Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Exhaust Header Gasket??

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2003, 01:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Exhaust Header Gasket??

Ok last questions about exhaust headers and I will leave that subject alone. In an earlier posted poll I asked which performance header you guy's prefered. Looks like a 50/50 split between LCE & Downey.

Ques. 1) I have seen a bunch of post about the Downey header gasket having to be replaced frequently. Is this really the case? I'm the type of put it on and leave it kind of guy, so I don't want to have to keep taking it off (even as little as a year) and replacing it. So my question is are the Downey gaskets a problem?

Ques. 2) I found www.truckperformance.com from a Dr. Z recomendation to someone else. They state that the Downey header & down pipe that comes with it can bolt up to a stock cat conv. Does anyone know if the LCE header has the down pipe included or is it seperate and can it bolt up to the stock cat conv. ??

I am about buy a new header (mine is cracked) and don't have the money at the moment (unless it snows 2ft again) to put on a performance exahust system. Just the header at the moment.
Please help me make up my mind.
Old 02-26-2003, 06:50 AM

Hello anyone home?? Guess I'll post on another board, I hardly get replies here. Good Luck all.
Old 02-26-2003, 07:02 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Even if your header gasket goes, its a breeze to replace on the 22RE. I have never heard of any recurring problems with the gasket itself.

Just remember to torque the bolts in proper sequence, cross torqued inside out. I dont see why you would have any issues. As for the LC matching up to the cat, why dont you give them a call or drop them an email?

I dont think you should leave the board because you got no responses. Maybe no one knows the answer to your question(s).

Old 02-26-2003, 07:30 AM

For what it's worth. I just spoke with several people at performance shops who I respect in Southern California.

All of them said that the inconsitencies in the milling of Toyota's block can mean that headers either improve, or possibly reduce, power and mileage. My question was in regards to the 6cyl 3VZ engine and I was asking which header system to buy.

Ultimately, they all suggested not to put headers on. A couple of them referred me to a company to put a 2 1/2" system on from the driver back. All agreed that this would do the most for performance / mileage.

Just my $ .02, in case it helps someone.

Cheers,

dafried
Old 02-28-2003, 02:09 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
If you want the best header hands down for the 22RE engine, contact Stan's Headers in WA. state.

Stan has been in the business longer than anyone, and he use to make Downey's header for them many years ago.

Back in '93 I had Stan put on one of his Tri-Y headers on my '90 22RE truck I had and I saw an improvement in MPG and low end torque.

The truck got totaled October of '98, and the only maintenance I had to do to the header was occasionally tighten up the bolts for the head flange.

Stan makes these headers in his shop just a little ways from my home.
They are top quality, and and I don't think you would be disappointed.

Five years on my rig and all I had to do was tighten the few bolts is pretty maintenance free in my eyes.