Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Factory 6 Disc in dash changer

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2003, 11:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Factory 6 Disc in dash changer

so i have one of these on my 99 4Runner a little while ago it started to skip even though the CD was not scratched. Like it would cut in and cut out. I could also hear the CD turning, when this would happen, it was very loud. To fix, i would just switch CDs until the problem stopped. Well now it has stopped working all together. When I press the CD button, it tries unsuccessfuly to read the CD, then spits it out and goes back to the radio. WTF? Has anyone else had this problem? Am I basically screwed here? Anyone know what another of these things will cost from the stealer? Anyone have a used one they would part with for the right price?
Old 07-23-2003, 11:26 AM

I had the same problem with the one in mine and it was out of warranty. They are on e-bay used from time to time, I have seen them go for anywhere between $100 & $250 on differnt auctions.

I replaced mine with a Sony double din headunit and 10 disc changer which I mounted under the driver seat. It sounds much better than the stock unit, I have not relaced the speakers yet that is next.
Old 07-23-2003, 12:00 PM

Originally posted by Bob K
I had the same problem with the one in mine and it was out of warranty. They are on e-bay used from time to time, I have seen them go for anywhere between $100 & $250 on differnt auctions.

I replaced mine with a Sony double din headunit and 10 disc changer which I mounted under the driver seat. It sounds much better than the stock unit, I have not relaced the speakers yet that is next.
see, i like the in dash changer, it spoiled me. Obviously the thing is a big piece of crap though and I knew when I bought it that it was probably gonna be trouble down the road, but hey, they threw it in for free.

My problem is i like the stock look. I don't want it to look like I have the remote control for some alien space craft mounted in my damn dash. I just want a ˟˟˟˟in CD player. I don't need or want a neon light show to go along with my music. Never do I fold down the seats and throw dance parties in the back of my truck, so if the head unit has blacklights sticking out both sides or some other ˟˟˟˟, its not exactly a big plus for me. I feel that Head units have gone the way of good sneakers, there is just too damn much going on. I recall the days when you could buy a good pair of Nikes and they didn't have 6 different colors and a tread pattern that might be better suited on my truck then that of my MT/Rs.

I know absolutely NOTHING about stereo stuff so after hearing my rant on likes and dislikes, could any of you stereo guys point me in the right direction for some equipment for me? Basically ideally I would like an in dash changer, tape deeck is unimportant as I have never used mine, if it has one that is fine as well. I would like a simple functional layout without all the crap. I also want to spend as little as I possibly can because I am still paying off the freakin SAS stuff. Sound is of little to no importance with me either. I would just as well take the stock stuff as I thought it sounded fine, but if I can save a few bucks going after market, that would be nice. Options?
Old 07-23-2003, 12:48 PM

Not sure if it is the same, but mine started skipping on all CD's regardless of scratches etc. I took a small can of electronic air (Can of Compressed Air from Office Depot) and using the red hose part, placed it into the radio CD slot and blew away any dirt that had accumulated. Mine now works great again.

Mine only skipped it didn't have a problem not playing - my bet is that it will fix the problem. I think there is too much lint or dirt on the laser.

Last edited by sgirt; 07-23-2003 at 01:01 PM.
Old 07-23-2003, 02:27 PM

Originally posted by sgirt
Not sure if it is the same, but mine started skipping on all CD's regardless of scratches etc. I took a small can of electronic air (Can of Compressed Air from Office Depot) and using the red hose part, placed it into the radio CD slot and blew away any dirt that had accumulated. Mine now works great again.

Mine only skipped it didn't have a problem not playing - my bet is that it will fix the problem. I think there is too much lint or dirt on the laser.
now that is the answer i was looking for.

I didn't want to waste the time if there was no hope of bringing it back to life. Thanks bro...
Old 07-23-2003, 02:53 PM

I tried the air route with mine but it was a no go. The laser eye or what ever it was went bad in mine.

My problem is i like the stock look. I don't want it to look like I have the remote control for some alien space craft mounted in my damn dash. I just want a ˟˟˟˟in CD player. I don't need or want a neon light show to go along with my music. Never do I fold down the seats and throw dance parties in the back of my truck, so if the head unit has blacklights sticking out both sides or some other ˟˟˟˟, its not exactly a big plus for me. I feel that Head units have gone the way of good sneakers, there is just too damn much going on. I recall the days when you could buy a good pair of Nikes and they didn't have 6 different colors and a tread pattern that might be better suited on my truck then that of my MT/Rs.
To be honest I don't really like the silver on the Sony head unit, but I was stuck because I wanted to go with a double din unit so I did not have to worry with filling the hole up. Seems that everything that was double din and in my price range was silver. I just want a CD player that I can listen to music with. I am the same way don't like the lights and flashing crap etc... way past that time in my life. My daughter thinks it is all cool though.

