Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Flashing Overdrive Light

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2003, 03:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flashing Overdrive Light

HI THERE, I JUST PURCHASED A 1998 TOYOTA HILUX SURF 3000cc TURBO WITH INTERCOOLER FROM A JAPAN USED CAR DEALER AN THE OD/OFF LIGHT FLASHES WHEN IN OVERDRIVE POSITION BUT RUNS FINE IN OVERDRIVE.WHEN OD IS IN OFF POSITION IT DOWN GRADES TO LOW GEAR. IS THIS NORMAL? CAN ANYONE PLEASE ADVISE ME. ALSO OWNERS MANUAL IS IN JAPANESE AND I CANT READ IT ,IS THERE ANY WHERE I CAN OBTAIN ONE.
Old 03-05-2003, 09:35 AM
Contributing Member

Hey there! Welcome to the forum! Great place here.

According to my manual, if the overdrive light starts to flash you most likely have tranny problems and should get to the dealership immediately. My O/D off light sometimes will start flashing when I've been on the road for a while and the tranny starts to get warm (I guess that why). My lock-out (or whatever that's called) would start popping in and out. It'll last for about 3 or 4 minutes and everything would be fine for another hour or so. It'll also flash sometimes when I've been doing stuff around town. When it does flash, my tranny won't go into first. (very slow acceleration, obviously ) Both these problems have been going on for the past year and half and I just live with it. Doesn't happen enough for me to spend lots of $$ to fix it.

Anyhow, what I'm saying is you may want to take it to the dealer or tranny shop to have it looked at. Or, you could just drive it around till it'll conk out like I do (probably not a good suggestion ).

When you say it'll go into a low gear when O/D is off, do you mean like 1st or 2nd? Or did you mean lower like 3rd? When your O/D is off, your truck will run in 3rd gear. You probably know that.

Have you checked the tranny fluid?

As far as the manual is concerned, you may just want to get a Haynes or Chiltons (sp?) manual. Around here you can get these at just about any parts store or library. Not sure about where you are at though. Otherwise, A dealer may have the regular manual in English. I dunno about that.

Please note that these are my experiences with my 2nd gen 4Runner. I don't know if light means the same thing for the 3rd gen, but mostly likely it does.

Well, sorry for such a long post. Again, welcome.
Have fun.
DH6twinotter

BTW, it make it a bit easier for us folk to read if you don't use all CAPS.
Old 03-05-2003, 09:45 AM
Contributing Member

I forgot to mention something. Yoda (a member here) is selling a bunch of Toyota manuals on Ebay. Here's a link to his post here on Yotatech:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...&threadid=6430

Not sure how close the 4Runners are to the Hilux Surfs, but may be something worth looking into.

Have fun.
DH6twinotter
Old 03-05-2003, 10:52 AM
Contributing Member

I cant read in all caps...
Old 03-05-2003, 05:23 PM

Flashing over/drive light.

Hi there, thanks for your reply, but some how it seem to be some kind of electrical problem. Overdrive light comes on or flashes when i am into five minutes of driving but like i said transmission works fine and if i were to put the overdrive off it down grades into third gear there the light stays on.Also if i were to park or switch the engine off for two minutes and the start up again it stays off but five minutes into the driving it start to flash intermitantly. Vehicle also carries a tempreture warning light for transmission , but has never come on only when in ignition mode.I cant say if it is a sirious problem or not because the owners manual is in japanese writing.I shure like some more info on this matter.
Old 03-07-2003, 06:53 AM
Contributing Member

Re: Flashing over/drive light.

Originally posted by BIGGAPPLE
Hi there, thanks for your reply, but some how it seem to be some kind of electrical problem. Overdrive light comes on or flashes when i am into five minutes of driving but like i said transmission works fine and if i were to put the overdrive off it down grades into third gear there the light stays on.Also if i were to park or switch the engine off for two minutes and the start up again it stays off but five minutes into the driving it start to flash intermitantly. Vehicle also carries a tempreture warning light for transmission , but has never come on only when in ignition mode.I cant say if it is a sirious problem or not because the owners manual is in japanese writing.I shure like some more info on this matter.
Mine would do that sometimes too. My tranny temp light has never come on either (do 2nd gens have one?) Is it still under warrantee? Is there a toy dealer out in the Caribbean? (I wouldn’t mind working there if there was ) I would take it into the dealer and have them look at it. I dunno.

Well, hope you get it figured out. Have fun.
DH6twinotter