Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners
View Poll Results: What Exhaust Header Do You Recomend I Should Upgrade To?
LC Engineering
40.32%
Downey (from PP)
38.71%
Stock
11.29%
Other (please specify in a responce)
9.68%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Which exhaust header should I get?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2003, 06:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post Which exhaust header should I get?

Guy's, Gal's, and whoever else might have an opinion.
Because of the latest snow event that hit Maryland, I have come into some money (snow removal buisness on the side).
So my question to those of you in the know is...
What exhaust header should I buy to replace my cracked stock header? This will be the first major upgrade performance wise to my truck. I have the stock Toyota exhaust system ( just put on last year, so the wife won't go for replacing the whole thing). But the header definitely needs to be replaced so I might as well start with a performance one.
Also I think my cat conv. guts are breaking up (rattling sound when I shut the door and the heat shield is tight), so how about a recomendation on that to?
Thanks for the help,
Fins
Old 02-20-2003, 07:11 AM

Oops.

Ooops! I just noticed you have the 22RE. I was voting for the NWOR header, but I don't know if they have one for the 22RE - I thought you had the 3.0 V6.
Old 02-20-2003, 04:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Isn't the Downy header just a rebadged LCE header????
Old 02-20-2003, 07:21 PM

toyota header

NWOR Does make a header for the 22re with all the smog and o2 sensor fittings they even make one without all that stuff. they are real good quality headers the flange at head is a 1/4 inch thick wont warp. thats the one i would recomend.the bad thing is you wont be able to use your stock exhaust over again without some serios rigging. there headers and all other brands are designed for custom 2 1/4 or 2 1/2 exhaust. so you'll have to do something to get browny points with your wife to let you get new exhaust.

Last edited by toyota parts dude; 02-20-2003 at 07:24 PM.
Old 02-21-2003, 05:18 AM

Ok I know to some of you this might be a dumb question and from what I've read, thank god I'm asking this on this board and not the other one that has my user name (totally by accident).
But here goes. What dia. is my stock exhaust? If I get a new header from any of the manufactures will I need to get a new down pipe also? Are any of the after-market headers plug-n-play with my stock down pipe or exhuast? STOP LAUGHING !!!
I am totally new to the upgrading / modification world. I am positive there is no way I can get a whole new exhaust system. And the only reason I am going to replace my header is because the stock one is cracked.
I have a buddy that is a Toyota tech and he just takes care of everything. Not to say I don't know how to turn a wrench (been working on cars since I was able to tell the difference between 9/16 and 14mm) just easier to utilize the tools at hand and my tool box is at the dealer (but I don't pay for the labor).
Sorry to be so long but I'm trying to get as much info as possible.
Thanks
Old 02-21-2003, 07:20 PM

toyota header

the factory exhaust is 1 7/8 o 2 inch. the after market headers end way down under the floor for the 22r's or re's.the pipes that come from each cylinder meat way down there and meet at one big pipe thats why you have to get diferent exhaust. i don't think they make any that you'll be able to use the factory exhaust. i have not seen any. your cheapest bet would be to go to a local junk yard and get a used stock exhaust manifold. i got one from a 85 22re with the oxygen sensor in it i'll sell.
Old 02-21-2003, 08:07 PM

Nevermind I need to read more closely before I post

Last edited by Los Gatos?; 02-21-2003 at 09:41 PM.
Old 02-21-2003, 09:21 PM

I have a NWOR header and wish I had an LC one instead. LC has a more durable finish on their headers so it should last a long time. My NWOR header on the other hand is all rusty and crappy looking.
Old 12-28-2004, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by Arnold
My NWOR header on the other hand is all rusty and crappy looking.
So is mine (3.0L.)
Had to be sent back twice too.

Did not notice any performance improvement, though it sounds meaner.
Old 12-28-2004, 12:15 PM
Contributing Member

I did a search for this on Pirate a little while ago and the large percentage suggested LCE or another I don't remember but Summit sells them.
Old 12-28-2004, 01:04 PM

LCE go for it
I have the Downey and it took alot longer to install because of the fabrication need to connect the collector to the header to the exhaust
LCE is a true bolt in worth the $$
Old 12-28-2004, 01:28 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Tacoma Dude
I did a search for this on Pirate a little while ago and the large percentage suggested LCE or another I don't remember but Summit sells them.

I remember now! Thorley! That's what the other recommendation was.
Whew! Glad I remembered it - that was really starting to bother me
Old 12-28-2004, 02:06 PM

i've had exellent results with the downey headers(v6)
Old 12-28-2004, 04:55 PM

Got mine from Stans Headers- www.stansheaders.com and am very happy with them! The one thing i did when i installed them was to go ahead and weld the exhaust directly to the header to avoid any leak problems in the future.
Old 12-28-2004, 05:58 PM

I bought a Pacesetter header for my 87 (22RE-my exhaust pipe broke off while driving back from the FS snow run) locally from a guy that bought them for his "show truck" project that he abandoned. The O2 sensor flange was located right where the steering shaft is located so I had to cut the flange off, weld up the hole, and redrill the primary tube to remount the O2 sensor on top of the tube. I also welded up the holes on the top of the exhaust ports on the flange since the holes didn't line up with the blocking plates. The paint on them sucks so I need to pull them off and repaint them as well. Other than that, well they are *okay* since I only paid $100 for them.

Last edited by seafarinman; 12-28-2004 at 06:00 PM.
Old 12-28-2004, 08:25 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Arnold
I have a NWOR header and wish I had an LC one instead. LC has a more durable finish on their headers so it should last a long time. My NWOR header on the other hand is all rusty and crappy looking.
i heard that they put a different finish on they're headers to prevent rusting and discoloring? from what i've heard, NWOR supposably makes the best headers for the 22re.
im in the same boat, but will be replacing the whole exhaust system, so im looking at getting the whole system from LC or from NWOR.
Old 12-28-2004, 11:44 PM
Contributing Member

I think a NWOR header is probally the best idea, If you dont want it to get all nasty you could just paint it with some high temp paint, but I wouldnt really care. My exhaust manafold right now has about 1/2" of mud caked on it right now. Remember its a truck....
Old 12-29-2004, 04:35 AM

Wow talk about an oldie. I forgot I even posted this poll. I went with another stock manifold seeing as funds were tight at the time and $65 dollars fit my wallet.
Old 12-29-2004, 11:14 AM
Contributing Member

haha, i just looked at the first post date! wow! so what did you get and how do you like it?
Old 12-29-2004, 05:31 PM

look up I got a regular old stock one. Wife said no way when she talked to our dealer friend and he said $65 for a stock one. Damn honest people I told him to tell her $400.

Quick Reply: Which exhaust header should I get?