Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Failed smog high HC and OBD would not communicate.

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 06:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Failed smog high HC and OBD would not communicate.

1997.. 110 K on a rebuild..
Ok my #'s were 15Mph: %CO2 14.7, %02= 0.6 , HC( max= 51)HC=84,
CO= 0.22, NO= 681

25mph %CO2 14.9 %O2= 0.5 , HC (max=35 ) HC= 35
CO=.0.02 NO= 356

I did some work right before the test:
changed Valve cover gaskets ( they were leaking bad..yes I tried tightening them first..).and plenem gaskets. ( felpro )
New Plugs and nkg wires.
changed oil /filter/ air filter/ charged battery

I did have the battery out of the car, which cleared the check engine light,
but the test only station said the OBD was not communicating with his computer..( instant fail ) the fuse was good!
Is this a result of clearing the OBD log?
I had also put in some injector cleaner in the tank before last fill up and actually refilled with still 1/3 of a tank of gas + fuel injector cleaner still in tank.
I'm not sure if this would up my HC and NO..
Oh...and one MORE goof up.. when I finished the valve cover replacement I did not get the MAF plug fully seated.. and it fell off on the freeway... dodged big rigs from the fast lane...with the truck dead..

I have not changed the front O2 sensor as yet or properly cleaned the MAF, ( which would be easy ) but was hoping I would not have to if there are some insightful tips to try first..

the only other point I can think of was that in the test shop I had water coming out of my tail pipe which usually does not happen after it is warmed up.. although it did sit for 15- 20 turned off right before the test.. as he Bumped me for an vehicle w/an appoinment...grrrr.
( the high HC denoting moisture in the system)..hmmm?
any help would be Great!.. Thanks!
Old 03-29-2012, 08:54 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I noticed the HC's are borderline. How old is the cat? Mine failed as a result of high HC's was recommended to replace cat. Passed with flying colors. I know they can be a little pricey. I hope this can help you somewhat. Good Luck, Oh what state are you in?
Old 03-29-2012, 09:13 PM

I'm in Califork -it- over

Cali-fork-it-over.. for a catalytic converter...

I'm planing on cleaning my MAF tomorrow..if I can find some MAF cleaner.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:25 PM

Cali-fork-it-over

Originally Posted by 4x_WTF
Cali-fork-it-over.. for a catalytic converter...

I'm planing on cleaning my MAF tomorrow..if I can find some MAF cleaner.
I'm from Cali fork-it all over also, got a decent one for $180.00 installed back in Nov 2011 in the Van Nuys area San Fernando Valley. Not knowing what part of Cali you live in, but if your intrested I can PM with the info.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Getting a smog check right after disconnecting the battery meant that the readiness monitors probably hadn't had time to reset. I failed a smog check because I was unaware of this. It takes a few cold starts and driving cycles to reset them. Also you should have kept the car running while waiting for the test to make sure the cats were hot. Clean the MAF just because it is cheap and easy to do.
Old 03-30-2012, 08:13 AM

thanks!.. I am wondering.. I have seen some Cats for sale on ebay that say California version.. is it OK to use these? or only dealer part.. I will get one if I fail this next time..( free re-test )
going to heat it up for a while this next time...
I guess using Alcohol on the MAF sensor is the best.. next to getting the CRC MAF cleaner.. I read that since the sensors are platinum..most cleaners will leave a residue causing incorrect readings.. as it stands the engine is a little uneven when idling. and when I accelerate up a hill.. the engine power seems to increase in small increments.. like rising to the next plateau .. this is new.
Old 03-30-2012, 08:16 AM

I read on another smog falure post that someone suggested pouring a boittle of rubing alcohol in the gast tank..any thoughs?

cpizzle42: here ya go.
step one..go to dollar store and get rubbing alcohol
step two..poor into tank
step three...drive to smog testing location
step four...pass it.
Old 03-30-2012, 01:49 PM

Just my opinion I wouldn't buy one from the dealer I'm assuming you have a 3.4 v6 as you said you replaced valve cover gasket(s) I have a friend at Toyota and a new cat list price is $1,256.00 lol. Mine is I'm sure nothing special but I passed smog and if it passes again in 2 years then I will say money well spent. There are alot of muffler shops especially in California that sell cats all day and I'm sure you can get a deal if you need to replace it.

I wouldn't add anything to the fuel, its also a good possibilty that your rig wasn't hot enough when test was done due to sitting for a period of time. Clean the MAF and re-test and make sure its good and warmed up before test is done. Good luck keep us informed.
Old 03-31-2012, 07:00 PM
Contributing Member

Received 463 Likes on 309 Posts
If you still have problems with reading the OBD here's some info that helped me when I had the same problem on my 96 cali emission 4Runner....
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/o...omputer-93580/