Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Expedition Rig Advice, 2.7L or 3.4L Tacoma, or 3.4L 4Runner?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 06:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hoping to hear from those of you with real world experience with Tacomas or 4Runners, and those of you who have built them for middle of nowhere roads.

It is time for me to purchase a new Toyota (new to me) and build it for expedition use here in Wyoming. I know what you're thinking, "who goes on expeditions?", but in fact I do and must. I am a geologist and need access to seriously remote areas where a broken rig can be a multiple day walk. I need utter reliability, some fuel economy, and good clearance. I travel with the wife and dog, plus a week or two of gear at a time. I should say that an average trip may have a few hundred miles of highway, with a couple hundred of dirt, and a dozen or so of the worst possible roads (like 8 miles in two hours type roads).

I am considering and need input on a Tacoma xt. cab, pre-2005 with the 2.7L or maybe the 3.4L, or a 99-2004 4Runner with the 3.4L. I want to run a 265/75 (32") or a 285 (33") I don't mind regearing to get some mpgs back. A rear locker would also be good. Would like 18mpg or better. What do you think?

What would you recommend? and thanks for your time and advice!

Some background of my past expedition rigs for perspective:
I had an 87 yota pickup, but passed it on after 287K miles, then I killed a Jeep XJ on those roads, but it had ok fuel economy while it lasted (4 expensive years), so last year I got a Mitsubishi Montero SR with rear locker, front limited slip, 32" Hankook MTs, etc..., but it gets 14mpg on the best day and less than 6mpg on the trail! Plus it's an automatic, so it's out of here.

Last edited by Wyota; 03-05-2013 at 06:31 AM.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:14 AM

If it were me, I'd go with the 3.4 V6 4Runner. This would probably offer better protection from bad weather. Putting your dog in the back of a 4Runner would also probably be safer than in the back of a Tacoma where you might accidently toss him out on the trails. I know my black lab loves being in the back with the rear window rolled down. For extra cargo capacity, you can always get a basket or roof rack on top as well. I'd go with the 3.4 V6 as it's been proven very reliable.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:21 AM

Thanks for the input. The 4Runner for dog safety is smart. I was thinking a pickup with topper would be good for gear and a little lighter for better mpgs, but the dog might hate the extracab without a good window to hang its head out of. Definitely wouldn't keep it in the back of an open pickup.

Are the 3.4 4Runners good enough on fuel to do 18mpg or better with bigger tires?
Old 03-05-2013, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by Wyota
Thanks for the input. The 4Runner for dog safety is smart. I was thinking a pickup with topper would be good for gear and a little lighter for better mpgs, but the dog might hate the extracab without a good window to hang its head out of. Definitely wouldn't keep it in the back of an open pickup.

Are the 3.4 4Runners good enough on fuel to do 18mpg or better with bigger tires?
Your MPGs will vary alot based on how fast you drive on the highway (probably not going to get 18mpg anywhere else). Also, big roof racks, or baskets (especially filled with cargo) will also decrease MPGs. I know that having my Yakima roof rack on will dock 2-3 MPGs from my highway driving. But again, it depends on how fast you drive.

One thing I try to do is fill up with 100% gas. I have an app on my iPhone called "Pure Gas" to help locate these stations. For some reason my 4Runner gets much better mileage on 100% gas than it does with the 10% ethanol fuel.

Also, it seems like an auto transmission is out of the question for you, so I'd say a manual should be able to hit 20mpg. Although with bigger tires, I'm not sure how many MPGs that will knock off.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:41 AM

Thanks, 18mpg on the highway is my target. Who knows what it will do once on the junk roads.

Agreed the ethanol is bad on mpg, as is the winter blend here in Wyo. My 84 pickup is at 14mpg this winter and was at 19mpg last summer! Of course some of that is the 4wd.

Anyway, back on topic, is a 2.7 4Runner worth a try or would it suffer too much with bigger tires?
Old 03-05-2013, 10:19 AM

ive been around the 3.4 liters alot but i have the 2.7 liter Taco with 33in. tires and i have no problem getting in and out of those brutal conditions you described or making my own roads. nor do i have any problem with going 70+ on the freeway. its your rig so in the end you gotta pick whatever is comfortable for you but the 2.7 still has plenty of power on/off road but all while getting around 20mpg. and as far as tacoma or 4runner they both will do equally as well as far as performance so thats more opinion on comfortability for your fam. and the pup
Old 03-05-2013, 11:46 AM

Thanks for the info on the 2.7L with 33s. That is a good looking pickup. Super simple and stout as could be. Just needs a shell on it, or atleast mine would. If you're doing that in Oregon, it should work beautifully in Wyoming. Thanks for the real world info!

