Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

explain 4wd in 2001 limited

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2004, 09:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
explain 4wd in 2001 limited

How does the 4wd for this vehicle work. I have heard that is has all wheel drive, 4wd hi or low, and 2wd. Explain the 4wd indicator light to me, flashing, solid green, orange etc... How do you put it in AWD. How do you put it in 4wd hi and low. What happens when you put the vehicle in park while in AWD, 4wd etc... This does have the push button 4wd option. Thanks...
Old 01-05-2004, 09:51 AM

hey i have a 2002 SR5 and it sounds like there the same 4wd but how mine works is that you keep it in 4hi but just only press in the side push button when you want to engage the 4wd, you can do this when your just driving but at semi slow speeds, and when you push the button in then the green lights should come up on the display, the orange dot comes on when you engage the center diff, duno if that helped but thats how mine works and im pretty sure its the same system but not positive so dont hold me to anything
Old 01-05-2004, 10:03 AM
Contributing Member

Adding to what 4runner4life2 just wrote (and yes, all 2001's and 2002's have the same system):

(Just saw the related post below. There's no need to make 2 posts on the same thing) Please have your friend read the owner's manual. This is CLEARLY written in there, as I just referenced it.

To put it in AWD, push the 4WD button on the transfer case. You will then have 4 green lights at the wheels on the indicator.

To put in 4WD high, hit the button to the left of the steering column. You will then have an orange circle lit up on the indicator, which indicates your center differential is locked. You will also get a "VSC OFF" light on the dash.

To put it in 4 low, put the transmission selector in neutral, then shift the transfer case lever to neutral, to low. You can also shift to low while in park.

Any time the green or orange indicators mentioned above are flashing, that means they aren't engaged yet.

Put the vehicle in park whenever you want. It doesn't matter what mode it's in.

Last edited by Darren; 01-05-2004 at 10:11 AM.
Old 01-05-2004, 10:58 AM

Is it better to use AWD or 4WD for driving on road in the snow? What's the difference? I've had my 4Runner for a year and a half now and didn't realize I had both.
Old 01-05-2004, 12:33 PM
lee
Contributing Member

awd? my understanding was that the whole 4wd system wasnt engaged till you pushed the button, however, the car wont move if the 4wd stick is in N. so i keep it in 4wd hi, then hit the button when i wanna use it.

youre saying the truck isnt 2wd when 4wd is not engaged? news to me...

the key for me was vsc -- teamed with 4wd hi i drove (plowed) through the 18" snow dump we got in december... with no problems.

you will hear the vsc tick when it is engaged (in addition to the indicator) at which point if you release the gas, it'll calm down. if youre really slipping, itll go 'tick tick tick BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP'.

no missing that!
Old 01-05-2004, 05:39 PM

Question

I have a '99 Limited, so it's a little different but I'm still a bit confused. When I simply push the button in, I get something that feels like my old Subaru - AWD. When I shift into 4WD HI it'll bind when turning, which would lead me to believe that the differential is locked. However, as I found out after getting high-centered in Sierra cement last year, the 4WD HI mode does not truly "lock" the differential as the 2 wheels sitting on the ground didn't move while the others in the air were spinning. So I'm curious as to what good the "locking" center differential really does...??
Old 01-05-2004, 07:11 PM
Contributing Member

If you have any 1 tire on each axle which were in the air, as that's what it sounds like you're describing (as opposed to 2 on either axle), you will be stuck every time. That's how open diffs work. If you had the optional factory rear locker, chances are, you would have become unstuck just as easily as you had gotten into that situation.

Last edited by Darren; 01-07-2004 at 07:50 AM.
Old 01-05-2004, 07:44 PM
lee
Contributing Member

someone with some knowledge please clear this up!!
Old 01-05-2004, 08:10 PM
Contributing Member

seems pretty easy to me....

for 2001s and 2002s

Don't touch anything --> 2wd
push in 4wd button --> AWD
push in 4wd button + center lock --> 4wd
Old 01-06-2004, 06:07 AM
Contributing Member

In my mom's Limited I've always used the AWD mode in anything under a foot of snow on public roads;even in deep snow the AWD gets you going. AWD gives you better control in slippery conditionds than 4wd.

