Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

First Trail Ride and... "˟˟˟˟˟, I cant move!"

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2003, 06:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First Trail Ride and... "˟˟˟˟˟, I cant move!"

Well, I finally got around to taking my 2000 4Runner Limited out for a trail ride today while on the way home from school. Having feared the concept of getting stuck and suffering embaressment since I got the 4Runner last November, this was the first time I'd taken it off the streets.

It all started well. I had two friends in the truck when we found a nice little trail that intersected with a 4-lane highway behind my neighborhood. Veering off onto the trail, I immediately found that it would be pretty tough terrain for my 2WD 4Runner with stock suspension to handle. Due to the fact that it has rained here in Charlotte 15 of the last 18 days, the trail, which was mainly dirt and sand and about 15-20 feet wide, was covered in puddles. Most of these puddles were about a foot or more deep and about 8 feet from one side to the other. However, I was able to manuever through the safest spots down about 1/3 mile of the trail.

When my friend, who was serving as a spotter, told me to drive around the trail and through the brush, which was mainly thorn bushes and tall grass, I followed his orders and proceeded to go around one of the largest puddles we had yet to encounter. At this time I was already having serious doubts and wanting to turn around, however, my friend urged me to go forward because it supposedly was easier just ahead.

As I moved to get back on the trail after going around one of the large water puddles, my right front tire fell about a foot and a half into an invisible ditch. Over and over I attempted to reverse back out of the ditch and drive through it but with no avail. I was stuck. The back-left tire had no traction at all and would simply spin when i applied the gas. As for the back-right tire, it never seemed to have enough power to turn at all. Of course, in this situation it would have been great to have 4WD, but that might not have mattered anyways, as my front-left tire was firmly packed 8-inches deep in mud and my front-right tire, which was in the ditch, was sitting on wet grass and a some mud. Upon further inspection of the front end, I immediately noticed that the front end was resting on my Manik grill gaurd. Had I not had it, the bumper probably would have been smashed by the impact of the hit and Id be looking at getting a new one. Instead, Ive got a small gash at the bottom of the plastic strip on the grill gaurd.

We tried everything to free ourselves from the spot, finding wood to place under the tires for more traction, and eventually finding pieces of granite for the same purpose. After being stuck for about 20 minutes, I called my neighbor who drives a 1998 Grand Cherokee with 8-inches of lift and 35s. It took him a little while to get around to coming to help us out because at the time he had been wrenching on the underside of his rig and had to finish the job before he could drive it. After about a 30 minute wait, he we heard the sound of his V8 engine coming down the trail with no difficulty at all. He turned around and tied up a tow-strap to my tow-hitch and with little difficulty pulled the 4Runner right out of the hole.

As soon as I spoke with him and a few of his buddies that he'd brought along, they realized that I had been running with only 2WD. Shocked, they all laughed at my stupidity for having gone alone on such a difficult trail while at the same time amazed that I had made it that far down the trail with 2WD. When I asked whether they'd be continueing down the trail or not, they said no and that I'd better follow them back around. I was able to turn around and, having received a few suggestions on how techniques for driving in the mud, I easily followed them back to the main road. The first words to come from their mouths were "Wow, It amazes me that a 2WD truck could make it that far."

I learned many things from this ride today. Not only did I learn the limits of my truck, but I realized that its not such a good idea to go out alone, especially when you've never been on the trail before." However, it also made me proud of what my 4Runner can do. The meer fact that those guys, who all sport Domestics with major lifts, would say something like that about the ability of a 2WD makes me wonder what I could do with a 4WD 4Runner. It also showed me how important it is to have upgraded suspension and that I need to keep saving up to get that covetted SAW system that Im so close to having. All in all, it was a great time. I enjoyed it and even though I will probably take some heavy ˟˟˟˟ from other people both at school and maybe even here.

Last edited by prolax13; 05-30-2003 at 06:42 PM.
Old 05-30-2003, 07:20 PM

The most important thing you need (after the lift) is a LOCKER! (like the toyota locker or ARB)
That would have gotten both rear tires moving the same speed (providing power to the tire with traction), and possibly gotten you out of that hole.
Sounds like it was a big hole so the help of another vehicle still may have been necessary.
In any event, sounds like you had fun!
Pics?
Todd
Old 05-30-2003, 07:39 PM
Contributing Member

Lessons learned!

