Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Feedback on CV Unlimited axles

Old 11-23-2003, 10:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Feedback on CV Unlimited axles

Im looking for feedback from you folks who have purchased these axles.

I e-mailed CV Unlimited asking for info and recieved this response;

MIKE,
THE CV AXLE WE SUPPLY IS THE GKN DESIGN. I AM NOT SURE IF IT IS THE OE UNIT IN THE 4 RUNNER OR NOT. WE HAVE FOUNT THAT THE GKN IS THE BETTER DESIGN. WE USE AN NEW JOINT THAT IS MUCH STRONGER THAN THE OE JOINT. WE WARRANTY THE NEW JOINT AGAINST BREAKING. IF YOU BREAK IT WE WILL REPLACE IT FOR FREE. WE ALSO HAVE A BOOT THAT WILL HOLD UP WITH A 3" LIFT KIT.

THE PRICE IS 249.95 EACH SHIPPING IS 7.50

Couple of questions;

1. What is the GKN design
2. For those of you who purchased these axles did you recieve the 4Runner axle or the the Taco axle.
3. How have your boots held up as far as leakage etc
4. Are these worth the price or should I stay with OEM axle
5. If in fact there a superior product can I get the specific part number for the 3rd gen 4Runner

Any info from you guys would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-23-2003, 10:19 AM
Contributing Member

Mike,

I'm curious to see what you find out. For some reason, I think they're including Mecatech boots that are supposed to be better for high cv angles. I seem to recall mixed impressions about these boots, a search might shed some light.
Old 11-23-2003, 10:48 AM

Hey David,
Did a search and there wasn't much.
From what Ive seen it wasn't the Megatech boots but I could be wrong.
I've heard the Megatech boots don't fit right and that they were a pain to work with.
Not much info on CV unlimited for the 3rd gen. I know Jeff Marmot and SteveO have them on there rig but there running manuals. I haven't heard of anyone else running them with ADD.
Old 11-23-2003, 11:05 AM
Contributing Member

I was going to start a thread on upgraded CVs, but you beat me to it! Great minds think alike... or so they say...

Anyway, are they the only option in beefed up CVs? I know hyperlite has some on his truck, but I can't remember what brand he went with. I like the idea of the free replacement, but how much down time would we be looking at? I guess I could just keep my stockers as extras on the trail and keep them in until the Unlimiteds return...
Old 11-23-2003, 11:10 AM

I plan on keeping on of my stockers. I want to tear it apart and get a better understanding of intricacies (sp) involved.
Old 11-23-2003, 11:28 AM
Contributing Member

i dont have them but it is my understanding (from reading posts on the subject) that the cv unlimiteds axles use a tacoma shaft/inner joint and a tunra outer joint. ive heard that the tacoma/tundra splines are the same. ive also got good reviews on these..www.raxles.com.
my time hasnt come to do this yet so i havent been able to "experiment" with it.
Old 11-23-2003, 08:14 PM

Here's the long answers to your questions.
1). Tacomas were mostly assembled in the U.S. while the 3rd gen 4Runner was assembled in Japan. The engineers had apparently spec'ed the basics for the front axles and then left it open for the most convenient axle supplier near the final assembly point. GKN is said to typically supply axles for Land Rovers. CV Unlimited's opinion is that GKN was the original mfg of Taco front axles for assembly in the U.S. But 4Runner front axles are from some other company in Japan.

