Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

experienced ISR mod anwsers needed

Old 09-22-2011, 05:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question experienced ISR mod anwsers needed

Ive searched the forum on information on the isr mod and have found some say doing the mod causing "pinging" some say that it doesn't while others say it will unless use premium or better fuel, yet there are others that say the fuel has nothing to do with it and that it all depends on the altitudee of where you live.

Im looking to get a straight answer on this, does it cause "pinging" and are any of the "stipulations" above true?

I live in Georgia and during the summers its very hot and humid, during the winter its cold but mild in comparison to more northern states, im providing this info incase it has any effect on the mod or will help in coming up with the answers i seek.

If there are any other members out there in Georgia(or any where else) that have this mod and can help answer any of these questions i would appreciate the help

Thanks yall!

Last edited by mwc0404; 09-22-2011 at 05:45 PM.
Old 09-22-2011, 06:02 PM

I did the isr mod and have not noticed any pinging. I really feel like the pinging is caused by the combination of the deckplate mod and the isr mod. i have not done the deckplate. I took the elbow off the inner fender and cut the 90 off of it and put it back. I think with the deckplate mod you have air being forced into the intake since you have a big open hole in the front being blasted with 70mph wind going down the freeway. If you still have the isr, it helps break up all that air going into the intake, but without the isr it just goes straight into the intake. I think you have to pick either the deckplate or the isr, but doing both could cause pinging. But, this is just my opinion.
Old 09-22-2011, 08:59 PM

Haven't done the mod, can't say I know.

What I would say is to do it and hook up a proper OBD-II scanner and watch your O2 sensor (upstream) voltage and the long and short term fuel trim #'s. If too much air is going into the motor the O2 and MAF *should* be informing the computer of the amount of oxygen going in and the amount coming out in the exhaust stream.

Based on that and other inputs (i.e. throttle position) the computer will adjust injector output to get the mixture back to the 14.7:1 ratio. You can see the effects of this adjustment and whether you're running lean, by looking at the upstream O2 output and the fuel trim values I mentioned above.

Originally Posted by mwc0404
Ive searched the forum on information on the isr mod and have found some say doing the mod causing "pinging" some say that it doesn't while others say it will unless use premium or better fuel, yet there are others that say the fuel has nothing to do with it and that it all depends on the altitudee of where you live.

Im looking to get a straight answer on this, does it cause "pinging" and are any of the "stipulations" above true?

I live in Georgia and during the summers its very hot and humid, during the winter its cold but mild in comparison to more northern states, im providing this info incase it has any effect on the mod or will help in coming up with the answers i seek.

If there are any other members out there in Georgia(or any where else) that have this mod and can help answer any of these questions i would appreciate the help

Thanks yall!
Old 09-22-2011, 11:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have had both mods for a few years now. I have been through rain, sleet, snow, 100* and 105% humidity weather (yes it is possible to have more than 100% humidity without it raining, ask anyone in east Texas or Louisiana) as well as dry cold weather of Utah, Nevada and Oregon. I have not had any problem with performance nor have I had any pinging on regular fuel. I only close the deckplate at the Carwash and when muddin. Zero problems here.
Old 09-23-2011, 04:10 AM
Contributing Member

The ISR should not effect anything performance wise. Other then cleaning up the engine bay it should not do a darn thing. Inside it is just an open hole, so replacing it with some pipe doesn't change a think long as all you touch is the intake silencer.

If you mess with the piping around the MAF sensor then that can lead to problems.

I just left the ISR in place, performance wise there is no reason to remove it and Doesn't bother me in the engine bay that much.
Old 09-23-2011, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by michael0584
I think with the deckplate mod you have air being forced into the intake since you have a big open hole in the front being blasted with 70mph wind going down the freeway.
Now all you need to do is put a 'Turbo' sticker on the back.
Old 09-23-2011, 06:26 PM

i tried the ebay cold air kit ....and put the stock system back on. my truck ran like crap. runs much better with all stock intake stuff.
Old 09-23-2011, 06:44 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by sharpy46
i tried the ebay cold air kit ....and put the stock system back on. my truck ran like crap. runs much better with all stock intake stuff.
Stock with the elbow removed makes more power as well.
Old 09-24-2011, 08:30 AM
jrm

once youve done the mod

reset the EFI settings by pulling out the EFI fuse for about 15 minutes then replacing it. This will allow the EFI system relearn the fuel-air mixture with the ISR mod allowing more air. Oh and mid grade fuel helps YMMV