Glad everything worked out for you. More important than 2WD is not going out alone!
Old 05-30-2003, 07:46 PM
Contributing Member

Put an ARB Air-Locker in the back and really impress them. SOme how make it to a 100 to 1 low range and really lay it on thick.

I'm going to run trails in 2WD, locked rear axle and 125 to 1 for a while. Why, because I can.

Old 05-30-2003, 10:48 PM
Contributing Member

That would have been a good story if you hadn't of gotten pulled out by a HEEP!!
Old 05-31-2003, 04:45 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't let it discourage you. I drove 2wd for years: VW Rabbits then finally a Toy pickup. Run what you brung. I found, like you, that what the 2wd pickup lacked was traction and gearing.

I took the pickup up an old mining road on the side of Bishop's Cap and did real well till I came to a shale bed and a berm (water diversion). The pickup just spun it's tires on the shale, so I backed down and hiked up.

Years later, I tried the same road in my 4Runner and found out the limitations of 4wd. I got the 4Runner to the same shale bed and spun the front and rear tires. Now I need a locker.

Traction, gearing and clearance: it seems you can't ever get enough.
Old 05-31-2003, 06:17 AM
Contributing Member

nice story, even 4wd isnt THAT effective over 2WD unless you have lockers on at least one end IMO, but im no expert. all i know is i have 4WD and it didnt do jack as soon as i hit the soft and wet stuff. im gettin some 33 mud terrains next week, then we can see how much the tires make a difference. if im still getting stuck its time to order the rear e or air locker.
Old 05-31-2003, 07:24 AM
Contributing Member

Great story there Prolax, bad idea going alone, but at least you have som good friends with you helping you out, and good thing you had a friend to call get your butt out. I feel ya though, you know I'm 2WD and I feel the need to push mine alot as well. I really really wish I had 4WD and I'm still working on weather to get anothr 4Runner and sell this one or weather to save up maybe 1,000 or so and by a 91' Land Rover(I have the hook up on Land Rovers, really really big hook up), in other words a trail rig. But man, next time you go running a trail we need to do it together, now that would be funny 2 2WDs pushing it. But good story, the HEEP thing was kinda embarasing but you do what you gota do.
Old 05-31-2003, 08:07 AM

hey, I ran around in a 79 ford f250 for years (still best investment yet) she could only spin 2 wheels and had decent AT for traction the secret is lowering you tire presssure (15psi works real well) and using your e brake to and resistance IE the poor mans locker. I bet you had your air up to 35 40 lbs huh? it really makes all the differance in the world. I'll air down my taco leave it in 2wd and take it places it would have trouble in 4wd w/ the pressusre up
Old 05-31-2003, 07:46 PM

Thanks for the advice guys.

Just as you guessed IndieFIRE, I neglected to air-down the tires, so they were probably running around 30-32 psi. How low should I go when driving in mud on stock 30.5s? What about in conditions like forest trails with logs and stumps around or on rocks? What psi should I use for those conditions?

Also, since Im new to offroading, how and when should I use my e-brake? Any other advice or hints when offroading in various conditions would be greatly appreciated.

Yah, it was pretty embaressing getting yanked out of that ditch by a Jeep. But hell, thats the same Jeep that drove me to high school for my first 2 years and as a matter of fact, Ive heard that its the highest lifted Grand Cherokee here in Charlotte. Im sure there will be some talk about this at school next week, but then again all I got is exams and its summer.

Stump1883, we definitely gotta get a trailride this summer. Maybe we can get NCSU4Runner and the other guys from NC to join us in that Nat'l Forest near here. Otherwise, Im sure I could drive up there to G-boro sometime or meet halfway.

As for pics: I made the spur-of-the-moment decision to go offroading on the way home from school so I didn't have a camera handy. However, If you guys would like, I can drive back to the entrance of the trail and take a few pics while hiking through it on foot (Dont want to risk any more problems...yet.)

SAW/Downey/Bilstein Suspension and E-Locker, here I come!

Oh and, one more thing. Can anyone translate Shaefer's post to english? Call me a tenderfoot, but I dont know what 100:1 or 125:1 ratios are.