The axle dimensions and splines at the front diff and at the ADD point are identical between Tacos and 4Runners (and Tundras). Same front diff for all these. And the dimensions and splines are the same in the hub for non-manual hub versions. So whole ADD Taco and 4Runner half shafts can be interchanged. That's been accidentally proven by some Carquest shops that regularly interchange them. But the Taco and 4Runner "middle shaft" (as I call it) between the 2 joints is totally different. The Taco has a slightly larger diameter shaft there and stronger 34 splines instead of the 4Runner's wimpy 27 splines into the joints. The Taco middle shafts are stronger, but the giant bearings in the tripod joint on the Taco are smaller than the bearings in the 4Runner's inner joint. So the 4Runner tripod joint might be stronger there. (But that's still not where they break). ORS has also said that the 4Runner middle axle seems to be about 3/16" longer than the ADD Taco axle shaft, which matters only if you have slightly different A-arms, such as ATS. BTW, the ORS manual hub kit uses custom middle shafts to bridge the gap from the 4Runner tripod joint to the Tacoma manual hub and outer joint with the goal of saving you money.

2). I've been one of the very few who have been using the CV Unlimited "Newfield" axles on the front of my 3rd gen 4Runner. I've used them for almost a year and a half. I installed them at the same time as the ORS manual hub kit. So I have the Taco "Newfield" axles for manual hubs, which is their part number 0726NF.

I haven't heard of anyone yet who has purchased the 4Runner "Newfield" axles for the stock permanent hub flange. Note that if you do buy these, you should first convince CV Unlimited that they messed up when they measured their original 4Runner axles since the left and right axles are actually identical and the same Toyota part number. CV Unlimited currently lists them as different parts on each side, but they should be the same.

3). The CV Unlimited boots have held up great, but understand that I also have a 3/4" front diff drop (Ace Hardware home-made version) as well as manual hubs so they aren't turning all the time. So my boots should last much longer. I've had no leakage around the boots. I do question the CV Unlimited in-house quality control, because one of the original axles I bought from them had the wrong size boot on the tripod joint. I could hear air sucking around the boot as I moved it back and forth. One Taco on TTORA has also reported the same problem. They had to ship me a replacement.

4). No, I wouldn't recommend the extra money for these. I'm guessing they are within only a few percent "stronger" than stock. And technically it's apparently the same material, but is heat treated to flex more so it absorbs impacts better than stock axles. So if you're lucky, a sudden shock load will be absorbed by the axle flexing instead of breaking. The overall strength is pretty much the same. Based on how my Newfields are breaking, they are indeed heat/thermally treated. My breaks are very different from SteveO's smooth perpendicular fractures. See pic of my first breakage here. I've broken 2 Newfields so far. What we really need is some manufacturer that's willing to make us entire axles and CV joints out of 300M (or 4340) chromoly steel before it's a noteworthy improvement in strength.

It's also worth mentioning that the "Newfield" joints for 3rd gen 4Runners so far are totally different in appearance from the true Newfield joints on solid axles. The Newfield joint used for IFS is absolutely identical (same mfg) to the outer CV joint of what ORS purchases from somewhere to include in their manual hub kit. CV Unlimited may or may not manufacture that joint. The only difference is that CV Unlimited heat treats it. Steve Hunt hasn't been using CV Unlimited axles, but has this same outer CV joint (and integrated outer stub shaft) that he purchased from ORS. And he's been breaking his in the same location as me - at the groove for the C-clip just inside the hub. But his look more like brittle breaks with very smooth fractures.

My last Newfield breakage was discussed more here:
http://www.4x4wire.com/forums/showfl...&Number=384269

The CV Unlimited outer joint isn't from a Tundra. A Tundra's half shaft length is something like 4" longer, but it does have the same splines as Tacos and 4Runners (which IMO means the Tundra axles and front diff are really undersized).

Last edited by Jeff the marmot; 11-23-2003 at 08:18 PM.
Old 11-23-2003, 08:28 PM
Contributing Member

thanks for more great info jeff!!

i should add to my last post that www.raxles.com use high quality boots that have stood up to lifts and that they use amsoil lube, im sure many of you already know....
Old 11-23-2003, 09:37 PM

Thanks Jeff,
I was hoping you would chime in.

Thanks for taking the time for the extensive response. It was extremely helpful.

Im sure others as well will benefit from your writeup.

Mike