I even drove my AWD Eclipse around in nearly a foot with minimal problems,just had to watch getting high centered.
Old 01-06-2004, 06:30 AM

Here is how its explained on the Toyota site.
1999 4-RUNNER 4WD
Toyota's 4WDemand shift-on-the-fly engagement system comes standard on all four-wheel drive 4Runner models, enabling the part-time four-wheel drive system to be engaged at speeds up to 50 mph. A One-Touch Hi-4 switch, available exclusively on 4Runner Limited models, makes shifting into high-4WD as easy as a touch of a button. All four-wheel drive 4Runners are equipped with a two-speed transfer case.

For 1999, 4Runner Limited models receive a new multi-mode 4WD system as standard. The new multi-mode 4WD feature is actually a full-time all-wheel-drive system with 2WD capability. The all-wheel 4WD mode may be used in normal driving conditions on all types of roads from dry, hard surface roads, such as pavement, to wet, icy or snow-covered roads. Driving with the new multi-mode's all-wheel drive system engaged provides the driver with a more controlled, sure-footed feel to the road because power is applied evenly to all four wheels thus improving traction.

To switch from 2WD to the all-wheel 4WD mode, simply reduce the vehicle's speed to less than 62 mph and push in the One-Touch "4WD" button located on the front drive control lever knob (on the transfer case the all-wheel 4WD mode is indicated as "H4"). Returning to the 2WD mode is just as easy, depress the "4WD" button once more and the vehicle is again operating in 2WD.

The multi mode system is not mentioned in the manual at all. Basically the lever is left in the 4H position. When you want to use AWD you depress the button on the side of the shifter. The display will show 4 wheels with green lights. To put it in 4WD you push the lever forward, I think, and the orange light will turn on in the center of the 4 green ones (diff locked). To put the car in 4WD low pull the lever back through neutral and into 4WD low position while stopped and in neutral.
This system is great and I think 4-Runners are the only SUV's to have it. What can be better than AWD and 4WD with a 2 speed transfer case.
Old 01-06-2004, 12:26 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by calrockx
seems pretty easy to me....

for 2001s and 2002s

Don't touch anything --> 2wd
push in 4wd button --> AWD
push in 4wd button + center lock --> 4wd

This is my understanding as well.

I am still tweeked that they did not have the rear locker in 2001
Old 01-06-2004, 12:55 PM

Question

Thanks for the posts, guys. My understanding of the system echoes yours, though I'm still unclear as to what the locking center differential really locks if wheels are left to spin when the rig is in a tough spot.

This is all moot, however, since my bald, crappy Dunlop tires need replacing. They were poor in the snow from the beginning, and I'm thankful that they're ready to be replaced. I'm about 50% freeway, 40% snow and 10% off-road. Looking at the Michelin Cross Terrain SUV and the BF Goodrich A/T KO, though I've heard the latter doesn't shed the snow very well. Any advice for a solid snow tire that won't wear out in 20K miles?
Old 01-06-2004, 03:32 PM

One word- Revo. I haven't used it in the snow yet, but it does great in the mud, clay, rain and highway. There has been a lot of discussion over the last couple of months about the BFG A/T and the Bridgestone Revo. I have put 9K miles on them since Sept. and they have a 50K mile warranty.
Old 01-07-2004, 05:32 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by smittie6
I'm still unclear as to what the locking center differential really locks if wheels are left to spin when the rig is in a tough spot.

On your 1999 LTD, you lock the center diff by pulling the 4WD lever back. That gives you a 50/50 power split to the front and rear axels. Your front and rear axels are open differential type. So therefore if one wheel is in the air on each axle you are stuck as the power goes to the wheel with the least traction. If you had the optional RR Diff locker you could get the 50% power sent out back split evenly to each of the rear wheels.
Old 01-07-2004, 06:46 AM

As for tires go with what Mulkey said. The Revo's seem to be very good tires from what I've heard from a friend and on Yotatech. They will be the tires that I buy next. I have BFG KO's on both my Runners and they work great in the snow. Mine have held up very well for wear and I do a lot of off roading. I have at least 20k on mine and they are not worn even half way down. Michelins seem to be one the most expensive tires out there while the Revos are cheper than the KO's.
Old 01-07-2004, 04:38 PM

Good call on the Revo's. Lots of great reviews about their performance in the snow and the long tread wear. I'm getting them put on this Friday, will shoot out a review in a couple weeks after taking them up to Tahoe.

OK - I finally understand the two 4WD modes now - thanks.