Dave

Last edited by prolax13; 05-31-2003 at 07:49 PM.
Old 06-01-2003, 07:16 AM

The 100:1 and 125:1 ratios are the drive ratios when in 1st gear and 4wd low. You multiply the gear ratio of each part (1st gear, 4wd low, and rear axle) to get what the final ratio is.
Hope this helps,
Todd
Old 06-01-2003, 09:38 AM
AUJWE

I was playing around at the hunting camp on Friday and I got stuck in a spot that wouldn't have stuck a 4WD, or probably a 2WD with a locker. I was able to get out eventually by heavily using the go pedal. Weren't any Heeps around to pull me out.

Who said Dueler Revos don't have a self cleaning tread design?

If anyone wants to see a picture of the beaver we killed let me know. I don't want to post it if it is going to offend any of you tree-hugging hippies on here. Note: it's note gory and there's no blood.

You can see more pictures here: http://community.webshots.com/album/75109633kcVlJY
Old 06-01-2003, 12:57 PM

pro,

til they pooch out, it really depends on how for you gotta go to air them back up if just a little way then 15 no lower than 12 you'll pop a bead off with stock tires and wheels (I've done it had to have les schaub dismount and remount the tire) bigger tires and better wheels the lower you can go I bet a lot of these guys rule 4-5psi out on the trail, at that presure the tire just envelops obsticales and the tread flexs like fingers, but thats whit speciial stuff and the kind of trails you and I do (just jumping off the beaten path from time to time or cruising forest service roads) really only benifits from that 15 lb range (which is substantial)

Hey I pulled out a couple of jeeps last week (got yanked by a bowtie myself but he had to do it from the road so it doesnt count right? and I could have self extracted given the time...):pat:
Old 06-01-2003, 02:35 PM

Prolax, where do you go to school and where was this trail? What neighborhood do you live in?

I graduated from CLS in 99.

Next time I'm home maybe we can show that dude with the Jeep what a 4wd 4Runner can really do...

His Dana 30 might break just looking at my truck
Old 06-01-2003, 05:22 PM

44Runner: Wow, so you went to Latin... Ive got quite a few friends who go to school there. I live in Providence Country Club, about 5 minutes away from Latin, and go to school at Providence High School (I know your probably saying something to the effect of "that ˟˟˟˟-hole" or "bitch school") As a member of the lacrosse team, we play Latin a couple times each year, of course they whooped our ass this year.

As for my neighbor, Ive seen your rig and am very impressed with it, but Im not quite sure how it would compare against his. Ive been trying to borrow my sister's digi-cam so I could get some pics of the trail and its mud-holes. Maybe Ill walk over to Garretts house and take a few pics of his Jeep so I can show you guys. Its a beast of a rig, not to mention it was named the best vehicle in the school.
Old 06-01-2003, 07:29 PM

Originally posted by prolax13
44Runner: Wow, so you went to Latin... Ive got quite a few friends who go to school there. I live in Providence Country Club, about 5 minutes away from Latin, and go to school at Providence High School (I know your probably saying something to the effect of "that ˟˟˟˟-hole" or "bitch school") As a member of the lacrosse team, we play Latin a couple times each year, of course they whooped our ass this year.

As for my neighbor, Ive seen your rig and am very impressed with it, but Im not quite sure how it would compare against his. Ive been trying to borrow my sister's digi-cam so I could get some pics of the trail and its mud-holes. Maybe Ill walk over to Garretts house and take a few pics of his Jeep so I can show you guys. Its a beast of a rig, not to mention it was named the best vehicle in the school.
Yep, was at Latin for 6 years and CCDS before that. My little brother still goes to Latin, Junior I think? My ex-girlfriend went to Providence when I met her 6 years ago. We dated for 5 1/2 years and just recently broke up. I used to know a fair amount of Providence kids. Latin has changed a lot since I graduated 4 years ago, but when I went there, we had nothing against Providence High. I still know TONS of people that live in Providence Country Club...

My rig compared to his huh? Well, lets break it down.

