Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Factory roof rack and MPG question?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2005, 10:11 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Factory roof rack and MPG question?

I read about folks removing their roof rack and gaining up to 2 mpg... Are they referring to the factory roof rack or aftermarket roof racks?

I did a quick search but couldn't find the answer.

If factory, do you just remove the two main bars that go across? I notice that they look very easy to remove...

tia

Last edited by grimpy; 11-13-2005 at 10:12 PM.
Old 11-13-2005, 10:23 PM
Contributing Member

to remove those, you need a special tool. because the endcaps hold those bars in place. but yes its very easy to remove those.

and i think people are talking about aftermarket roof racks, and even that, 2mpg isnt realistic. ive played around with it. 1mpg MAYBE at most. it would help, but not enough to where you should remove it and put money back in your pocket worth spending. were talking probably couple dollars part month, tops.
Old 11-13-2005, 10:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by northfacer581
to remove those, you need a special tool. because the endcaps hold those bars in place. but yes its very easy to remove those.

and i think people are talking about aftermarket roof racks, and even that, 2mpg isnt realistic. ive played around with it. 1mpg MAYBE at most. it would help, but not enough to where you should remove it and put money back in your pocket worth spending. were talking probably couple dollars part month, tops.
when i had my surco with 6 hellas, i did notice a reduction in MPG. IF you are that worried about it, you dont need an aftermarket rack. WHen people are talking about a reduction in MPG, they are referring to an aftermarket one. I believe all you need is a torx, i used alan keys b/c i didnt have any torx. Also, with an aftermarket rack, the noise increases substantially!
Old 11-13-2005, 10:34 PM

yeah my yakima cross bars whistle as loud as my pro comp MTs hum.

I hear things like ski racks, boxes or other majorily un-aerodynamic objects may affect your gas mileage. just bars won't make much of a difference.
Old 11-13-2005, 10:47 PM
Contributing Member

thanks again guys! looks like I will be leaving my factory rack alone.
Old 11-13-2005, 10:49 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BornChaos
yeah my yakima cross bars whistle as loud as my pro comp MTs hum.

I hear things like ski racks, boxes or other majorily un-aerodynamic objects may affect your gas mileage. just bars won't make much of a difference.
LOL..when i had my surco, i would get a steady low pitched hum. Now that i have the yakima bars with a bike rack, i hear a whistling noise..LOL
Old 11-13-2005, 11:00 PM
Contributing Member

can't wait till boarding season!

my mpg is going to shoot down quite a bit...

I'll probably end up getting a whooping 13 mpg!
Old 11-13-2005, 11:07 PM
Contributing Member

BTW, the factory roof rack end is jsut a Torx bit (somewhat common). It's not somethign super special that you'd have to order from Toyota or anything.
Old 11-13-2005, 11:08 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
grimpy,

anthing that is not aerodynamic up top will decrease your gas mileage. however, the stock roof rails with nothing on it is NOT going to significantly affect your mileage.

i tried substituting the racks with the plastic strip covers that go on non-roof rack equipped 4runners. net effect was the same.

also, i have a big thule summit cargo box. its about 9 feet long and about a little less than half the width of the 4runner itself. the misses and i took it to yosemite this summer. gas mileage was about 16 to 17 mpg---about the same that i get without the cargo box.

bob
Old 11-13-2005, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by DrBeau
BTW, the factory roof rack end is jsut a Torx bit (somewhat common). It's not somethign super special that you'd have to order from Toyota or anything.
beau's right. its just a simple #24 torx bit. unscrew all of them about 1/2 way and then you will see the end caps slightly come up. pop those off w/ a screwdriver and then undo the rest

bob
Old 11-13-2005, 11:57 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks guys... I do see the torx bolts. Looks like removing the entire thing is fairly easy. I was thinking just the two main bars, the larger ones... Just removing the knob screw thing that tightens it. Looks like there is a way to take it off without having to remove the entire rack.

But from the prev. posts... doesn't seem like it will affect much so I will probably just leave it alone.
Old 11-14-2005, 12:23 AM

Grimpy,

Yeah, just leave it alone. when you take off those two bars, it actually looks naked and stupid.

the other alternative is to put this bad boy on the roof:

bob
Old 11-14-2005, 12:53 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Bob_98SR5
Grimpy,

Yeah, just leave it alone. when you take off those two bars, it actually looks naked and stupid.

the other alternative is to put this bad boy on the roof:

bob
LOL BOB!

Yeah I saw one without the two bars, I know what you mean... but it made me wonder why he took them off... hence the reason why I asked...

I actually saw a 4Runner with a big ( Y ) APR wing on it... since I am lifted, I was basically staring right at it... The idiot had all his windows down and was bumping his system... I was laughing so hard at him... He saw me and flipped me off...
Old 11-14-2005, 05:17 AM
Contributing Member

I drive kind of aggressive and that's the biggest factor with my MPGs since I hardly noticed a drop even running my Yakima Load Warrior rack with the plastic shield in place and I didn't really notice any diff and if there was then it might have only been 1mpg more once I removed it.