Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Finally got my 4Runner up and running...

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2003, 08:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Finally got my 4Runner up and running...

....and I'm just as p'oed as I am happy. After letting my '85 4Runner sit for months getting up the conviction and the cash to have the engine pulled apart and likely rebuilt after having a brand new headgasket come apart I finally took it in this week. I had taken the truck to a few different outfits and had even contacted the engine builder (LCEngineering.com) trying to figure out the initial problem. It was getting oil in the antifreeze, but not the other way around. There was no overheating, just oil. I finally decided it was an odds on favorite that there was simply a small bad point in the head or gasket that could be easily repaired by redoing the headgasket and having a quick bit of machining done on the head.
I took it to a local and had him do the headgasket. It didn't last for 10 miles. Antifreeze was getting pumped out the overflow, oil was running down the block by the timing cover, overheating, the whole scenario.
After taking it to the most respected machine shop in town (who did the work on the head when it was off), the panel was stumped and best guesses pointed to a cracked block allowing exhaust gases into the cooling system.
WRONG! As it turns out, which I, of course, have no way to prove, the new mechanic discovered that the other mechanic had most likely REUSED the old headgasket! I had even special ordered one and taken it to him myself. I'm guessing at some point he damaged the new one and not wanting to admit it just stuck the old one back on.
Anyway, it's back and even better than the before. The same guy that screwed the pooch on the headgasket had originally installed the engine and hadn't set up the TPS on the new big bore throttle body properly. The new mechanic did it all, and so far appears to have done it all right.
I have had a couple additions since I was last hanging around here. Ben is now about 5 months old and might go for his first ride in a 4wheel drive this weekend, and I have a digital camera as well. They were sort of a package deal
I'm thinking of posting some pics of the ride and rider soon.
Glad to be back!
Old 12-05-2003, 11:42 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's a nice feeling to get your baby running again.

I had a similar situation (actually more than 3) with my Eclipse which had a 9000 mile old turbo come apart and sat for 4 months before saving up for a bigger one plus there a few tranny issues associated with drag racing that had her down for a while too.

Post some pics.