Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Flared Fiberglass Fender Questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2005, 01:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flared Fiberglass Fender Questions

I was in the tire shop this morning getting some new meats (31x10.5 Yokohama AT's) The guy in the shop had some some baja type fiberglass front fenders that flared out about 3" and significantly increased the size of the wheel opening. They looked pretty cool. He said that he bought them for his 2wd 93 Pickup, but then he went and bought a Tundra so he doesn't need them. He paid $300+ and was going to sell them to me for $50. They seemed sturdy enough, brand new in the box, and they looked like a direct replacement for the front fenders. Actually I'm pretty sure this http://glassworksunlimited.com/gu01.shtml Is them.

So here's My questions:

Is this something I should jump on? Would they look stupid without the complimenting rear bed flares. Is the difference between 2wd and 4wd fenders big enough to make that a deal killer?
I guess worst case, I could give his info to someone with a 2wd third gen here that wants them.
They look big enough to probably mount 33's with no lift.
Old 01-28-2005, 04:14 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They're usually use on Toys with increased suspension travel kits installed on them. I think I've seen them at Downey Offroad, Northwest Offroad and Total Chaos. I hate fiberglass, but that's just me. The added suspension travel would be great though. It's your vehicle. Check out those sites and maybe they'll have some pics to give you a better idea.
Old 01-28-2005, 04:58 PM

Right now I run the front glass without the rear. It doesn't look to bad in my opinion. I do plan to glass the rear, though. That's a killer price. I would do it.
Old 01-28-2005, 04:59 PM

oh yeah, make sure he didn't screw them up trying to put them on his rig. If you see alot of screww holes or ripped glass...that's a telltale sign. But if they are fresh.....get em. You can always sell them to someone else for a 100.00
Old 01-28-2005, 05:30 PM

Location: 100 miles offshore as much as possible, & Springfield Oregon USA
I love fiberglass. You can fix it easily if you damage it, you can reshape it if you like, etc... What's not to like?
Old 01-28-2005, 06:44 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Flamedx4
I love fiberglass. You can fix it easily if you damage it, you can reshape it if you like, etc... What's not to like?
I can't explain it...just prefer sheet metal. Unless, of course, we're talkin' about a 'Vette.
Old 01-28-2005, 08:01 PM

Yeah, I'll probably grab em tomorrow. These things are brand spanking new in the box, no holes whatsoever. I found the catch though. I'm pretty sure they are 2wd fenders... why does that matter you ask? The 4wd grill, headlights, and corner lamps are shaped differently on the 2wd and 4wd models, so where the corner lamps hook in, the shape of the hole in the fender is different. To make them work on a 4wd I'd probably have to find a 2wd parts car and pull the grill, headlamps, and corner lamps and do a full exchange but you are right, it might be a good way to ebay myself a few dollars closer to an aussie locker or a rear bumper!
Old 03-15-2005, 05:09 AM

Thumbs up Fenders Installed

Just an update.
I picked up the fenders and installed them on my truck. I found a 2wd at the local u-pull it yard and yanked the grille and the corner lamps. It was a pretty easy install. The only problems I ran into were 1-that my ARB makes it nearly impossible to take of the grille, and 2-I had to rescribe and cut the fenders where they meet the door so it would open and shut, God bless Dremel.
Anyway, I like them a lot, It just makes me wish I had gone with 33's rather than 31's, oh well.
To get the rear to match up somewhat I'm considering doing a Yota version of this trick http://www.prerunners.net/tipofthemonth/tip3.asp I know the Yota fender supports are waay different (read "sturdier/ better") than the Ranger ones in the writeup but It's an interesting base. I think that, plus some better springs yeilding about 1.5 - 2" of rear lift and I'll be set.

I'll post some before and after pics here soon.