Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

fixed high idle now ac clutch wont engage

Old 07-04-2012, 06:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fixed high idle now ac clutch wont engage

I had a high idle a while back I replaced iac and tps then had to adjust stop screw to get the idle to 800.currently the ac clutch won't engage at idle only if I hit the gas or if I am cruising over 1500.if any 1 has and ideas what is going on id greatly appreciate it thanks
Old 07-05-2012, 07:20 AM

Any suggestions?
Old 07-07-2012, 11:59 AM

Can't figure it out,going to stealership tuesday ,trying to prepare my wallet to be raped lol
Old 07-08-2012, 06:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by KenC
Can't figure it out,going to stealership tuesday ,trying to prepare my wallet to be raped lol
The computer is supposed to bump up the idle when the AC is turned on. Is that happening when you hit the AC button? If not, then perhaps something was not re-connected when you did the work on the throttle body.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:28 AM

I triple checked all connections and they were fine,it does not idle up when ac button is hit and ac clutch does not engage.I got a appointment with the stealership today this is the 1st time I have ever taken a vehicle somewhere to be fixed and I am ashamed.I just don't have the time to keep screwing with it and I'm not making any progress so when its fixed ill post up the solution that way if any 1 else has this issue they will have a idea what to look for.when I bought the truck the cruise control light was blinking and I removed the bulb but I don't think the ac ever worked properly since I bought the truck appr. 6 months ago
Old 07-10-2012, 02:39 PM

Update dealer has no idea what's going on tried to get me to buy a tps cause it "might" fix it and I said I didn't want to through parts at it. I already replaced tps with a non oe unit with no change.tech told me he thinks it is the ac amplifier but that there is a series of tests and I would have a bunch of $ tied up in diagnostic fees with no garantee that they would find problem.they spent 2 hours and charged me for 1 but I still don't know what's wrong.if I unplug tps ac clutch kicks on
Old 07-10-2012, 02:51 PM

If any 1 lives near frackville pa and has a 2001 tacoma and is willing to let me swap their ac amplifier in my truck to see if that's the issue ill pay some $ just let me know thanks
Old 07-10-2012, 08:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine has a dashpot on the throttle body that I think is supposed to do the idle-up. Does yours have it? If so, check the vacuum line going to it.
Old 07-11-2012, 02:06 AM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by KenC
Update dealer has no idea what's going on tried to get me to buy a tps cause it "might" fix it and I said I didn't want to through parts at it. I already replaced tps with a non oe unit with no change.tech told me he thinks it is the ac amplifier but that there is a series of tests and I would have a bunch of $ tied up in diagnostic fees with no garantee that they would find problem.they spent 2 hours and charged me for 1 but I still don't know what's wrong.if I unplug tps ac clutch kicks on
You tinkered with the idle yes? I'm thinking by doing so or not properly setting the tps, the ecu doesn't sense the IDL circuit. So its no properly kicking into idle mode. You need to go through your idle work and make sure tps is set properly and that you don't have any vacume leaks that made you set your idle to compensate for.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:44 AM

Dealership said it was reading 4% at idle so I backed it down a little and I have to do that,they are thinking its something electrical but they aren't sure.I took k@n intake off and rechecked all the connections and reset ecu.it idles around 800 to 900 now but ac clutch still isn't getting any power at idle they think its the ac amplifier or the ecu.ill keep at it and when I figure it out ill post it,really wish I knew some 1 with same truck so I can swap ac amplifier and see if it fixes it
Old 07-11-2012, 01:43 PM
totally a bro
Staff

call around to junk yards and see if you can test one
Old 07-11-2012, 01:46 PM

I planned to call tomorrow but thanks for tip,if they have 1 ill buy a part at a time til its fixed lol,I honestly think its ac amplifier or ecu messed up

Last edited by vital22re; 07-11-2012 at 01:55 PM. Reason: language
Old 07-11-2012, 01:48 PM
totally a bro
Staff

seriously doubt its the ecu. I'm still thinking that the ecu may not be getting the right parameters for the idle circuit to properly fire the ac. Are you sure you aren't low on freon? may just be barely low.
Old 07-11-2012, 01:52 PM

I checked r134a,my dad checked and dealer checked.I tested tps and put new 1 on for the hell of it and dealer tested it too.tech told me if it were his he would find a ac amplifier from junk yard and try that so I guess I need to start searching.id rather be spending my $ on new shocks/lift but I guess its the price u pay lol.I'm starting to miss my 91 yota on 35's even with 3.0 slow
Old 07-11-2012, 01:58 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sure its not the expansion valve for the A/C system? This will show those exact symptoms at idle. And the A/c will only operate properly with foot on gas for going down the road.

Have this problem with my 4runner currently just haven't felt like replacing it yet... as its in the dash next to the Evaporator core.
Old 07-11-2012, 02:00 PM

No I did not,honestly a/c systems are my downfall when it coms to vehicles.is there a test I can perform to check this?
Old 07-11-2012, 02:13 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Only way to really test it is to hook up a/c pressure gauges to the system and monitor pressure. The Expansion valve regulates system pressure and condensor temp.... And watch if the gauges equalize to nearly zero at idle indicating a problem...

Fan clutch?

Excessive debris in the radiator and condensor fins?

You can try spraying water on the condensor with the a/c on and see if it helps... not a gurantee fix...
Old 07-11-2012, 02:24 PM

Once in a great while when I hit ac button clutch will engage at idle but 95% of the time it won't,also if I unplug tps after a few seconds ac clutch will click on that's y I replaced tps in first place hoping that was the issue
Old 07-11-2012, 02:27 PM
totally a bro
Staff

May be worth taking it to a dedication A/c shop. Or you can bypass the system kinda.... Grab the 12v from the black with blue stripe wire at the a/c amp *should be switched power when ac buttom pushed* and take power from there to the a/c clutch wire witch is black with yellow stripe right at the amp but changes to light green with black stripe.
Old 07-11-2012, 02:32 PM

Maybe ill try that after work tomorrow at least I could rule out a bad switch,thanks for the advice guys ill figure it out eventually.I've only had this truck like 6 months I bought it cause I sold my 91 yota and wanted something with a bit more power but I'm starting to regret my decision,this wouldn't be a big deal to most people but I work in a 34 deg cooler and I wear thermals to work and it sucks on hot days

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: fixed high idle now ac clutch wont engage