Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Exhaust system for longbed Tacoma?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 12:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Exhaust system for longbed Tacoma?

Hey guys!

I've lurked on here for a while and have tried to absorb as much info. as I could, but I finally broke down and registered. I'm new to truck/suv ownership and so far the Tacoma has been awesome, I know I made the right choice.
2004 Tacoma/Extended Cab/2wd/74.5" bed/Auto/TRD pkg.

Ok now to my question, and I did search on the topic but couldn't find anything specific. I was looking to buy a cat-back exhaust for the truck but I can't find one that fits the longbed Taco?? The only two companies I've seen that even make a cat-back are Gibson and Magnaflow, but their systems only fit the shortbed trucks. As far as I know the only shortbed trucks are the double-cabs, so what gives?! There has to be a longbed exhaust out there! Any info. would be much appreciated.

Jesse
Old 03-26-2008, 12:51 PM

Sounds like you just need to have someone put an exhaust on for you!

Welcome to Yotatech. This is a great place full of info.
Old 03-26-2008, 01:16 PM

If you're not turbo/supercharged, or have extensive engine modifications, putting an exhaust system on a 3.4L will net you pretty much nothing. If you're wanting it for the sound (which is what I'm guessing you're trying to do here), there is a much much cheaper method. Get a muffler welded on (Magnaflow, borla, or a generic at your local muffler shop). You get the sound without the $$$$.
Old 03-26-2008, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by 91Toyota
Sounds like you just need to have someone put an exhaust on for you!

Welcome to Yotatech. This is a great place full of info.
I'm sure I could buy a system made for the shortbed truck and have a muffler shop modify it to fit, or I could just create my own custom setup. I was surprised there wasn't anything out there unless you have a double-cab/shortbed Tacoma.

Oh, and thanks!
Old 03-26-2008, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by cackalak han
If you're not turbo/supercharged, or have extensive engine modifications, putting an exhaust system on a 3.4L will net you pretty much nothing. If you're wanting it for the sound (which is what I'm guessing you're trying to do here), there is a much much cheaper method. Get a muffler welded on (Magnaflow, borla, or a generic at your local muffler shop). You get the sound without the $$$$.
No I don't have any type of forced induction or any engine mods at all. I realize a cat-back exhaust won't add much power. I like your idea about welding a new muffler on though. I may end up going that way by doing some kind of custom setup.

But no one knows of any cat-backs designed for the longbed Taco?
Old 03-26-2008, 03:08 PM

I have a question...a double cab tacoma should be the same length as a long bed reg cab taco right? Why couldn't you get a cat back system?
Old 03-26-2008, 06:51 PM

Double cab short bed and extra cab regular bed tacomas sit on the same frame. The only thing different is the body and bed, running gear (including the exhaust) is the same. I'm 99.9% sure of it.
Old 03-27-2008, 06:48 AM

Ok now that makes sense!! The overall length is exactly the same with the doublecab/shortbed and extndcab/longbed! The fitment guides are a little vague on most sites I've visited, so this makes me feel better.

Thanks to you both for the help, this place is great. I'm still reading through the newbie section, those threads are full of valuable info.
Old 03-27-2008, 07:02 AM

FWIW - I own a Performance/Muffler shop here in Florida. Find a reputable shop and have them install a Magnaflow muffler for you instead of the cat-back. It's going to be a lot cheaper, Magnaflow has a lifetime warranty on their mufflers, and you can add a high flow cat at the same time or later down the road for a little more tone. It should come out cheaper than purchasing a cat-back system from somebody. check around

I added a Magnaflow muffler and high flow cat to my 99 4runner and it sounds great. It didn't turn it into a race car, but I did notice a little bit of difference in the power.

Hope it saves you some money
Old 03-27-2008, 12:32 PM

Thanks for the suggestion! I'm considering exactly what you said, buy a good performance muffler like a Magnaflow, and have a shop install it. But I'm still leaning towards the cat-back just for the convenience of swapping out the old one for the new one. And I could hang on to my stock exhaust in case I ever wanted to put it back on.

If I installed a high flow cat would that cause any problems with emissions testing? I guess it depends on exactly which cat I used?
Old 03-27-2008, 04:36 PM

That I'm not sure of. We don't have emissions testing here in Florida, so I'm not exactly sure. The high flow cats that we sell are made by Magnaflow also, so they are good quality.