It looks like you're getting 20mpg with the 33x12.5s as well, not the skinier 285s! I didn't see it on your build thread, but did you regear?

I test drove a 96 Tacoma with 31x10.5 Cooper STTs. It got 17mpg and struggled at 70mph. Hense my questions on this thread. If it did anywhere near as well as your 95 I would have bought it without worry.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:48 AM
Contributing Member

Coming from someone that longs to have a rig that can do expeditions (just for fun, not work), I would go with a 3.4L tacoma with a four wheel camper. I'm going to be getting one in the next year or so and is nice because it gives you the self sufficient aspects of a camper without a lot of the apparent downsides of weight, towing something. www.fourwheelcamper.com
I'd go for the one with the diff lock, throw a supercharger on it and it should have no problem reaching your hwy MPG goals. I will likely be downsizing my truck, at least from a suspension standpoint, to better accommodate the additional weight and bring the COG back down.
There are cheaper options in the form of shells, tents and such but the FWC is going to be my choice. If you don't do the truck, the 4 runner would be my choice...
Old 03-05-2013, 11:59 AM

i had a 1998 2.7 5 speed stock tacoma with 33s. it did fine, went camping in it a few times. once, there was a storm while we were out and it rained so badly that everyone elses vehicle got stuck, crew cab dodge, 2 rangers. my tacoma and an f150 with a locker were the only ones who didnt. personally i think a truck is way more useful than a 4runner unless you have a 1st gen with the removable top. more cargo capacity. also id seen 18 mpg regularly with my tacoma. would have been better with different gears, but it still had loads of torque. i really miss that truck.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:29 PM

This question is best answered on how you plan on using your storage space. Do you plan on sleeping in the rig or outside, how much you care about cab space, etc. My 3.4 4runner is about 2000 pounds heavier than stock when fully loaded on my expo trips. Not sure the extent you plan to load your rig, but I feel I needed every bit of that 185 hp the 3.4 has to offer when going up steep passes and high altitudes. I have 33's with stock 4.30 gearing, and it's a dog as it is, I can't imagine how the 2.7 would be. But it is a great rig, the 3rd gen 4runner is an excellent expo rig platform.

If you plan on getting a rooftop tent to sleep, you'll probably want to go with a 4runner. I've heard even the best fiberglass shells will crack if you try to sleep on top of it, especially if there are 2 people up there.

With my setup with the tent on the roof, I get about 15-16 mpg. I could probably get 18 if I regeared, and having a manual tranny I'm sure would help a bit.
Old 03-05-2013, 05:10 PM

depends on what you feel you need. people swear by 22re's but theyre stupid SLOW. the 3rz i can say with a bed full of gear did incredible on hills. never had a 5vz so i cant say, but i think very highly of the 2.7. and i like timing chains over belts. thats just me though. plenty of power for anything i ever needed it to do.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:14 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Not sure the extent you plan to load your rig, but I feel I needed every bit of that 185 hp the 3.4 has to offer when going up steep passes and high altitudes.
Hey dont forget about that extra 5 ponies making it 190hp.

I dont think anybody can say anything bad about either, like mentioned above its mostly preference. Me personally id get the most power available without (reliability reducing mods) and that means going with the bigger stock engine 3.4. You will be less limited that way. But if the smaller engines limitations arent going to hold you back with your needs then the possible, and small mpg gain might be worth it. As for 4runner vs. truck goes, their both awesome, and you just started a 3,000 post argument
Old 03-05-2013, 07:50 PM

Really appreciate the input!

I plan on sleeping on the ground or in the rig if I do go the pickup way. On the ground if I go the 4Runner way. One thing I missed when I got rid of the 87 pickup was hopping under the topper and not worrying about the tent, even when fully cuddled with bags of gear. I will never miss doing 45mph on the highway with my old 22re, waiting to get packed from behind by a big truck.
The mountains are pretty big and steep here in Wyo, so probably couldn't do the roof top tent. Would be a sweet setup, but would probably roll it on an old mining road. It's hard to estimate how much weight I carry on a trip, but I imagine it adds up more than I think. 1 to 2 weeks of food and gear for the wilderness, plus water, food, and the little lady, then bags of rocks on the way out. It is enough gear that on my last rig I had heavy duty OME rear springs that were dangerous on the highway without a load to tame them.