Hope the air works for you good luck.
Old 07-23-2003, 05:30 PM

if you like the stock look, you might want to check out the Nakamichi MB75. It's pretty plain looking and probably sounds a lot better than the toyota one.

http://www.nakamichi.com/auto/musicbank/mb_75_specs.htm
Old 07-23-2003, 06:47 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had the same thing happen to my 3 disc in-dash changer. Take it out, take the metal housing off and look for the laser eye. Clean it off with a paper towel. That fixed mine.

EDIT: If you use a paper towel only use BOUNTY. Don't use the cheap generic kind, they are rough.

Last edited by Jason B; 07-24-2003 at 06:00 AM.
Old 07-24-2003, 04:13 AM

just goto radio shack and buy a CD lens cleaner for $20 this solves most of the skipping or errors on your CD player/changer because most of the times, the lens gets dusty&senile just like us *lol*. Invest on this and even if it doesnt work, you still can use it for CD ROMs on your PC or DVD players. If all else fails, take it apart, take a cotton swab, put a dab of rubbing alcohol, lightly clean the lens. Hopefully you'll get that thing fixed
Old 07-24-2003, 05:54 AM
Contributing Member

Be very careful when working on the lens because they are easily scratched (they make them out of hard optical grade plastic...mainly for cost reasons). Use a cotton swab ( as previously suggested) or soft toilet paper to clean it along with some isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol.....don't use a paper towel because you could scratch it and really make it DOA.

BTW at one time I was looking into putting a 6 disc unit into my 96 and even on ebay they wanted $550 to 600 !!! The I looked at the single disc OEM and they wanted $150 or more on ebay so I went out and got this one from sony CDX-M730 (again on ebay) for like $250 and that was like a year and a half ago (definately has dropped by now).....I totally love it cause it goes jet black when not in use (nice theft protection), has a removeable faceplace (again nice theft protection) and the face flips down.....you should see people's faces when they get in and it pops down when I start the car!

Just so you can see what it looks like (there are cheaper on ebay):
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=39763
Old 07-24-2003, 05:12 PM

Thanks so much for you replies! I was gonna take the thing appart but wanted o see if it would be worth the time and effort. Apparently it is. I'll probably pull it tomorrow, I am getting very tired of the no CD thing. I pretty much only listen to CDs so I am going though withdrawl
Old 07-24-2003, 05:14 PM

I tried the air route with mine but it was a no go. The laser eye or what ever it was went bad in mine.

To be honest I don't really like the silver on the Sony head unit, but I was stuck because I wanted to go with a double din unit so I did not have to worry with filling the hole up. Seems that everything that was double din and in my price range was silver. I just want a CD player that I can listen to music with. I am the same way don't like the lights and flashing crap etc... way past that time in my life. My daughter thinks it is all cool though.

Hope the air works for you good luck.
Daughter huh? How old??
Old 07-24-2003, 06:10 PM

Originally posted by MTL_4runner
Use a cotton swab ( as previously suggested) or soft toilet paper to clean it along with some isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol.....
I wanted to highlight this point.

It's VERY important that you use isopropyl and not ethyl alcohol. And you should get the highest concentration of isopropyl that you can find.

Ethyl is very oily and it will cause focus issues with the laser. And the higher concentration of Isopropyl means that there's less water in it - which will leave a residue as it dries. You should easily be able to find 70% iso which is okay, but look around a bit and you should be able to find 90% which is even better.

Also, let the alcohol do the work, not the cotton swab. i.e., don't push too hard.
Old 07-25-2003, 02:40 AM

Daughter huh? How old??
She is 8 going on 18 never stops talking and loves all music.
Old 07-25-2003, 05:31 AM

She is 8 going on 18 never stops talking and loves all music.
HEHE, little young for me

Man I feel for you. I don't think I could ever deal with a daughter. I would just be way too over protective. Can't go wrong with the loving music though. Dispite my lack of interest in car stereos, music is one of my greatest passions...
Old 07-25-2003, 05:41 AM

Man I feel for you. I don't think I could ever deal with a daughter. I would just be way too over protective.
You have no idea I feel sorry for any guy she dates lol...The first thing I will do is show him my gun collection

I am the same way, like music a lot just not into the whole huge car stereo thing, I just want it to sound good, I don't need to hear if 3 miles away, if I want that I can crank up my Denon home system.