-2004, 12:38 AM
Contributing Member

Happy customer here. No complaints. Solder all your connections like me and forget about them.
Old 07-13-2004, 04:17 AM

Originally Posted by <96 Runner>
Happy customer here. No complaints. Solder all your connections like me and forget about them.

What do you guys use to turn the fan on? Do you have a link to where I can get the fan from?
Old 07-13-2004, 04:29 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking Write-up

Got a write-up or some pics of what you did? I'm going to check the tech section now...

Old 07-13-2004, 04:48 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
Got a write-up or some pics of what you did? I'm going to check the tech section now...

This guy has a pretty good write-up. I have done the install 3 times now, so let me know if you have any additional questions. Flex-a-lite is also very helpful. I called them a couple times about wiring and they were really cool, which is a nice piece of mind these days.
Old 07-13-2004, 05:31 AM
Contributing Member

I second that Flex-a-lite is very helpful. The thermostat crapped out on mine so I emailed them asking where I could buy a new one. They asked me for my address and 3 days later I got a new part in the mail, free. That's my favorite price.

I noticed a gain in performance on my 22re application by the way.
Old 07-13-2004, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by bktaco
worth $220? maybe. for my 2.7, all the little ponies help out. from your sig, i imagine you'll get your $ worth just in tooling time.

what about your airraid? fact or fiction?
I enjoy tooling on stuff but when it comes to critical parts like the cooling system I want to make sure a $220 fan will last.

As for the airraid...I would say it was worth the investment. Huge increases, no, but it did smooth out the powerband and I noticed a more responsive throttle.
Old 07-13-2004, 07:12 AM

This guy has a pretty good write-up. I have done the install 3 times now, so let me know if you have any additional questions. Flex-a-lite is also very helpful. I called them a couple times about wiring and they were really cool, which is a nice piece of mind these days.
I have seen his write-up a couple of times and actually have it saved for when/if I decide to do this mod. Are the gains noticeable? Any added fuel savings or do I have to buy a bigger alternator too?
Old 07-13-2004, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by nags
Just installed the 210 on my taco this weekend.. It doesnt fit 100% and it causes the truck to vibrate a LOT at idle. Not sure how to fix it
yeah mine vibrates a bit too. i think its because there are two fans, and they are creating a harmonic vibration together. had me thinking about the black magic single fan at one point, or the flex fan.

but i turned the thermostat way up, and the fan almost *never* comes on (ambient is in the mid 90's in Reno lately), more importantly the temperature gage almost never deflected from its typical reading. i dont know about the rest of toyota engines, but the 2.7 evidently doesnt need much forced cooling..?!
Old 07-13-2004, 07:29 AM

Anyone else having vibration issues?
Old 07-13-2004, 08:10 AM
Contributing Member

I have a little review here:

http://www.haveblueonline.com/engine/cooling.htm

I'm still pleased with the results. Only overheated once but that was due to my own lousy connection.
Old 07-13-2004, 08:31 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by steelhead
I have seen his write-up a couple of times and actually have it saved for when/if I decide to do this mod. Are the gains noticeable? Any added fuel savings or do I have to buy a bigger alternator too?
No, a bigger ALT is not needed. Performance gains were as mentioned; a bit more throttle response, and a little more HP at initial tip in. For some reason I noticed the most difference in 5th gear when I go partial throttle to get around someone on the freeway. The engine just seems slightly stronger at low RPM’s. I believe the small gain is due to the removal of the bracket to the stock fan. Whether the stock fan is engaged or not, this part is always spinning. So, you are removing some parasitic drag no matter how you look at it.

I agree with the post above about the two fans reaching a resonance. I personally do not find this annoying – but it does have a slight vibration that can be felt in the floor. Most passengers don’t even notice it.

I have a switch rigged to my AC compressor clutch wire so I can kick the fans off if the vehicle is in motion. This prevents the fans from running while on the freeway with the AC on. Even with this mod, the thermo-switch is always monitoring the coolant temp. So, if the temp gets too high, the fans will kick on even if the AC mod switch is off.

I did not notice any significant gains in MPG.
Old 07-13-2004, 09:20 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I ditto what Christian said... I have a -210 on my 3.4L and it's great.

The only issue I've had happened after repeatedly dunking the thermostat control box in the mud. The net result was that the fan wouldn't come on and I had to spend some time on the trail hot-wiring the fan to my fog light circuit for manual control.

One I got home, I pulled the box, washed it out, dried it done good, _soldered_ all the connections this time, and remounted it up higher. It fired right up and hasn't been a problem since.

I got mine from Summit Racing. Whoever you get it from, know that Flex-a-lite makes the fan in Blue, Yellow, Red and Black. Some dealers don't stock all colors, but they should be able to order anything you want.
Old 07-13-2004, 05:29 PM

the vibrations are killing me! Just took some pics though

Old 07-14-2004, 08:29 AM

Thanks for all the posts.

NAGS - Have you figured out what the vibrations issue is? Have you contacted flex-a-lite and explained the problem? I am seriously considering doing this but don't like the idea of an annoying vibration.
Old 07-14-2004, 08:32 AM

I believe the fans are not balanced for some reason. I emailed them and have yet to recieve a reply

Quick Reply: Flex-A-Lite Fan Owners!!! POST REPLIES!