Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Factory Roof Rack

Old 04-08-2008, 12:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Factory Roof Rack

I'm looking to buy a 96-2000 4Runner and have run across a few without a factory rack, the only thing up there is a thin black rib on either side (not just a rack without it's cross bars, but a thin rib that nothing could attach to). Is it possible to retrofit the factory rack??
Old 04-08-2008, 01:17 PM
Contributing Member

I think that rib you are talking about is just the raingutter thingy but you probably could change it to the roof rack strip. Don't take my word for it though I have'nt looked at those runners very closely to say for sure either way. Somebody here will know better...
Old 04-08-2008, 09:08 PM

I am sure it would be possible to attach a factory rack. However you risk causing a leak and/or drilling through you ceiling apholstry. If it were me I would just get a Thule or Yakima rack that attaches to the gutters at the top of the door opening.

Like this one on my brother's previous car

Last edited by mpavolka; 04-08-2008 at 09:11 PM.
Old 04-08-2008, 10:35 PM

i just took my oem rack off and put on a yakima. the guy who bought my oem one had a 4runner that came w/o and i believe under that strip hidden are threaded inserts. pray that up and check. if there are no threaded inserts, i would NOT just screw it to the top with sheet metal screws. those things are already flimsy enough, its why i took it off. if you plan on having surfboards or a rocket box it will most likely flex and flop in the wind on the freway. i've seen em do that is why i took mine off.
Old 04-09-2008, 04:11 AM

I'm a newb and have been researching the whole roof rack thing myself as I have a '99 SR5 w/o the factory rack. I do have the two strips and can tell you that there are 4? torx or star fasteners that hold the strips to the roof. My understanding is that you can buy the rails and just replace the strips. They should fasten to the roof the same way.
Old 04-09-2008, 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by TRT4Runner
I'm a newb and have been researching the whole roof rack thing myself as I have a '99 SR5 w/o the factory rack. I do have the two strips and can tell you that there are 4? torx or star fasteners that hold the strips to the roof. My understanding is that you can buy the rails and just replace the strips. They should fasten to the roof the same way.
I hope this is the case and I really can't see a reason why Toyota would install those strips up there for no reason, they must be in place of what would be the factory rack.

The truck I bought came with a Yakima rack up front, but I would like the option to have stuff in the back ..... those racks up front make a lot of noise and I like running with the sunroof open.
Old 04-09-2008, 05:21 AM

I believe some came w/o anything on the roof (no black strips or actual roof rack) those are the one that would have to drill into the roof to attach a factory rack. Like I said, I'm new to the game, but I've been doing alot of browsing and searching on the subject and I'm 99% sure of this. Maybe a vet can chime in and be absolutely positive.
Old 04-09-2008, 06:03 AM

right, right....i forgot, the torx screws. if you have those you're good. thats where the rack will bolt to!
Old 04-09-2008, 07:46 AM

Cool, now I need to find a used rack somewhere!
Old 04-09-2008, 08:44 AM

Remember to put some silicon or similar sealant on the screws when you put your new rack in. You want it to stand up to years of rain.
Old 04-09-2008, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by Roadtripr
Remember to put some silicon or similar sealant on the screws when you put your new rack in. You want it to stand up to years of rain.
No worries, I live in Bellingham, WA (about 70 miles north of Seattle) and it "never rains as much as they say out here" ........ this what everyone told me before I moved here, I'm calling BS
Old 04-09-2008, 02:51 PM

what are you looking to put on the rack? this has some outcome to what rigging will work...
Old 04-09-2008, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by montana nate
Cool, now I need to find a used rack somewhere!
You and me both!
I also have the black strips with the screws and am in search of a rack. While we are on the topic, anybody have experience with a kayak or canoe on the factory roof rack?
Old 04-09-2008, 07:21 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by montana nate
I hope this is the case and I really can't see a reason why Toyota would install those strips up there for no reason, they must be in place of what would be the factory rack.

The truck I bought came with a Yakima rack up front, but I would like the option to have stuff in the back ..... those racks up front make a lot of noise and I like running with the sunroof open.
bought? nice! lets have a look see!
Old 04-09-2008, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by d0ubledown
bought? nice! lets have a look see!
I pick it up tomorrow and pics will be taken for sure. One owner 98' SR5 with the factory locker and a pretty rare lighter blue color ..... can't wait!

How's the Cruiser? Not sure if you named him/her yet, I but I called him Junior as it was younger then my FJ60 name Thirsty
Old 04-09-2008, 09:07 PM

ah b ham. go rip it up at Rumors!
Old 04-09-2008, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by michalik_piotr
ah b ham. go rip it up at Rumors!
Rumors isn't really my thing ...... I'm more of a dinner and margaritas at Jalepenos and then down to Archers for darts and beer kinda guy
Old 04-14-2008, 07:09 AM

RE: Factory Roof Rack

Hello Everyone:

I have a 1997 4Runner, V6, SR5 that had the factory roof strips. I recently snagged an almost like new 97 factory roof rack and replaced those strips which had separated and cracked over the years. Best decision I made. I found the rack here in Los Angeles by searching Craigslist, posting a wanted ad and ebay. Craigslist came through, although I did have to travel 50 miles to get it.

When removing the bolts and re-installing, you will need to coat the threads with silicone sealant, like it was from the factory. I also put a thin layer over the head of the bolt to further seal it. Depending on how mechanically inclined you are, it should take you 1-2 hours.
Old 04-14-2008, 08:13 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Fo-runna
While we are on the topic, anybody have experience with a kayak or canoe on the factory roof rack?
I used to have a Thule rack that mounted up front over the sun roof. I carried kayaks using a kayak stacker attachment. That is until I drove into the garage with the stacker in the up position and broke it. Ooops! Since then I have just been strapping my kayak to the factory rack and it has worked fine. I also started using the factory rack to mount my bike instead of using the Thule rack. I like driving with the sunroof open and the Thule rack got in the way of the view and caused some buffeting. So I am sticking with just using the factory rack. It seems to be stronger than it may appear.
Old 04-14-2008, 09:20 AM

RE: Factory Roof Rack

Originally Posted by andyf0722
I used to have a Thule rack that mounted up front over the sun roof. I carried kayaks using a kayak stacker attachment. That is until I drove into the garage with the stacker in the up position and broke it. Ooops! Since then I have just been strapping my kayak to the factory rack and it has worked fine. I also started using the factory rack to mount my bike instead of using the Thule rack. I like driving with the sunroof open and the Thule rack got in the way of the view and caused some buffeting. So I am sticking with just using the factory rack. It seems to be stronger than it may appear.
Actually you are correct. The factory roof rack IS stronger than you think.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Factory Roof Rack