I'm hearing nothing but good things on both engines (off course, Toyota built them), but the timing chain and slightly better mpg is a good argument for the 2.7! Just not convinced that little engine can haul all that, but want to believe. Sounds like both should get around 18 to 20 mpg with bigger tires and a load. What do you guys think driving at altitude would do to the fuel economy if anything? Some of the mountain passes are 10,000' and 11000'. I live at 7400' for a baseline. I'm sure I will be happy with whatever Toyota I end up with.

Love the input and real world experience! Thanks
Old 03-05-2013, 07:56 PM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
3.4 and either truck or runner. I would not get a 3rz(2.7) 4runner. In a tacoma it'd be okay, but for the extra weight of the runner you'd need 3.4
Old 03-06-2013, 07:16 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I also ditto the 3.4, those things are darn near bullet proof and the extra power is nice as well. Gas mileage is only slightly worse then the 4 banger so really no reason not to.

Leave it stock and take care of it and it will last forever.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:40 AM

Going to test drive a few Tacomas today. Yes, leaning toward a pickup over the 4Runner. Two 3.4Ls and a 2.7L. Will try a few more over the weekend and make a decision. Trying a 3.4 4Runner too for comparison, but it is a 99 and the Tacomas are all 2004.

I did give a 99 4Runner with the 2.7L a try. It did not like a head wind or the mountain pass, so agreed, no go on that one. Definitely couldn't carry my gear and family with bigger tires on it.

Thanks for the advice all.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:13 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Of those choices, I'd personally go with a pickup - I find them more useful for carrying things unless you need passenger space. Either engine choice is a great engine - but when I helped a friend look for a truck, I found it VERY hard to find a 2.7L w/5spd Tacoma x-cab. Both Tacomas and 4Runners had the TRD e-locker option, so that's a plus either way - but don't be fooled by sellers thinking this option makes their rig worth significantly more (just buy an ARB if they won't budge)

As and option, you might even think about a crew-cab tacoma - it will be friendlier to your dog in the back seat, you can have passengers in the back too. Cargo space is reduced, but you can still put a shell on top to keep stuff secure. As for sleeping - I'd put a roof-top tent on it if I could afford one - but they are very pricey. Lumber rack to mount it might be an option if you're worried about cracking your shell with RTT - and it gives the option to carry lumber in the future - which can actually be done with a pickup vs being SOL with a 4runner. If you're sleeping on the ground with a tent then no problemo - you might even look into a KampRite tentcot - oversize one is on my personal wishlist

Lastly - to toss a wrench into the mix.....this is what you REALLY want since you can never go wrong with an 80 or 100-series Cruiser (Toyota's flagship vehicle is overbuilt and tough as nails!)

RTT on vehicle, expedition trailer that can also carry RTT, inside you can put drawers to make sleeping platform - or seat 7 comfortably. Dog will be happy with side windows that roll down all the way. Wife will be happy with leather and butt-warmers. You'll never get stranded. V8 power at your disposal. Only thing that won't be happy is your wallet since the initial price is higher, only gets 15mpg and runs on premium - but that's ok....since you're a geologist, you're running across precious gems and gold nuggets on your rock hunts all the time, right?

and here's the article on Top 10 Used Overland Vehicles

Last edited by highonpottery; 03-06-2013 at 11:14 AM.
Old 03-06-2013, 12:18 PM
Contributing Member

Thats what I would want if truly building a rig to go anywhere from toyota^, well at least of what they sold in the US.
Old 03-06-2013, 02:01 PM

I have an 01 taco , extended cab w. v6 with a supercharger, 5 speed with stock tires. I routinely average 17 mpg. I am very pleased with the performance. As others have said its hard to find fault with either engine. I would recommend you find the cleanest truck you can and not worry too much if its a 4 or a v6. The one thing I would look for is the TRD option with the locking rear dif. My truck does not have this feature. I don't think the limited slip is that great. Good luck and post a photo whenever you decide.
Good luck.
Old 03-06-2013, 04:04 PM

If you really need to carry a Lot of gear check out the t100s. you can load them up a ton. I always tow with mine and stuff bikes and gear in the back as well. Gets up any hill with the 3.4 and 4.88s on 33s but ive never seen more than 16 mpg with my set up.

Quick Reply: Expedition Rig Advice, 2.7L or 3.4L Tacoma, or 3.4L 4Runner?