Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

flex-a-lite fan

Old 03-22-2003, 03:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
flex-a-lite fan

i just installed flex-a-lite fans, in stead of using thermo blub that goes into lower radiator hose, has any one installed painless wiring electric fan relay that feature a thermostat that screws into the engine block or manifold, i have this kit, i tried to install thermostat into engine block drain plug, but wont fit, thermostat has 3/8" thread i think, and comes with 1/2" bushing. but engine drain plug is 1/4" i think ? is there any other place to install this that i am missing ? :pat:
Old 03-22-2003, 03:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hi;

I can't help you with your direct question, but I'm interested in why you didn't want to use the bulb and thermostat method. It works great for all the installs that I've heard of - including my own.
Old 03-22-2003, 04:10 PM

i am using the thermo blub in the lower radiator hose, but i could not get a good seal, it kept on dripping, i did not want to over tighten and cause plastic nipple to break, i removed thermo blub and place blub in metal elbow leading to thermostat in lower hose, so far so good, i tighten down on clamp, and no leaks. i think am better off with the adjustable thermostat, the painless kit is non adjustable, 185degree on /170degree off and no a/c relay:pig:
Old 03-22-2003, 04:44 PM

Ahhh... I understand now..

Two things... 1) It sounds like you have a different kit than what I know of. The one I'm familiar with comes with an adjustable thermostat. then 2), it sounds like you got frustrated with the semi-common of getting the hose to leak.

I know two ways of dealing with the leaking, and it looks like you found a third. Two people I know ended up using a pair of screw-type clamps on the lower hose and that seemed to seal things up. Another way is to _not_ insert the bulb into the hose at all, but instead just stick it between the fins of the radiator. I know of three people running this way (it's what I ended up doing as well) and it works fine.

But, the real issue sounds like you didn't get an adjustable thermostat with the FLX kit. So, I'll bail out of this conversation now with wishes of good luck in getting your other thermo setup.

Thank you for the background on your troubles.

Good luck!
Old 03-22-2003, 05:36 PM

mark, i do have the ajustable thermostat that came with the fan,12" dual fan# flx-210. when you place thermo blub thru the fins out side of radiator, where did you locate it, near the top of radiator ? bottom ? middle? and what position is the thermostat set at ? normal-or plus or neg. if mine start to leak agin i will try the out side install. thanks mark. Eddie
Old 03-22-2003, 06:29 PM

Sorry for the confusion.

I went with the thought of since the Toyota's feed the radiator from the bottom (that's why we're aiming for the lower hose), then I'd put the bulb down at the bottom by the lower inlet.

That'll make the control box interesting to mount because the length of the brass coil, mine ended up on a frame member. I have a pic up on a page where I talk about my install:

http://www.midiwall.com/4Runner/flx210.html

- Mark
Old 03-24-2003, 02:02 PM

I just have a quick question, is it required to install a new thermostat after installing a flex-a-lite? I wanted to install one on my truck, but I am not too good with working on an engine, don't have the knowledge or someone to help me. Also, when you guys installed your flex-a-lites, did you notice improvement in power, and did you use the clutch that came with the original fan? Thanks.
Old 03-24-2003, 02:29 PM
Contributing Member

Go with the temp sensor in the lower radiator hose, and two hose clamps. Make sure you mount the control box close enough that it will reach.

No, you dont need a new thermostat when installing the fans.
Old 03-24-2003, 04:12 PM

Originally posted by Plays_with_Toys
I just have a quick question, is it required to install a new thermostat after installing a flex-a-lite? I wanted to install one on my truck, but I am not too good with working on an engine, don't have the knowledge or someone to help me. Also, when you guys installed your flex-a-lites, did you notice improvement in power, and did you use the clutch that came with the original fan? Thanks.
Flex-a-lite makes a fan (model 165) that bolts right in to your truck. It replaces the stock fan and clutch. The thermostat is built in w/ the fan. I really didn't feel any difference in power when I installed mine but I'm sure it provides a couple ponies.
Old 03-24-2003, 04:19 PM

96_runner hit most of your questions, but to add a couple of things:

- I didn't so much notice more power as I did torque. in the bottom end and a overall bettee throttle response. This comes from dropping about 10 pounds off of the front of the engine, along with the drag from having to pull the blades through the air.

- I'm confused about you asking if you should use the clutch from the original fan. When you pull the 4 bolts to get the fan off, you're actually removing the clutch along with the fan. There's no need for the original clutch.

- BE PREPARED with some washers for the bolts where the clutch originally attached. Those "bolts" are actually studs and the original nuts will NOT take up all the slack once the clutch is off. You'll need to shim each bolt with a couple of washers.

I have some other words that may help on a web page I put up about my install:

http://www.midiwall.com/4Runner/flx210.html

Over all, it's not that hard to do. Just take your time, and think about what you're doing. You might want to spend soem time mentally walking through all the steps before you actually do them. That can save you from being in a position where you have the old fan off and forget that you need washers to get the belt pulley back on. If you forget, and you only have one car, then you'll have to put the old fan back on in order to get to the store to get some. "oops".

Good luck!