His:
35" ?
Dana 30 w/ ?
Aluminum Dana 44 w/ ?
Unibody POS

Mine:
35" MT/Rs
Dana 44 w/ OX locker
Toyota 8" w/ e-locker
Toyota quality

No clue if he has lockers, but hopefully he didn't waste money on them for those POS axles. Unless he has done some axle swappin, I'll stick with my original statement. Both my axles are stronger and I am locked front and rear. Flex is another area that we can't really compare, but I know I am really flexy, all depends what kit he has.

Being named best vehicle in school isn't really that great a thing considering 99.9% of those voting know JACK about 4x4s. Might get you the ladies though...

Maybe I'll see you around Charlotte some time. Feel free to flag me down...

Dave

Last edited by 44Runner; 06-01-2003 at 07:31 PM.
Old 06-01-2003, 08:26 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by AUJWE

i love how the flowers are still stuck on there
Old 06-01-2003, 09:29 PM

Yea, I too unfortunately know how it feel to get your 2WD 4Runner stuck and have to get pulled out by a Jeep . I was driving down at the west end of Dauphin Island, AL, and my friend was telling me that it would be easier to cut across this lot to get to the main road. Well, I turned off the road towards that lot, but then thought to myself "Hey, this is illegal, and I could easily get caught doing this!" And even worse, I was thinking more about my friend's suggestion rather than paying attention to the fact that there is loose sand on the side of the road like most roads down at the west end of DI (AUJWE probably knows what I am talking about since he's from Mobile too). So right after I realized what I was doing was not a smart idea, I felt the wheels sit there and spin, and I knew that I did not have a chance since I was already headed forward and I had at least about 50 feet of sand ahead of me. So I just stopped immediately since the road was closer behind me than the end of the sand was ahead of me, and we jammed every stick and piece of wood we could find under the wheels, but it didn't do much good since really only 1 wheel was spinning. Never thought to air down the tires, but that probably wouldn't have helped in this situation. Well, the right tire had dug itself so deep that the 4Runner was starting to sit on the differential, so we just gave up and knew it was time to think about how we were gonna tow it out. Thankfully, we saw a nicely modded Jeep CJ headed down the main street. So, we flagged him down and asked him if he could pull me out. So he got a tow cable, attatched it to my trailer hitch, and pulled me out of there fairly easily. Thankfully, the people at school really didn't give me a hard time about the situation, but even if they did, I wouldn't care since I have heard of others at school getting into some MUCH worse stuck situations than mine!!
Old 06-01-2003, 11:33 PM

Originally posted by Phil G
Yea, I too unfortunately know how it feel to get your 2WD 4Runner stuck and have to get pulled out by a Jeep . I was driving down at the west end of Dauphin Island, AL, and my friend was telling me that it would be easier to cut across this lot to get to the main road. Well, I turned off the road towards that lot, but then thought to myself "Hey, this is illegal, and I could easily get caught doing this!" And even worse, I was thinking more about my friend's suggestion rather than paying attention to the fact that there is loose sand on the side of the road like most roads down at the west end of DI (AUJWE probably knows what I am talking about since he's from Mobile too). So right after I realized what I was doing was not a smart idea, I felt the wheels sit there and spin, and I knew that I did not have a chance since I was already headed forward and I had at least about 50 feet of sand ahead of me. So I just stopped immediately since the road was closer behind me than the end of the sand was ahead of me, and we jammed every stick and piece of wood we could find under the wheels, but it didn't do much good since really only 1 wheel was spinning. Never thought to air down the tires, but that probably wouldn't have helped in this situation. Well, the right tire had dug itself so deep that the 4Runner was starting to sit on the differential, so we just gave up and knew it was time to think about how we were gonna tow it out. Thankfully, we saw a nicely modded Jeep CJ headed down the main street. So, we flagged him down and asked him if he could pull me out. So he got a tow cable, attatched it to my trailer hitch, and pulled me out of there fairly easily. Thankfully, the people at school really didn't give me a hard time about the situation, but even if they did, I wouldn't care since I have heard of others at school getting into some MUCH worse stuck situations than mine!!
Another bama boy...alright
Old 06-01-2003, 11:47 PM

Originally posted by AUJWE
You can see more pictures here: http://community.webshots.com/album/75109633kcVlJY
I'm really curious to know how did you manage to get in here:

Quick Reply: First Trail Ride and... "˟˟˟˟˟, I cant move!"